PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Knoppix Question:

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 03:36 PM
When I boot into Knoppix on another puter (I've decided to not use this one as it's my baby), will I need to change any of the drivers for my NIC and printers and scanners and my anti-stuff?

What's NOT gonna work right...or should I try something like Safe Mode, if Knoppix has a Safe Mode?

Right now I have three puters all on the same DSL via a router with CAT5e from each..will any of that need to be changed? I'd hate to lose connectivity or parity with the others.

(OK...so it wasn't just question #2...let me call it questions #2, inclusive.)

Jen
11-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Are you just using the LiveCD or have you installed it? If your network uses DHCP it should just work. If you use static IPs, then you will need to enter in your settings via the Network config which should be available in the KMenu.

Your other question depend upon if you have it installed. It will not eat your other computers on the network. ;)

Graham L
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Forget about Windows drivers ... you boot Knoppix from cold. None of the drivers you have grown to love in Windows are going to be used.

Repeat after me: LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS

Remember that. :cool:

Knoppix will identify the hardware as it starts up, and load its own driver modules. If you've got any hardware it doesn't know about, it might complain about that. But it won't use Windows drivers. It's an OS. It has its own.

On the network, leave it as it is. You might have to tell Knoppix a suitable IP address, or if you are running DHCP, it can use that. Linux is good at networking. The Ethernet protocols were invented on Unix machines.

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 03:50 PM
OK...we got a full moon tonight...and that might help....

Youse guys..er..guy and gal are kewl to jump back with those answers so quickily..........

If I do hit a device that won't register with Knoppix, can I just skip that particular installation like (ewww!) Windows allows? ..and are there installation wizards? (I like installation wizards...they seem to know everything!) ;)

BTW, I am running Knoppix from a disc...not disk..it's on a cd-rom.

And...can I now say I have a Linux distro? :confused:

Graham L
11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
If it doesn't know a device, it will just carry on, as long as it can run without it. You won't know, unless you are watching the detailed log as it boots, until yoiu try to use the device. ;)

Hhel
11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Surfer Joe,
If you make sure that your printer is connected and turned on at boot up, most Linux versions will find the printer automatically. The other day, I had taken the printer out while tidying the study. When I reconnected, my Linux couldn't see the printer. So, I powered off, connected the printer and turned it on, restarted the computer and there was the printer ready to go with its necessary drivers ( I use an HP 840C which was detected as a USB printer and the OS suggested CUPS - which I think stands for Common Unix Printing System - but that might be wrong)

Jim