PDA

View Full Version : How to find email address on HDD

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi there guys and girls. I have a bit of a problem. I have a mate who's computer has just blown up and he needs the emails and email address off his HDD. How do I do this. I can not open Outlook to export them cause I have my own version running and all the emails and **** would get mixed up. How do I find them on the hadr drive. Please help.

beama
18-06-2006, 05:31 PM
it is possible using a couple methods but first we need to know
1. want operating system is your friend using?
2. want email client is he using ?

These questions relate directly to where the data is stored, example xp path is different to 98, the email client also has a bearing on these paths.

proberly the easy way is to slave the hard drive onto your system, browse the directory path then copy the relivant files to a usb pen drive then copy them back to his new pc (or repaired)

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry my bad. They have windwos XP Home and are running outlook express. Also I have chucked his HD in my computer and can see files fine so I have preformed a search on *.DBX and *.WAB and both came up with nothing. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is annoying the hell out of me. I have tryed opening his version of OE but cannot cause contains corrupt files. Please help this is his business computer and he has not donea back up. Naughty naughty boy. :D

Jen
18-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Is your friend using Outlook rather than Outlook Express? Outlook does not use the same files that OE does so you may be searching for the wrong extensions.

snoopy
18-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Did you search for hidden files & folders... ?

zqwerty
18-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Try *pst, I think.

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 06:23 PM
No he is diffinetly using Outlook Express. I have tryed the *.PST File extention now but still nothing. That do you mean hidden files or folders. I didnt think that XP PRO did that. My machin is running XP Pro and his was running home. Can I still view all of his files do you think. Interesting to know.

More ideas are great. Kepp them coming. Thanks guys :)

tweak'e
18-06-2006, 06:39 PM
make sure you can veiw hidden files, system files and "hide known file extensions" is unticked (standard anti virus tweak).

snoopy
18-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Same in XP Pro & Home, you need to turn on hidden files & folders to see these folders.

OE Messages will be in

C:\Documents and Settings\USER LOGIN\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0FB042FB-995B-40AC-B2A6-8717E8D909F3}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Address Book is in

C:\Documents and Settings\USER LOGIN\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks for that snoopy but I have tryed that. Either the files have been corrupted big time or the magic file fairy has come and taken them away. Damb that fairy, DAM HER TO HELL!!!! lol

Thanks but have tryed that. If the files arent showing up under a search of tthat hard drive I cant see them being in a preciese file directory.

Any more options. I am thinking about installing Linux on one of my computers. Do you think that I will be able to view these files through this methode?

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Also can someone clarfy exactly what the WAB.exe does. Does it open the .WAB files that you have in your outlook express store folder or does it open .WAB associated with the opertaion. Help with this would be great. Thanks guys ;)

snoopy
18-06-2006, 08:09 PM
When you did your search, did you select more advanced options & get it to search in hidden files & folders ?

Can you see the folders I listed ?

If the user had a lot of messages & hadn't compacted them regularly they would be corrupted & may not be recoverable, in this case you could try DBXtract

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23383,00.asp

snoopy
18-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Also can someone clarfy exactly what the WAB.exe does. Does it open the .WAB files that you have in your outlook express store folder or does it open .WAB associated with the opertaion. Help with this would be great. Thanks guys ;)

"Google is your friend"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217125

CaptinMoor
18-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Snoopy. Yes I am aware of google and have been googling all night. But it is sometimes more usefull asking people that may have had the same problem and have resolved it. The path that you stated did not work as there where folders there that did not excist in this hard drive. Weird. I got the same paths from MS OE website and didnt work then either. Its a real mind F**K :waughh: I have used PC file insepcter that has seemed to work in the past but could not bring anything up in regards to OE files. Well just keep thinking I guess and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help though.

snoopy
18-06-2006, 09:08 PM
These are the default postions, it is possible, of course, to move the mail storage folders anywhere on the drive or even onto another partition or drive.

snoopy
18-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Try your Linux idea, just use a live CD like Knoppix & see if anything magically appears....

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I was about to recount a story of how searching the hard drive for DBX and WAB files prior to reformatting a computer did not turn up the files I was after but they were found by drilling down the Documents and Settings folder to the location that Snoopy posted. Then I read the entire thread properly and discovered that you had no joy with that one so that information won't be of any help to you.

It really irks me that Microsoft have made it a real pain to locate and backup important files such as your emails and address book. Why they couldn't plonk them into an "Outlook Express" folder within My Documents and be done with I don't know, but it would make life a whole lot simpler when it comes to backups.

Do your mate a favour and convince him to ditch poxy OE and switch to Eudora. He won't have this kind of nonsense happen again then.

</rant>

Greg
19-06-2006, 12:28 PM
If you're desperate here's a roundabout way that SHOULD work, whether he's got the address entered in the address book or not. If the email address he wants is not in the address book but is contained within an email he's received or sent at some stage it should still work.

Get either Mozilla (the Browser that includes Messenger) or Thunderbird. Install it.

Run the email programme (Thunderbird or Mozzila Messenger) and use the Tools / Import application to import all his address book entries and messages.

If the address is in the address book you're sorted. If not you might find a sent or received message in the sent or received folders. If not, eg if they've been deleted then if the folder hasn't been compressed:

Browse to the folder that's set up in the preferences - usually Documents and Settings.... etc. There you'll be able to open all his old emails in a text editor - browse through the document till you find a message either sent to the required person or from them. Hey presto you'll find the address.

If you get that far and still stuck let us know.

CaptinMoor
19-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Right I have found the files but they are in several file formats .MBX .DBX .MBS and .IDX. All of which dont seem to be able to be imported into any mail client. I now that .DBX is a common OE file extention but does not want to import them. What am I doing wrong.

Please help. Its so annoying that they are there and I just cant open them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys your help has been greaty appreciated

FoxyMX
19-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Did you try the DBXtract program?

If that won't extract the emails from the DBX files then you might be out of luck. :(

Greg
19-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Try opening them in Notepad or Wordpad

CaptinMoor
19-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi there Guys. Issue is resolved. I located the .DBX files using search for the latest modefied files of that type. Used the OE Viewer to open them and view them them save to another location on HD in .EML format. Then it was as simpl as dragging and dropping. Wow all that time and effort for that.

Its all sorted thanks to all your imput. Cheers.

:) :) :)

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear you finally fixed it. Thanks for letting us know the solution. :thumbs: