PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Burners. What ?

beetle
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok taking bull by horns here. :illogical

How does one choose a suitable dvd burner to suit their machine?
Ive lost the remember part of what was suggested i get....and am in new territory. im not into picking parts for my comp cos i admit i no nothing, even with 4 yrs on this forum i still no next to nothing about comps..... :stare:

I know nothing about, size, speed or whatever the specs say, that i should be reading up about, I just no i want a black cased one, and that its easy to install and easy to use. Not over the top, but not something id have to replace real fast.
What price range should i be looking at?

I want one, i want it soon and would like suggestions of what brand to look at, and who is likely to have them in stock. ive never bought anything online, so that limits me............ and we dont have any great comp shops here .... :illogical

help wanted please.....

Dont mean to step on toes.............. but the patience has gone.

Life is too short to be wasting waiting for things.....that just may not happen.

beetle :D

Metla
11-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hiya Beet, did the one I recomended in my last email not suit ya?

Jen
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
There has been a few threads on what DVD writers are considered better. Have a search to give you some ideas (just look at the recent threads though as technology changes so fast ...).

Bascially, you want a brand that supports a wide variety of media (DVD-R, DVD+R etc), comes with nice burning software and does dual-layer (which most new ones probably do now). Sorry, can't recommend any one burner off the top of my head as I haven't had to investigate DVD burners lately. :)

Buying online is easy if you stick to well known and respected sellers.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, personally, I would get an ASUS burner. Theyre just as reliable as the mobos. Never had a prob with them.

I suppose it depends on the speed / the CPU thats on the system as well.

A DVD burner is installed the same way as a CD burner. Take out the old one.

Unplug it / pull the power. Connect the new. Plug in power, and IDE cable.

Set it to Master or Slave, configure it in BIOS as Master or Slave. Reboot. Thats it. I've never brought anything online either. Since I dont use credit cards :D

If you have a cd writer already, you could either jumper the DVD burner as Master and cd burner as slave. Or pull the cd burner out altogether, since the DVD burner will do cd's and DVD's.

Most DVD burners are 16x, and dual layer.. Only thing is the DL blanks depending on where u get them from, maybe a tad expensive.

Thats if u want to use DL DVD's.

And quite a few dual layer DVD burners are pretty cheap these days (depending on brand). I would say theyre around 75-90 bucks.

chiefnz
11-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi beetle,

You will want to get a dual layer dual format DVD Burner. Basically that means you will be able to get 8GB+ onto a double sided disc and you will be able to write/read both -R, +R and RW DVD discs, along with all the other types of CD-R discs you get out there.

good brands suggested are (and this is open to debate of course)...

1) LiteOn
2) Sony
3) Pioneer
4) Samsung (I've installed heaps of these and they are pretty good, I haven't had a single return yet)

Hope that helps

Cheers

chiefnz

dolby digital
11-06-2006, 01:16 PM
and we dont have any great comp shops here .... :illogical

Maybe Mets could open one :dogeye:

I usually go for the local computer mags including PC World for comparisons. I have a Samsung TU552 which is a good budget one. No problems so far.

beetle
11-06-2006, 01:25 PM
:waughh:

I dont know.............what email???????????? when Mets?

ive lost it...if ya sent me one............................going to have coffee.........
Not in the best state to answer, thats why i asked....

:(

Thanxs Jen, speedy, cheif, and DD....... and mets..... :illogical

didnt have a clue, and you bought out a lot of info i didnt even consider..

should i buy off the net or go to somewhere local? i dont have a credit card so does that limit the options?

beetle

Myth
11-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I would recommend Liteon
Around $100 (maybe cheaper depending on supplier)

They have a new model with Lightscribe (allows you to label the CD/DVD that you are burning to in the same operation), not sure how good this is

beetle
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Tazz? What do you mean label them at same time?

And Jen...searching as recent as last 6 months? cos any thing less seems to only bring up mine?
sigh...........

what does dual layer mean?

and so its almost beetle safe to install ya reckon? :waughh: lol i dont even know how to get the cd drive out let alone place something else in it..... and theres spose to be no left overs right? :p

beetle

Myth
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM

And Jen...searching as recent as last 6 months? cos any thing less seems to only bring up mine?
sigh...........

what does dual layer mean?

and so its almost beetle safe to install ya reckon? :waughh: lol i dont even know how to get the cd drive out let alone place something else in it..... and theres spose to be no left overs right? :p

beetleYes, once you have finished burnig data onto the CD/DVD you just flip the disc over and the laser will burn a picture/label of your choice onto the disc.
This is a newish technology but I personally haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone else here will know of its pros/cons in practical use.
Theoretically it sounds quite good.

Dual layer means that certain discs allow you to write onto 2 layers within the disc, thus allowing 2x as much data to be stored on one disc (DVD).

chiefnz
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM

Lightscribe burners are able to burn the disc label onto the CD/DVD for you. Basically, once you've written your disc you flip it over and the drive will burn a disc label on the other side.

Hope that clears it up.

PS: be warned you can only use lightscribe discs for the lightscribe function... not all discs are designed for lightscribe technology.

cheers

chiefnz

beetle
11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
So its like an optional extra?
Does it label as a word or a picture? something pre - defined ? like colours or black?

it would have to be something you could use or not use wouldnt it? like tick yes if you want to label ? cos you may not want to label everything would you?

having all the bells and whistles doesnt worry me, but i would like to be able to put my daughters dancing on to dvd, that i video'd off my Fujifinepix..... updated my XD card and i can get half an hour of video on it now...:D

and to save my 8 thousand photos to...:D

beetle

Metla
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
lightscribe.

http://www.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/15192.jpg

anyhow, I'll fire off another email, check your inbox later tonight.

Greven
11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
most online retailers let you pay by direct credit. I usually buy from Ascent, but if Metla still has an account with the wholesalers, he will probably be able to get you something cheaper than Ascent can offer.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Lightscribe is only B&W well used to be. Might have changed by now.

Battleneter
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
DON'T buy BTC or Cyberdrive which are widely seen as the junk brands in the industry. Apart from that most other 16X brands I have sold/used seem fine, my pick is LG as they just don't come back.

Shortcircuit
11-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd go with a Liteon one as well (well I did), cheap enough and just go.... which is a bonus beetle.

Suggest if you get one get Metla or someone to put it in... not really too hard, but you have to follow the instructions re master/slave jumpers and whatnot (yes, I know you read instruction manuals unlike some men!)

Also some dvd burners come with extra software... the Liteon one I got came with Nero (burning and back-up prog) which is very handy, also comes with black and white face plates, so you can match whatever colour Peach or Lemon is today :p

beetle
11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Ok so its not something to reccommend for a beetle to do then..............

ya can see why i came here dont you? no idea, what i need or what to do.

I like the idea of the pics on the dvd tops tho.

Shortcircuit
11-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I like the idea of the pics on the dvd tops tho.

Just think of it like wing mirrors on the car.... look pretty, but do you REALLY need them?

Installing the DVD 'should' be easy, I made the mistake of wanting the old CD and the new DVD which didn't play together nicely. I'm sure you can do it if you've got a screwdriver :thumbs:

KiwiMR2
12-06-2006, 08:05 AM
my pick is LG as they just don't come back.

My choice as well......never had problems with mine & we see very few back for repair/replacement at work :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2