PDA

View Full Version : cd drive wont open

jonp
13-06-2006, 10:11 PM
i press the button. it makes a clunk but nothing happens.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Jen
13-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Have you got a CD stuck in the drive? Try using the manual release option. There should be a tiny pin hole on the front. If you unfold a paperclip, try pushing it into this hole and see if you can manually release the door.

jonp
13-06-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks jen

i opened it using the manual release thingy and there is no cd in there. when i close it will reopen if i push the button before it shuts entirely. if it does shut then its back to the manual method.

Jen
13-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a faulty drive mechanism. Maybe time for a new CD drive or even upgrade to a DVD/CD combo drive?

DUNK
13-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Try this...
Open 'My Computer' > right click on the 'drive' > choose 'eject' ..
See if that works ....
It does for me (Under 98SE)
Regards. :)

Agent_24
14-06-2006, 12:12 AM
my old cyberdrive CW038D does that.
It will open if I leave a disc in there, but if I don't, it needs a paperclip.

I disassembled it once but couldn't find anything obvious.....

If getting it open with a paperclip doesn't fix it straight off, take it back if it's still under warranty.

If not, why not get a dvd-writer? - you can get ones that do everything for $65 new

SurferJoe46
14-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Has anyone else access to your puter?

I had my wife, who cannot reset the clock on a vcr, try to play a dvd in one of my drives once. It spun up so fast that it blew the disc into smitherines. She had a local child (we import them for various purposes), and he cleaned it out so well I didn't know what happened.

The pinhole worked to open, but after I disassembled the unit, I found lots of disc shards inside.

Cleaned it as best I could and it is still working today. I also kept the wife.

straitjacket
14-06-2006, 07:08 AM
I know this sounds butcherish, but it works for me - I have a cyberdrive dvd reader, does the same thing, just clunks when you try and open it sometimes...I have settled on the high tech method of giving the case a firm tap just above the drive and voila it opens every time. I know its not permanent but if you dont want to buy a new one . . . alternatively you could get a new dvd-rw for about $80