PDA

View Full Version : USB modem problem

Tom42
14-06-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a XH1147 DSE USB modem. If I try to connect to the net (dialup) and I get connected first time - no problem. If the modem has to redial or if I disconnect and redial a box appears on the screen saying "opening port" and nothing happens. I can only get out of it by rebooting. If I Ctrl Alt Delete there is no applications running.There appears to be no conflicts in the device manager. Win XP. I have the latest driver for the modem.

godfather
14-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Welcome to PressF1

Software modems (internal PCI winmodems) are prone to conflicts at the best of times, USB modems are usually just an internal modem with the added overhead of the USB interface.

They depend entirely on the main CPU instructing their every operation (unlike serial RS232 modems which are independent of the main CPU) and therefore dependent on every installed program, driver, Windows process and hardware item "playing nicely".

You could try updating the motherboard chipset drivers which control the USB hardware, (in fact every driver). It's possibly a driver conflict somewhere, but there would be no guarantee it's fully resolvable.