PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Corrupt Files

CaptinMoor
14-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I there guys. I have a 3.5" floppy disc that some has asked me to try and recover some files from. I put the disc in A:\ but computer comes up with there is a error on the disc and cannot read it. I understand that the disc is corrupt but is there anyway that I can look at excatly what is on the disc, corroupt or not, with out bloody windows bossing me around thinking that it knows best. I just want to know if there are any fragments of files left on there. Any assistance with this problem would be super.

Thanks

snoopy
14-06-2006, 10:44 AM
TRy
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.html

Graham L
14-06-2006, 03:08 PM
As always, the first step is to remove the write protect tab: don't just open it, flick the tab out. ;) This should stop any software trying to "fix" it.

Any Linux system (even a live CD version) can extract any data on the floppy.
dd if=/dev/fd0 bs=512 of=floppy.bad will create a file with all the blocks. It won't have any file system ... but it's only a 1.44 MB file.

But that pcinspector seems to be well regarded; I haven't used it, but try it first.

CaptinMoor
14-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks Guys. Once again posting an F1 Thread comes through due to the wealth of knowledge of its users. Thanks I reall appreciate all your help. If there was any way I could repay you I would.

All the best :thumbs: :thumbs: