View Full Version : Second hand software

11-06-2006, 11:43 AM
A few years ago I bought an academic copy of Photoshop Elements (new, from a retailer) and I am about to upgrade to Photoshop CS2. I'd like to sell my copy of Elements (whether or not anyone will be interested in buying it is another matter!) and wonder what are the legalities involved.

When I get Photoshop I will uninstall Elements as I will no longer need it. Can I legally sell my copy of Elements and what happens when the purchaser installs it on their machine? As I registered the copy when I bought it, will it allow them to register it or not? Do they have to register it or can they just use it without that step?

I've never bought or sold second-hand software, I've only ever had it come with a computer or bought it new so I have no idea where I stand. I know it won't be worth much even if I do sell it (and if anyone has any idea of what it could be worth, I'd like to know) and I may end up giving it away to a friend, but I'd like to know to put my mind at ease!

11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
If you're buying an Upgrade version of CS2 then you will have to keep Elements. If you are buying a full-version copy of CS2, then you might be able to sell it - depending on what the licence agreement says.

11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I've never had any versions of Photoshop itself before, only Photoshop Elements, so I would imagine I would need to uninstall Elements to install Photoshop CS2 - it's not an upgrade but a whole new item of software.

11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
url (http://www.adobe.com/support/service/licensing.html) for some light reading.

It seems to say you can't transfer academic copies...

With Adobe products I've used, you don't need to register. I'm pretty sure they only expect the original owner to register.

11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that, I think it may be safer for me to just give it to my friend's son as he's keen on photography and as a student it's not like I am passing it on to someone who is using it for commercial purposes!

I think I'll stick to selling things that don't create any potential legal problems!