PDA

View Full Version : Photo red-eye removal

bk T
15-06-2006, 12:33 PM
What program can I use to remove 'red-eye' of a picture? I've access to Photoshop 7 but could not find this red eye removal tool.

Can someone point me to the correct direction?

Cheers

somebody
15-06-2006, 02:01 PM
A free program like Picasa2 does the job nicely. As far as I'm aware, PS7 doesn't have a "red-eye removal tool" as such.

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Picassa is one of the best, but there's also Microsoft's Picture It! and it has a very good editor.

suyin
15-06-2006, 02:09 PM
PC World's article here (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/a4792c3d54d31006cc2571160036ff86/6b50625dae1904e5cc256c220015de98!OpenDocument).

Another method here (http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/nosearch/n-psredeye.htm)

The easiest way, for me, is the method as described below:

This is a slight variation on red eye removal tips you may have seen elsewhere, but its very quick and very effective.

1. Select the sponge tool (an option next to the dodge and burn tools--letter "O" in Photoshop 7). The level of desaturation you set doesnt seem to matter but 50% seems a safe option.

2. Select a brush size equivalent to but not bigger than the size of the subject's pupils.

3. Mouse click accurately on the pupil until the desired level of red eye fix has been achieved

Newteach
16-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Have a go at Picassa, It's brilliant for the simple stuff like red eye, plus it does a pretty good job at emailing pics. Click on the email button and it attaches a smaller email sized pic to your default email prog without all the hassles. Download for free.

Newteach

rob_on_guitar
16-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Photoshop 7 has it. you have to go through the effects menu I think,been a while...

bk T
16-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Photoshop 7 has it. you have to go through the effects menu I think,been a while...

Couldn't find the tool. Remembered vaguely that I ever used Photoshop 7 to remove the red eye fairly easily .

Have tried all the other softwares suggested in this thread but find it difficult to get a good job done.

Renmoo
16-06-2006, 11:38 PM
This is odd, I can't find this in Photoshop 6. I thought removing red-eye is suppose to be one of the commonest features that a photo-manipulation program, even at the most basic level, should have?

If you have Microsoft Office 2002 / 2003 installed, you can remove the red eye via Microsoft Office Picture Manager if you can be bothered installing Picasa2 (which I, along with others, recommend using).

Cheers :)

Renmoo
16-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Have tried all the other softwares suggested in this thread but find it difficult to get a good job done.
You found it hard using Picasa2? :eek:

If you really find it difficult removing the red eye, perhaps you might consider uploading the photo to DanielF's ImageF1 and let us try and remove the red spot.

Cheers :)

Metla
17-06-2006, 03:45 PM
PS7 doesn't have an automated red-eye tool, no need for it, Just zoom into the affected spot untill you can see the pixels, select em with the correct tool, (forget what its called, but it will grab all the red pixels, then either paint over it or adjust the levels.

Takes all of 4 or 5 seconds.

And Picassa2 does do a pretty good job, if you like people to have grey eyes....

MMM
17-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Photoshop Elements 4 has an auto tool to remove red eyes, which is good but did notice that in a couple of group shots, that sometimes it only does one eye of the person and leaves the other one red :confused:
? there is a default as to how many it can do.

Prefer to do it manually myself, as the auto way doesn't look too natural.

rob_on_guitar
19-06-2006, 06:49 PM
On Photoshop 7 you go to effects, scroll down to 'enhance photo' the at the bottom of the list should have red-eye removal. :)

Misty
19-06-2006, 08:43 PM
You will be best guided by previous members who suggest Picasa2 (correct spelling, by the way - SurferJoe must have the Yankee spelling !!). However if you really get stuck Irfanview has red eye reduction under "Image".
Misty :)

Metla
19-06-2006, 09:08 PM
On Photoshop 7 you go to effects, scroll down to 'enhance photo' the at the bottom of the list should have red-eye removal. :)

Effects?

Where is ths effects button that you speak of?

I cant remember PS7 having such a button, nor can I find trace of one in CS2. Perhaps you have a 3rd party plug-in installed?

Sweep
19-06-2006, 09:21 PM
PaintShop works for me. Not sure what Irfanview will do.

Picasa2 will take over where your pictures are stored but will not change the original which is important.

rob_on_guitar
19-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Effects?

Where is ths effects button that you speak of?

I cant remember PS7 having such a button, nor can I find trace of one in CS2. Perhaps you have a 3rd party plug-in installed?

Hmm, my effects menu is right besides my image menu. I havent added any extra downloads or upgrade.

....maybe it because i have paint shop pro 7???

if so my bad.... :o

Metla
19-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Picasa2 will take over where your pictures are stored

Id hate to be picky 3 times in a short thread, but what the hell, Im an ex-Jaffa, I can do it.

How exactly does Picasa2 take over how the pics are stored?

It doesn't touch em, just displays em.....

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 06:03 AM
No MET, I've noticed that too...Picassa changes the associations when you have it....it will also "grab" the pixs and it forcibly "asks" you to import them.

I allow it of course, and I have no real troubles wth that happening.

If you dump Picassa, then another viewer/editor will grab the associations for itself anyway so there's actually no problems.

SurferJoe46
20-06-2006, 06:10 AM
You will be best guided by previous members who suggest Picasa2 (correct spelling, by the way - SurferJoe must have the Yankee spelling !!). However if you really get stuck Irfanview has red eye reduction under "Image".
Misty :)

And I thought the "II" appendage on the name meant two "ss"s

Actually, I should spell it correctly, but I have two puters with the same program, and I get confused, so I use the mis-spelled one on this desktop, and the correct spelling on desktop #2.

Now...I really hated Irfanview. It seemed too "grabby" for me, and I quickly deleted the prgm; the extensions all resorted back to Picasa's anyway when I did that.

Funny what we get used to and don't like to change. I shop around for a better or neater viewer/editor..but so far I have come back to stick with Picasa for the "Hello" and e-mail ability.

FoxyMX
20-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Now...I really hated Irfanview. It seemed too "grabby" for me, and I quickly deleted the prgm;
I'm not sure what you mean by that Joe, as I haven't found Irfanview "grabby" at all. When you install the program it very politely asks you which extensions you wish to have associated with it right at the beginning and even if you change your mind later it is very easy to change them back in its options.

Along with FastStone, Irfanview is my favourite image viewer.