PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot, or Orcon

Myth
18-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Right, my 12 month contract is almost up (in last month now) with Xtra, so I have been doing some looking around. (Reasons for leaving Xtra, I can get more download with others for the same price, have had some [minor but annoying] issues with Xtra, and I always like to look around).
Two choices (well there was 3 but Maxnet is hardly known imho) as an alternative seem to be better to me (yes note the absence of ihug, there are reasons I don't like them and will never go back to them). Those being Slingshot, and Orcon.

Now, this thread isn't the basis for a flame war, nor do I want it to become one. I know there are others (Actrix, Xnet and so on); but these 2 are all I am interested in. All I want to know is this:
Are you with either Slingshot or Orcon?
Any latency, disconnection issues? (ok one in a blue moon is acceptable, but monthly would not be)
Have you ever been with either of these 2?
If so, why did you leave?

In certain regards Slingshot shines through (your ability to volunteerily buy extra download - Orcon from my questions of their phone helpdesk just bill you for extra chunks automatically), but I have also heard good things of Orcons stability... hence why the indecision

rogerp
18-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Actually Maxnet operate their own datacentre and provide services to other ISPs and providers. They may not be too known in the residential market, but they are big in the business market. I'm with Slinshot, and I wouldn't say that it is fantastic, as I have had quite a few outages in only a month since I have been with them, but all ISPs are affected by these. There have been a lot of complinats about orcon, but I am not on sure how there service is now, but they have recently put their prices up.

paul_nz
18-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I am with MaxNet both residentially & my business ... I have used the services of Xtra, Ihug and TelstraClear in the past with various business interests.

MaxNet have proved to be the best in all respects from my prospective ... touch wood in 12 months I have never had an outage that has been caused by MaxNet (apart from the odd mirco outage to be expected with ADSL) the only longer (annoying) outage was in fact a network fault with the Telecom equipment in the local switch.

Prescott
18-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I have Orcon Dail Up and its really good.

johnd
18-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I am with Xnet myself - but look after a small school using Maxnet - been good but have had two episodes with DNS playing up and web sites being unavailable - they could be visited using TCP/IP nos only or via another provider. Not sure what their problem was - they fixed it when we contacted them.

JJJJJ
18-06-2006, 07:18 PM
IHug. Better by far. :)

Viv K
18-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I have been with slingshot for years, since nearly the beginning. I started with Xtra and soon realised they were ripping us off. Slingshot have been great. They get better and better. They even contacted me to offer me a cheaper plan, as they had monitored my usage and offered me faster Broadband at a cheaper price. The three most important criteria, price, helpdesk and continuity of service have been met. Outages are rare. :)

pctek
18-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Not Orcon.

stu161204
18-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Not Orcon.

Why?

jesse_jax
18-06-2006, 09:42 PM
im with orcon 2mbit, and im changing next month, was thinking of a smaller wireless company(wired country) but they are expensive, but i still might go with them as they can give me a super low latency in my gaming.

reason im leaving orcon, there ''2mbit'' isnt 2mbit, its like...400k, i download at 50kbps, and i can download 4 things at that before it slows down..if i use a internet download manager and do multiconnections it goes to 300kbps downloading but i still dont like the fact i have to do that..

so yeah im thinking ihug, slingshot, or wired country atm. if someone can recommend something, im listening.

Lawrence
18-06-2006, 10:03 PM
With Orcon dialup at the moment, daytime good but night is the worse since I have been on the net (9) years. Interesting to see their Broadband is suspect as well which does not surprize me. Will be changing to broadband as area has been wired for it

Myth
18-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Not Orcon.I would be interested in why (as in why not Orcon?)

BTW thanks for the comments, keep em coming. The first couple warrant a relook at Maxnet

roddy_boy
19-06-2006, 04:48 AM
I used to be on Orcon's Unlimited 256K plan, and was quite happy with the service they provided, we got the speeds they promised and the pings were reasonable (~80 - 100 ms on NZ servers). However, once they took away the unlimited, we changed to Xnet, who I am also very happy with.

Edit: Oh, and forgot to mention, my parents are with Slingshot, who also seem to be good.

Ninjabear
19-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Had orcon last year.It was ok.Connection was pretty ok at 256k

Left them at the end of the year and joined ihug.They had better caps and better pricing.

Didn't regret one bit .Just look at their pricing now!

My friend who uses msn,chats alot,frequently checks email, and surf the net and uses the net an average of 4 hours a day usually use more than 200MB a month so the $20 plan is even rubbish to a person who doesn't download at all!

Ninjabear
19-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Did i say usually?

I should say 100% likely to use more than 200mb

How can anyone survive with 200mb?

It's impossible

Jimmy D
19-06-2006, 09:18 AM
you could not even use your computer and the automatic updates, virus scanner updates and possibly firewall updates would use up the 200mb..

my ex gf is with slingshot, it seems reasonable, download speed is what it is and no outages i've known about.

Robby
19-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Gidday,

Joined slingshot about a month ago, have had no problems at all,so far,
I'm on the rubber band (256/128) but the attraction for me was the 3GB cap,
which as far as I can see is the biggest out there.

I have had no problems with speed, using a web site test, I got 262/130 which could be rubbish of course, but still delighted with it.

cheers,

Robby

Greven
19-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I used to be on Orcon's Unlimited 256K plan, and was quite happy with the service they provided, we got the speeds they promised and the pings were reasonable (~80 - 100 ms on NZ servers). However, once they took away the unlimited, we changed to Xnet, who I am also very happy with.

Thats pretty much my story, but I have found that Xnet slows down considerably during peak times (usually just for an hour or 2 as everyone gets home from work)

Sweep
19-06-2006, 11:01 AM
You may want to try this link which I received today via Stuff News via NZCity.

www.ispfind.co.nz (http://www.ispfind.co.nz/)

I have looked at the site and think it may be useful to people evaluating ISPs. Note that all providers are not in all places in New Zealand. Good for comparing plans.

I use Orcon myself and find they are quite reliable. Price wise you may be able to do better. I can get a slightly cheaper plan by going elsewhere but the site above gives no guide as to reliability, latency or ping times etc. Latency and ping times do not worry me very much as I don't play on line games. I could add that I have never had to phone a help desk other than to find a password that a person I am helping can't remember and therefore do not know help you may or may not need.

Make of it what you will. Vote with your feet and/or wallet.

Original article link here:-
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3703851a28,00.html

stu161204
19-06-2006, 11:59 AM
You may want to try this link which I received today via Stuff News via NZCity.

www.ispfind.co.nz (http://www.ispfind.co.nz/)

I have looked at the site and think it may be useful to people evaluating ISPs. Note that all providers are not in all places in New Zealand. Good for comparing plans.

Another site like that one is: http://www.internetchoice.co.nz/

kennie
19-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I would say they are all the same with Telecom being the wholesaler. Difference between all would be customer service and helpdesk. If you are a p2p user I think Ihug or Xtra. I have a friend who uses Ihug 3.5/128 and speeds from what I see are great. Xtra usually provides full speed to their customers, after all they are the monopoly for broadband here except in Wellington where Telstra Clear provides cable. I am with WorldNet since dialup and now I am broadband, I have never had problems with them. I am on the 2M Go 2G plan, upgraded free of charge, but at the moment there is a churn fee ISPs charge if you are to change from one ISP to another. Slingshot I think is fine but I find helpdesk and customer service is second place Xtra being worst. If you feel you will not run in to any problems and have to call helpdesk etc I think Slingshot would would be the choice of the two.

Prescott
19-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I have heard that Orcon packet shape, so it may get a little tricky if you use BT

yzhu
19-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I am currently connected through Xtra's Broadband Explorer (3.5Mbits/128Kbits, 5GB) plan.

I think XTRA packet shape BitTorrent traffic. Or something along the lines of that, because when I start running BitTorrent, then my entire (incl. HTTP traffic) internet speed gets slowed down. When I close BitTorrent, the speed goes back up. They limit traffic to around 40 Kbytes (this includes all traffic).

I also have a feeling XTRA is slowing my broadband speed down at peak times - I do not think this is local exchange congestion. These times are around 5:30-8:30pm. I find that at these times, I can only download at around 800Kbit/s. The speed goes back up to just over 2Mbits after these times.

Myth
19-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I am currently connected through Xtra's Broadband Explorer (3.5Mbits/128Kbits, 5GB) plan.

I think XTRA packet shape BitTorrent traffic. Or something along the lines of that, because when I start running BitTorrent, then my entire (incl. HTTP traffic) internet speed gets slowed down. When I close BitTorrent, the speed goes back up. They limit traffic to around 40 Kbytes (this includes all traffic).

I also have a feeling XTRA is slowing my broadband speed down at peak times - I do not think this is local exchange congestion. These times are around 5:30-8:30pm. I find that at these times, I can only download at around 800Kbit/s. The speed goes back up to just over 2Mbits after these times.Same plan I'm on, yet I have had no problems with the few torrents I do download. Maybe its a regional thing

BTW, thanx for the comments all, definitely gives me something to think about in the next month or so

rob_on_guitar
19-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Slingshot. Only been on for a month or so, had no worries with them, I got the 5gig deal for $39.95. I dont dl much or anything so it suited me.

Never used orcon so I wouldnt be able to comment on it.

Buff_K
01-07-2006, 05:10 PM
When they say 'with tolls' does that simply mean that any toll calls you do make will be charged to the ISP?

What if you don't make any?

I make bugger all, and when i do i use a calling card - its cheaper.

rob_on_guitar
01-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Your toll calls come like a phone bill but you can choose to have them included in your normal monthly bill or seperate as a tolls only bill.

Buff_K
01-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Just had a look at the Ihug website, initially thougth it looked good for $50 15gig, but, 5 gig of that is peak time and get this peak is 10am to 2am! 2am!

C'mon!

Gip.

Thought I had a winner....

ojos
01-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I tried slingshot, didnt have any problems.

Tried Orcon and they stuffed up the billing.
I sent them a message to fix it and they came back five days later with a load of garbage for a reply.
I cancelled with them

see ya
Ojos

Myth
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Just an update to this thread:
After hearing your comments, doing my own research (including a few calls to various ISPs), and talking with SWMBO; I have decided to go with Slingshot at the end of my contract (a week or 2 away). As I already have a router, and Slingshot have free connection, I don't need to stick with a contract so will see how Slingshot go.

Thank you all for your comments, they definitely helped :)

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
How about Actrix? I don't know about Orcon or Slingshot but I think Actrix is good even I didn't use it yet.

FoxyMX
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
How about Actrix? I don't know about Orcon or Slingshot but I think Actrix is good even I didn't use it yet.
If you have never used Actrix then how do you know they are good? :rolleyes:

Prescott
03-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Maybe his friends use it?

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
If you have never used Actrix then how do you know they are good? :rolleyes:

My friend said it good and their plan is better. We have limit usage for every day not every month. If you want, go to this link for more information http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/highspeed/cyberjet.php

FoxyMX
03-07-2006, 08:16 PM
My friend said it good and their plan is better.
Fair enough. :)

I used to use Actrix for dialup and found them good but I haven't used them for ADSL.

jesseycy
03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm using Actrix, 700mb/day ~21gb/mth. 2Mbps/128kbps, and $55 per month (old pricing for old customers)...

Their service is very good, responded promptly to any problems I had. Speeds are good off peak too, reaching the full 2Mbps.. But during peak times, it does slow down, to about 600-1100kbps, maybe server capacity?

But well, I'm in it for the daily caps, quite a nice system rather than running downloads full blast and then being restricted for half a month to slow dial up!

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm using Actrix, 700mb/day ~21gb/mth. 2Mbps/128kbps, and $55 per month (old pricing for old customers)...

Their service is very good, responded promptly to any problems I had. Speeds are good off peak too, reaching the full 2Mbps.. But during peak times, it does slow down, to about 600-1100kbps, maybe server capacity?

But well, I'm in it for the daily caps, quite a nice system rather than running downloads full blast and then being restricted for half a month to slow dial up!

Actrix is very good, isn't it? Can I ask you one question? Do we have a free modem and free connection when we apply it? And If I am using Telecom and I want to change to Actrix, do I need to pay any money to cancel Telecom and change to Actrix? Thanks.

paulw
04-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Yep their pricing looks good but for the extra $10 you have to pay if you don't use their toll service. I'm staying with Orcon at present until the LLU gets sorted and we see who is offering what..

nodrog
04-07-2006, 02:35 PM
At home:- Slingshot dialup at home and went to 3gb plan with free modem, connection, 3 months free etc. Setup went without a hitch, although took about a week to 10 days. Helpline service is great, email notification when 75% bandwidth used, extra capacity is quite cheap...blah blah blah very happy really.
Oh yeah, connection fell over a few times but seems to be stable now. Could have been the exchange as we had a service outage with the landline. Took telecom 10 days to fix a faulty fuse? in the exchange. They diverted all landline calls to my mobile but as my tolls go through slingshot, slingshot charged me $35.00 for the calls to mobile. I am still trying to recover the $35.00 from telecom.

At work:- Orcon dialup and looking to go to broadband. Orcon wants $250.00 setup as we have 7 extensions off a PABX - reducing to $149.99 for a 12 month contract. Still have to pay for modem as well and filters.
Dialup service has been good and stable and helpdesk great on the two occassions they were needed.
Haven't made a choice on provider yet for broadband - still reviewing offers.

Good luck

RandomCarnage
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I was formally with Slingshot and am now with Orcon.

Slingshot I would avoid like the plague. I signed up with their BB plan for 1 year but became so disallusioned with their service within 6 months that I was willing to pay the penalty early disconnection fee to be rid of them.

Their customer service is amature, assuming you can get through at all inside of an hour. I am not an expert, but I am a genius compared to some of the so called "help" their CSR's were trying to give me. All they did was run off a list (the same list every time) and then they actually gave up on the problem and said ring back tomorrow if I haven't fixed it by then!

Then there is their billing system. Most of the invoices I recieved were wrong. They kept billing me even after I had been moved to Orcon by telecom's tech's. It took 5 months after my last slingshot download before they finally stopped billing me, and then they had the audacity to tell me it was my fault for not giving them written notice, despite having talked personally to their accounts and service people on 3 seperate occasions asking for it to be resolved and being advised by both telecom and orcon that written notice was not required.

Orcon is much better. I have the 3.5Mbit plan, and although I have some concerns over their stability, they are a relief after Slingshot. Their billing, while not the simplest of formats, is at least consistant and apparently accurate. They do however have some problems with providing the speeds they claim (yes I know its variable and not always their fault) but there has yet to be a full month go by where I don't lose connection for a number of hours or get very slow speeds (pages on multiple sites timing out while trying to connect). Again, their CSR tech's could use some real training rather than simply read through a list of things to try, but unlike slingshot at least they persevered until my problem was resolved. Slingshot ran out of things on their list and basically gave up and left me to it.

Over all, Orcon isn't perfect, but passable. Slingshot may suit some people, but my experience with them means I'll never go back, and I'll warn as many people off them as I can.

JJJJJ
07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I have never been with Slingshor or Orcon so I only know what I read.
It seems to me that a lot of recommendations for these companies are being posted by people who have gained their knowledge by reading the advertisemants. Not good enough.
I am halfway through my second year of broadband with Ihug. I do not have a single complaint with their service. Their telephones are answered by a living person within a few seconds and I have never had to wait to get a technitian.
I have not had a single complaint about anything that is to do with Ihug. There was a problem a month or two ago , but it was telecom's fault. I connect to Ihug everytime at 330+ kbs. My speeds are Download Speed: 3240 kbps (405 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
These are about average.
And I live in an area that Telecom rates as "borderline"
I am on a plan that gives me 5 gigs peak time plus 10 gigs off peak
And it costs $49 per month,with toll calls.

What more could anyone want?

Myth
27-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Just an update to this thread...
Have changed to Slingshot.
Was originally told about 4 days to change over the tolls and up to 10 days after for broadband to be changed over with maybe half a day of no broadband.
Actual time was 3 days for the tolls; with broadband connected 3 days later.
Downtime was from sometime after I went to work (7.30pm) to when I reset the router with new account details in the morning (about 10am). I noted the no broadband when I got home from work, was just to tired to do any thinking.

Speeds thus far are an average of 2.5Mbps down (3.5 max) and 128 kbps up (128)
As I'm not under contract, I will see what happens speedwise and possibly talk to Slingshot about it if it drops off too much.
Incidentally, with Xtra I was getting on average ~3.2Mbps (just there wasn't as much value for money with only half the download limit and tolls are slightly dearer 2 hourly)

Incidentally, anything over 2Mbps (at this point in time) will keep me happy as most of my downloading is torrents so its the capacity I was after

Daniel.Drache
10-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I would like to add my bit about Ihug, because I'm looking for a new ISP & I wanna share my experience :)

broadband with Ihug. I do not have a single complaint with their service. Their telephones are answered by a living person within a few seconds and I have never had to wait to get a technitian.
I have not had a single complaint about anything that is to do with Ihug. There was a problem a month or two ago , but it was telecom's fault. I connect to Ihug everytime at 330+ kbs.

Personally, I've been with Ihug since April, was with Xtra for about 2 years previously.
My wait times for Ihug phone's are average of 15 min, I haven't had less then 10 min (yes I started timing them after a while)
My speed with xtra was 330+ kbs but with Ihug I'm lucky to get 120 kbs

rob_on_guitar
10-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Well im happy with slingshot. entering third month, help has been good especially for a computer challenged like myself. No probs

Ron24
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Have been with Ihug for about ten years, after many offers to change and seing friends duck and dive from one ISP to another I am satisfied with what I have.
None are perfect but relax and enjoy what you have...Ron24..