PDA

View Full Version : Increased Download Speeds

amyes5
16-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I have always been under the impression that download speeds were dictated by the ISP one was connected to and/or what the site you were downloading from allowed.However I have just changed from using a computer using Windows ME to one using XP & find that my download speeds have quadrupled plus - much to my delight. I have been quite happy with the speeds on my ME computer & can confirm that the only variation has been going from one computer to another.I am still going to same sites,same time of day,same type of files.I now have to ask do faster processors/memory etc mean faster downloads.Will next months "big thing" be even faster???

pctek
16-06-2006, 12:44 PM
It depends on lots of factors. Your plan - the speed that is. Whether or not your local exchange can cope, whether your lines are working fine or not, how much other traffic there is. And MALWARE.

I hope you have a 3rd party firewall, antivirus and at least two antispyware progrms set up and used regularly on the new PC?

If not, expect the speed to degrade as all the malware rushes to report home at once....

FoxyMX
16-06-2006, 01:14 PM
It is true that older and slower computers are slower on the internet to a certain degree.

The biggest reason for the faster speed is more likely what pctek has posted above, however.

Jimmy D
16-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Yep, there was probably ALOT of spyware and the like on your ME computer which would have been hogging bandwidth

Battleneter
16-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Technically ME is no slower than XP downloading. I would go for either spyware/malware or you are mistaking kbps with KB/s.

amyes5
16-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks Guys for your comments.Food for thought.I would describe my computer habits as "cautious plus" & do have Firewall/Spyware programs in place which I check regularly.I have had a couple of trojans/spyware over the past year but believe I had removed them.Who knows.Anyway I will closely watch my speeds to see if it does start to fall off. Thanks again

pctek
16-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I would describe my computer habits as "cautious plus" & do have Firewall/Spyware programs in place which I check regularly.I have had a couple of trojans/spyware over the past year but believe I had removed them.Who knows.
Which firewall?
Which antispyware? How often do you scan with them>?

Graham L
16-06-2006, 03:30 PM
It's probably just that you now have a clean fresh installation. A reinstallation of ME might have given the same result. ;)

Entropy rules.

tweak'e
16-06-2006, 06:16 PM
also whats not mentioned is the type of intenet access. you can tweak it for dailup but if you go to adsl it will be very slow.

the ME pc might just had poor modem drivers.

also it all depends on what you call slow and fast.