PDA

View Full Version : Im going insane!

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I recently purchased a motherboard and cpu off trademe, got them home to find out that the motherboard would return continous beeping, eg memory error. So i replaced the dimm i was using with 2 other dimms to see if it worked, no success. So i got a different cpu and tried it on the motherboard, still no success, gave me same error code. Thinking it could be problem with motherboard I went out and purchased another motherboard, installed everything, still same problem, changed dimm brand/configuration and still no success. I have tried everything I can think of, taking out the cmos batery to reset bios, different dimms in different slots.

Occasionally one of the motherboards does not beep but does not display anything on the screen, so I tried putting a gfx card in, still no difference, neither the gfx card or integrated would display anything. I am nearly at the end of my tether, about to throw it all out!

Does anyone have ANY ideas on what could be causing this?
Everything has been second hand, but have been reassured over and over that the stuff was working when it was shipped.

The only problem I can forsee is that I am using ddr400 dimms on old socket478 motherboards which supports 266, but I have never had the problem before in other instances, the ddr400 dimms have just underclocked themselves.

Myth
13-06-2006, 04:39 PM
What sort of motherboard (brand, model)?

Usually a continuous beep is associated with RAM issues, but this is BIOS specific (hence if we know the motherboard we can find what BIOS it uses)

Using DDR400 should have no problems on a 266 Mobo (I use DDR400 on a mobo that supports DDR333)

straitjacket
13-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I recently purchased a motherboard and cpu off trademe, got them home to find out that the motherboard would return continous beeping, eg memory error. So i replaced the dimm i was using with 2 other dimms to see if it worked, no success. So i got a different cpu and tried it on the motherboard, still no success, gave me same error code. Thinking it could be problem with motherboard I went out and purchased another motherboard, installed everything, still same problem, changed dimm brand/configuration and still no success. I have tried everything I can think of, taking out the cmos batery to reset bios, different dimms in different slots.

Occasionally one of the motherboards does not beep but does not display anything on the screen, so I tried putting a gfx card in, still no difference, neither the gfx card or integrated would display anything. I am nearly at the end of my tether, about to throw it all out!

Everything has been second hand, but have been reassured over and over that the stuff was working when it was shipped.

The only problem I can forsee is that I am using ddr400 dimms on old socket478 motherboards which supports 266, but I have never had the problem before in other instances, the ddr400 dimms have just underclocked themselves.

If as you say you tried different processor/ram on board and still no go, so you tried new board with processor/ram, and still same error code..then I would be looking at power supply or possible earth fault....have you checked that your board is not earthing on the case somewhere?

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 04:46 PM
The two motherboards I have tried have been a gigabyte Ga-8GE-667 and an intel D845GBV

I just tried couple of things again, the gigabyte motherboard beeps with any ram in it, the intel beeps with one certain dimm in it, but does not with others, though it still does not display anything on the screen.

I have tested both motherboards sitting on antistatic bags on my desk, and have already checked the grounding possiblities. Also have tried 2 different power supplies

godfather
13-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I have tested both motherboards sitting on antistatic bags on my desk, and have already checked the grounding possiblities. Also have tried 2 different power supplies

Living dangerously here?

Antistatic bags are "antistatic" because they conduct electricity, they are not a perfect insulator.

I would never use them to sit a livened motherboard on. Though thats unlikely to be the problem you have, you need to understand their properties.

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 05:09 PM
crap, done it a million times never had a problem :\
Also had all the same problems inside a case though

gibler
13-06-2006, 05:47 PM
maybe your cpu is dead (or bent pins on it)...

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Thats what I thought, but now having tested two different cpus I doubt that, still its on the cards.

SolMiester
13-06-2006, 05:59 PM
U purchased the cpu/mobo together?, seller said worky ya?. BIOS beeping with RAM warnings?. I would try the correct speed dimm to rule that out!

Dont think its PSU as you are only powering the board, cpu and ram.

Sometimes, all fault diagnostics require spare parts...LOL

I would be trying to id the bios beeps to see exact message

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 06:07 PM
No, cpu and mobo were seperate, and I have no way to get hold of correct speed dimm, dont want to buy a stick just to test it, dont know any shops that would allow me to give it back after that etc.
The bios beeps are continous beeping, and I am pretty sure it has an award bios, so that makes a memory error. But having tried 3 different dimms Im still stumped
got my beep info from this page:
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203

pctek
13-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Continous beeps = RAM or graphics card memory.

This is a working graphics card you tried? Try it on the other MB and make sure you disable the integrated first thing in the BIOS.

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, working graphics card in both motherboards, also tried integrated on both motherboards.
And the computer does not even get past the POST, so it does not get to BIOS to be able to change anything, nothing is displayed on the screen at all

godfather
13-06-2006, 07:14 PM
crap, done it a million times never had a problem :\

Well, if you have really assembled a million PC's, not many here will be able to help, we totally lack that type of volume experience. Good luck?

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 07:17 PM
ever heard of sarcasm/exageration?
Whilst I have built many pcs/done many repairs to them, sometimes when something you have never before seen comes up, other people have more experience, and thus it is a good idea to ask them, regardless of experience

pctek
13-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok. Both MBs are rubbish. Throw them out.

dirtbag
13-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Fair enough

Now offta try get some refunds!