PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Question

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I am right this very minute downloading Knoppix as a .iso file to the area where I save my FireFox downloads (a folder on a 40 gig).

Do I then extract the .iso file and save that on the cd-rom or just put the .iso on the cd-rom?

I want to boot off the cd-rom when done.

sam m
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Using Nero I simply select recorder | Burn image point to .iso and then burn

Jen
11-06-2006, 10:16 AM
You need to burn the ISO file as an image. You will need to select this option with your CD burning software program. If burnt correctly, when you view the burnt CD you will see various folders and files. If burnt incorrectly, you will just see the single ISO file.

dolby digital
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Yes, I learned early on that if you copy the ISO file to a cd, it doesn't work :waughh:

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow! I got it burned and it runs!

Now to change my bios and give it a further try..

Thanks for the help...but I will be back to ask a lot more questions......you have been warned!

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Whomever (a mod) moved this, thanks..but I really thought it was kinda off the main board as it was so small a problem, and Knoppix gets beat to death on the PressF1 area...thanks again...I MAY get converted if I don't get too nasty of a problem with it.

Can I work with it in Forth69? :lol:

Graham L
11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Forth? Why not, if you like that sort of thing. "forth linux" will find you the free native-code compilers for Linux (or even for Windows).

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Forth? Why not, if you like that sort of thing. "forth linux" will find you the free native-code compilers for Linux (or even for Windows).

Well; I usta program in FORTH so I MIGHT want to give it a try later...but I need to get really wet feet in (is it Linux or Knoppix? I am confused)...can I say LINUX?

Is Linux = Knoppix or the other way around? :dogeye:

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
BULLETIN...

Here's a screen shot of what it turned in to: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/knoppix01.jpg
and another shot: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/knoppix03.jpg

I think something's wrong with my screen resolution...it looks like I have a wrong setting somewhere.

The scan it performed was really pretty with all the neat colors and the little penguin jumping around...it did say something really fast that I could not read that it could not install down at the bottom of the list but it happened too fast to read. Is there any way to hole a key to stop it from progressing to the nest screen? :confused:

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
It took me three boots, but I think it said that it could not load the AGP Modules, whatever they are, but I suspect it's my vid drivers..right?

Any idea how to fix this?

Jen
11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Hmm .. you might want to keep all your Knoppix questions in the one thread, rather than across two.

Yes, your screen does look butt ugly. I've never seen one look that bad before. Not sure how well you can see stuff on it, but have a look under the KMenu (click on the K on the taskbar) and look under Control Panel/Center > Peripherals > Display. See if you can set the correct resolution and refresh rate.

Did you do a hard drive installation of Knoppix or are you just using the LiveCD. The other option is that Knoppix allows you to boot the LiveCD using different video settings (cheat codes).

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
It's a live cd, and here's what the error message was..but it was hard to read on the boot/splash page:

It took me three boots, but I think it said that it could not load the AGP Modules, whatever they are, but I suspect it's my vid drivers..right?

Any idea how to fix this?

Jen
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
OK, from your last post it looks like it is your video causing the problems. Knoppix has some cheat codes you can use to resolve hardware issues like this. You can find them here (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes).

When you first boot up the CD, you will see a boot prompt and you can just push enter to continue or hit one of the mentioned function keys to get more options. At this boot prompt you would enter in the cheat code. Which one, I am not sure. Graham might be able to point you to the best one to try. :)

Edit: try this one at the boot:
knoppix noagp

How old is this computer and what sort of video capabilities does it have?

Hhel
11-06-2006, 05:56 PM
As Jen said, you can set the resolution at boot up. Instead of just pressing enter, I found it useful to set the resolution to 1024X768 (from memory, it was using F3) and then, after using Knoppix, save the desktop. It is a while since I used Knoppix and then only when I couldn't access the Xandros forums using Xandros.

Another trick that I found out for myself if using kppp for dialup, is to reduce the postitialisation delay in the dialler from its default 50 to about 7. Otherwise, the modem took too long to start dialling. This trick works for Simply Mepis too. (The dialer in Xandros is different so the problem does not arise there.

Greetings to all

Jim

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Let's see..it's a Dell Beige tower with 512RAM,
P III, 650mhz,
1-40g hdd Master
1-80g hdd Slave,
ATI 3D RagePro AGP 2X,
Creative SB Live! Gameport,
3COM EtherLink 10/100 PCI.

Resolution is already at 1024 x 768 right now...

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Jen: would you like to kill that other Knoppix post area for me?

I'll stick with here for a while tonight..OK?

SurferJoe46
11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I went here on a site search when I asked a question about Linux distros at that time: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=63363&highlight=Knoppix , and James said he had trouble with Knoppix and his vid card..the same type I have.

So, is it Gentoo now I should try?

Jen
11-06-2006, 08:31 PM
So, is it Gentoo now I should try?Absolutely not :eek: . Gentoo is not suitable for someone who has never used Linux before. If you wish to try a different distro, then I would suggest Mepis or Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) - both are LiveCDs that can be installed later if you wish.

Did you try booting Knoppix with that cheatcode I suggested earlier? What happened with that setting?

Myth
11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Uhh maybe when you have a few months of linux under your belt, then try Gentoo.

I would recommend SimplyMepis. Although I don't really like Ubuntu, it is also well liked by new to Linux users and could well be worth it

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 03:19 AM
OK, I pulled Knoppix out and got a live cd of Simply Mepis, which would (so far) only work in the older version. It gave me choices on what version to boot and trying the first one, it just sat there and tried to find the cd-drive for 30 minutes. After I came back from breakfast, it still hadn't found it so I rebooted and now am trying the older version Simply Mepis 3.4-3 (2.6.15-1-586tsc) on the setup page.

I get the blue screen with the sign-in area, no penguins this time, asking me for my username and password, and not having ever used it before I am wondering where it ever got a password to ask for?

I tried to enter nothing in the password (ala-XP), and it keeps on telling me the password is incorrect.

Even tried the XP password and wildcards and I am still locked out. It won't pass this screen....although this time I can actually see things so the vid card must be happy with this opsys now.

Now what?

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Now trying VESA version...VESA gives me a good screen..but.......

VESA still wants a password and user..gonna Google for an answer....it's not fair to wake youse guys up as you're all still asleep in Upsidedownland or Othersideoftheworldland.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 03:50 AM
HELP! | MEPIS came up with this:

1. boot your system with the Live CD, use the root account to log in.
2. mount your "/" partition from the harddisk
3. open konsole and type "chroot /mnt/partitionname /bin/bash" where, of course, the partition name is the "/" partition name (e.g. chroot /mnt/hda2 /bin/bash)
4. type "passwd" and input a new password

Is this some sort of test? If this was written in Swazi, I could understand it about the same.

I didn't know I had a root account..and if I do, where is it? I am assuming it is refereing to the cd-rom, as there's nothing I've installed in the hdd yet..or not?

It says to log in with that...and this is where the problem is. If I can't log in, then how am I going to access anything like opening the hdd to peek around for that "/" partition?

I will stumble around in this for a while yet and see what I can muck up. The syntax is pretty foreign, but if I read it enough times, it might make sense.......or not.

Rob99
12-06-2006, 04:07 AM
From memory when you bootup Mepis you can click on either user or root, I think the passwords are user and root.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 04:44 AM
From memory when you bootup Mepis you can click on either user or root, I think the passwords are user and root.

I accidently got into the demo area, and am trying it out.

First impression: very slow...a lot slower than XP..but let me try it for a while.

Will any installs and settings be saved while I am in demo? If I decide to install this distro (there! I speak LINUX already!), will they still be there?

Building Firefox browser with the Google homepage was interesting..but I did it.

That pendulum in screensavers is so neat...I stared at it for a full 15 minutes.

Would like to think that all the fun I'm having setting this up in the demo area won't be lost.

Having a little trouble getting sound to come out as the vol is very low...I think I did it right by dnlddng WMP10 first and then the RPM addon thing...at least it looks like the right direction to go.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Well....forget WMP! I found on another Linux site that there's no such thing as a way to run WMP with Linux..rats! Even the RPM addon is useless.

I would like to go back and reboot and use the "USER" area, but I still wonder if I will lose all my settings and downloads if I do. It was fun to do it...ONCE!

Hopefully there's some files being written to the HDD to save my prefs. I notice that many things are crippled in DEMO mode and that I cannot for instance change the weather reporting site to one that is more local to me. Memphis, Tennessee is not close enough.

Speed is still a big issue, and hopefully that will clear up if I decide to actually install the system. So far I like it. If I can get this to run, there may be real hope for people out there who ....er... are younger.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 06:19 AM

Here goes...gonna try USER...wish me well.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 07:07 AM
If I say I am going to try Ubuntu now.....that means that I am a little hesitant to install Xandros at the minute...still LINUX shopping!

Jen
12-06-2006, 07:12 AM
The password for the Demo account (which is what you should be using) is demo. The password for the root account is root. These are default passwords for the LiveCD. If you install Mepis, you will be asked to set up a proper account. While using Mepis as a LiveCD, it will lose any settings you change once you reboot. There is a way to keep your settings I think by saving them to a USB flash drive, but I've never tried this so you will have to look up how yourself.

Well....forget WMP! I found on another Linux site that there's no such thing as a way to run WMP with Linux..rats! Even the RPM addon is useless.Hmm .. now what does your signature say again? :p

Jen
12-06-2006, 07:13 AM
If I say I am going to try Ubuntu now.....that means that I am a little hesitant to install Xandros at the minute...still LINUX shopping!Xandros isn't a live CD, it only comes in a version that requires installation to a hard drive.

Jen
12-06-2006, 07:18 AM
OK, I pulled Knoppix out and got a live cd of Simply Mepis, which would (so far) only work in the older version. It gave me choices on what version to boot and trying the first one, it just sat there and tried to find the cd-drive for 30 minutes. After I came back from breakfast, it still hadn't found it so I rebooted and now am trying the older version Simply Mepis 3.4-3 (2.6.15-1-586tsc) on the setup page. If your hardware is a little old, then using these options will allow the LiveCD to run. You may find other LiveCDs will not give you this option and will have problems like Knoppix did. Did you ever try the Knoppix cheat code I suggested and got it to boot?

Many of the LiveCDs are designed for more modern computers. Doing a hard drive installation will allow you more flexibility, but it may indicate you may need to do a bit of tweaking to get your video to play nicely. :)

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Xandros isn't a live CD, it only comes in a version that requires installation to a hard drive.

I just grabbbed the distro as I was shopping..for future use...maybe.

Does everyone go thru this shopping?

One big problem I seem to have is that this puter is Athlon, and the one I am running the demos on is P III. I see that there are differing version for those systems. But I am going to concentrate on the P III types for now and just use this ENERMAX Athlon for downloading the .iso's.

So far, I have about 4 distros on cd-rom, and still trying them out.

I really like the look (as far as I could see it anyway!) of Knoppix, but alas, it won't run on that P III with the graphics card it has. I kinda liked the penguin.

I was wondering if Lindows is just transmorphed into a different distro? I know most real L users scoff at it, but I think I read that it now has a new name and look.

Saw RedHat and a few others that look interesting, but the warning about having very good L abilities scares me off.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
If your hardware is a little old, then using these options will allow the LiveCD to run. You may find other LiveCDs will not give you this option and will have problems like Knoppix did. Did you ever try the Knoppix cheat code I suggested and got it to boot?

Many of the LiveCDs are designed for more modern computers. Doing a hard drive installation will allow you more flexibility, but it may indicate you may need to do a bit of tweaking to get your video to play nicely. :)

Yes, I tried the cheat code but it was negative.....that's interesting that one can make changes to the program at boot....very interesting.

Like I said in the last post (our posts/counterposts are crossing in the ether), I will keep all the ones I get and try them on both these units. Right now, I am trying the demos via live-cd's on the P III.

I really appreciate your attention to my trials and tribulations today, last night and any I can get in the future.

Hhel
12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Surfer Joe
You seem keen to learn to use Linux. I am sure that you must be younger than I am and I managed to make the change. I have progressed to the point where I don't use windoze at all and haven't missed it. If you're used to XP, you might find Xandros easiest to understand with its file presentation and handling. I have used Mandriva, Knoppix, Simply Mepis and still find that I prefer Xandros. Dual booting with XP or whatever is not a problem. There is plenty of advice on the Xandros forums and they are a real helpful bunch there (many of them are US or Canadian).

Xandros is due for a new release any day now (Xandros 4.0). The current version is not as up to date as some but IMHO it is very stable. It has been out since late 2004 with a SP release sometime in 2005. It just does what I want it to do.

Be prepared though, the learning curve is quite time consuming. After a few months, I now feel confident to be able to deal with most changes that I need like upgrading Firefox and Thunderbird to their latest versions. I also run a Linux version of Mailwasher (registration copied over from the Windoze version), and AVG for Linux Workstation.

The important thing is to have fun

Jim :)

worl
12-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Surfer

I have a 466mhz and a 733mhz machine and have found that Ubuntu runs slow on them. I have found Puppy live cd good (faster) and only 60mb to download. I suspect that all of the larger (I mean more than 60mb download) would be slow on these older machines.

Myth
12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
You will probably find that many KDE based distros (Kubuntu (NOT Ubuntu), Knoppix, Mepis) may run slower than Gnome based distros (Ubuntu, Fedora etc) on slower hardware. Primarily because KDE has a lot more configurations/effects visually.

As for Linux distro shopping...
currently I have FC3,4,5 Suse 10, SimplyMepis, Arch, Gentoo, FreeBSD, Ubuntu (2 releases), Xandros and Knoppix (2 releases). I also sold my version of Mandriva (I had bought it from DSE and the guy was happy to pay for it). I have been using Linux for approx a year now, Gentoo for 9 months. Until a couple of weeks ago I had dual boot abilities with XP but didn't boot to XP so deleted the partition and set it up for linux storage.
I will be keeping an eye out for the next release of Xandros, as I am looking for a distro that will run on slower hardware (for my partner), and am watching this thread to see how you get on.

personthingy
12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
........ as I am looking for a distro that will run on slower hardware (for my partner), and am watching this thread to see how you get on.One word: puppy

Two comments:
1. Its brilliant and runs on the smell of a oily CPU

2. My son Ziggy, who is allergic to reading more than 2 sentences of instructions found it easy to install on several of our machines saved from dumpsters.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Surfer Joe
You seem keen to learn to use Linux. I am sure that you must be younger than I am and I managed to make the change. I have progressed to the point where I don't use windoze at all and haven't missed it. If you're used to XP, you might find Xandros easiest to understand with its file presentation and handling. I have used Mandriva, Knoppix, Simply Mepis and still find that I prefer Xandros. Dual booting with XP or whatever is not a problem. There is plenty of advice on the Xandros forums and they are a real helpful bunch there (many of them are US or Canadian).

Xandros is due for a new release any day now (Xandros 4.0). The current version is not as up to date as some but IMHO it is very stable. It has been out since late 2004 with a SP release sometime in 2005. It just does what I want it to do.

Be prepared though, the learning curve is quite time consuming. After a few months, I now feel confident to be able to deal with most changes that I need like upgrading Firefox and Thunderbird to their latest versions. I also run a Linux version of Mailwasher (registration copied over from the Windoze version), and AVG for Linux Workstation.

The important thing is to have fun

The tip off is the last numbers in my screenname..the 46 is short for 1946...my y/o/b.

So, I am not much younger that yourself.

I am still trying out a few distros and need to keep the confusion to a minimum...as they are all pretty neat and have their own values.

Not being committed yet...as everyone says I should be, I am still taking the Columbus route and searching for the one that suits me best. In the next week or so I should have a decision.

I keep on hearing that I don't need antispyware and antivirus stuff...I wonder if the ones I have are useless now (on the Linux side, anyway) and should not be carried over.

Just for kicks and giggles, I threw caution to the wind and tried to install from the desktop icon "Install Me Now" in Mepis, but it asked for a "/" partition and yet would not alow me to enter one or even when I clicked on the down arrow in that window, there was no other choice. I got denied.

Do I have to partition a new area for the install? It said it could do a custom install with freespace in the unused areas in the hdb anyway. That is what I would like...to leave the partitions alone that exist now and just let Mepis have it's way with the hdb, not the hda. As it is hdb has almost nothing in it at this time anyway. I loaded the security things there and (we are talking about the DELL here - P III/650, not the Enermax Athlon XP/2.3), I COULD remove them or send them to the hda.

It sure feels strange mixing the hda/hdb stuff with Mstr0/Mstr1 when I am talking in Windows and Linux at the same time.

Do Canadians speak English?

personthingy
12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
About WMP
Linux has its own media players, so you wont need to run WMP

Mepis, which is what i use has it all preinstalled.

SurferJoe46
12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
About WMP
Linux has its own media players, so you wont need to run WMP

Mepis, which is what i use has it all preinstalled.

Since I know you are much more informed about things that go "L", could you try a url to see if you can force feed it to your distro and see if you can get it to run?

Here's the url: http://a814.l1977144512.c19771.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/814/19771/v0001/reflector:44512

It is my favorite am radio station (KFI 640, Los Angeles) and I will sorely miss it if I cannot get it into the distro I choose. I got it to play without the player they wanted me to use...after a while of deep searching, and I can play it in WMP10 very easily. It is not listenable in my area over the airwaves because of the ELF antennas the US Navy has underground here.

personthingy
12-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I keep on hearing that I don't need antispyware and antivirus stuff...I wonder if the ones I have are useless now (on the Linux side, anyway) and should not be carried over.Antivirus for linux is more about intercepting viri so that they don't infect other machines. You don't need it to protect your own machine.

Also, try to remember, most programs wont run on both systems, consider them to be different species, or better still, consider one to be a carbon based life form, and the other to be something yet undiscovered that would send current thinking about what constitutes lifeforms into a spin

Just for kicks and giggles, I threw caution to the wind and tried to install from the desktop icon "Install Me Now" in Mepis, but it asked for a "/" partition and yet would not alow me to enter one or even when I clicked on the down arrow in that window, there was no other choice. I got denied.

Do I have to partition a new area for the install? It said it could do a custom install with freespace in the unused areas in the hdb anyway. If you have unused partitions, you can use them, but easier ( i think) is to use Qparted to make a partition or 3 or after your windows partition.. I'm assuming you are setting up a dual boot here. Mepis, and most distros like one partition for "/" (the system and stuff) "/swap" (the swap file) and "/home" which is where you keep your preferences and other user specific data.

Be very careful not to formatt you windows partition.. read what warnings come up, and there will be warnings if data is in the partitions you are about to use

personthingy
12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Since I know you are much more informed about things that go "L", could you try a url to see if you can force feed it to your distro and see if you can get it to run?

Here's the url: http://a814.l1977144512.c19771.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/814/19771/v0001/reflector:44512
I clicked the link, it opened directly in Konqueror (web browser), i pushed the play button, went into the lounge, turned the amplifiers on, and there was your favourate radio staion coming out my speakers.

Hhel
12-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Surfer
OK on the clue to your age. I was 6 when you faced the planet.

I have just been having a look for the Mepis Installation Guides. They are the best that I have seen and are prepared by a guy called "saist". Firstly, I saved them as an html and then I copied them to a CD and fired up another computer with the installation guide running and had it alongside mine when going through the installation process. I am talking about the stage after you have tried the live CD and wish to take the next step and install. Perhaps if you googled on Saist, you might find them.

The two guides that I found most helpful are:
Mepis Installation Guide
and Mepis Dual booting guide

There is another on the installation of Thunderbird.

Another place to have a look is the current set of blogs by Geoff Palmer on Press F1. Coincidentally, he is taking people through the installation of Mepis 3.4.3 (I think). There is a later version but the specs of 3.4.3 look impressive.

Happy hunting.

SurferJoe46
13-06-2006, 04:56 AM
I clicked the link, it opened directly in Konqueror (web browser), i pushed the play button, went into the lounge, turned the amplifiers on, and there was your favourate radio staion coming out my speakers.

Thanks a lot!

Now I am going to go at this install full-bore...if I can figger out the partitioning thing, anyway!

Right now it looks like Mepis.

Going to Google those installation guides too......! THX Hhel

SurferJoe46
13-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I am installing Mepis as a dual-boot, and I get into the root/root area ok with the dark red desktop ok.

Drilling down using this puter as a reference library (http://www.mepisguides.com/install/install-dual-drives/Install-with-dual-boot-and-clear.html), and installing on the DELL to my left I get to the qtparted, and then it seems to run normally.

Then when I inquire by clicking on hdb in the results, where I want to put Mepis, the next card pops up blank, another comes up blank and then I get an error message that I have to go back to instruction #1. Around and around I go...about 10 times so far and still I cannot install.

I know that Windows is installed on hda, and it sees that drive ok, just when I click on hdb all hell breaks loose.

HELP! :badpc:

Jen
13-06-2006, 07:33 AM
How are your hard drives and CD drive placed on the IDE connection (eg Primary master, secondary slave)? Are you sure you are selecting your slave drive and not the CD device? The slave drive works OK otherwise? What is the error message you see?

SurferJoe46
13-06-2006, 09:46 AM
How are your hard drives and CD drive placed on the IDE connection (eg Primary master, secondary slave)? Are you sure you are selecting your slave drive and not the CD device? The slave drive works OK otherwise? What is the error message you see?

qtparted sees all the drives, /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdd, but cannot seem to see the partitions on /dev/hdb when I click on hda, it sees:

01 /dev/hda-1 ntfs active

and the

02 /dev/hda-1 free Hidden
and if I click on hdb, it gets the info card to jump up, but it is blank and then I get sent to part #1 again and again.

Is the problem perhaps that there's something "hidden" on hdb? I notice that hda has a description as "active", and the sample site with the instructions shows "Hidden" on the hdb, so I imagine it's ok to see that sort of results.

Confused to say the least..... :confused:

I DID notice that I had to run the Mepis live disc from my d drive/cd-rom, but it won't run on the other e drive/cd-rw. Just some further dumb info maybe.

SurferJoe46
13-06-2006, 01:12 PM
HEY EVERYBODY!!! I AM A LINUX USER..sort of ..................

I am running mepis right now on this puter! :D

I said to hell with it and moved everything I needed for XP off the 40gig and formatted it via Mepis, and did the whole install here. :D

It works...let me see if I like it a lot or not. :xmouth:

I have a lot of utilities to add here and I gotta get busy.

Jen
13-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Well done Joe :)

Don't forget to download the user guide (http://www.mepis.org/node/6679) if you haven't already. :)

SurferJoe46
14-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Well done Joe :)

Don't forget to download the user guide (http://www.mepis.org/node/6679) if you haven't already. :)

Jen:

If I DO get a virus that does not affect Mepis, but has the potential of damaging XP, can it get over to the other side of the puter and harm my dual-booted XP version?

So far, all is well except for my favorite radio station. I cannot see how to enter the url to make it run. Strange areas and icons are confusing yet. Do I just click on Kaffein (sp?) and let it try to find it, or add the url or load up the web page and then try to use it's player.

I tried the url technique...not working for me...but it might just be me again.

personthingy
14-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Jen:

If I DO get a virus that does not affect Mepis, but has the potential of damaging XP, can it get over to the other side of the puter and harm my dual-booted XP version?

So far, all is well except for my favorite radio station. I cannot see how to enter the url to make it run. Strange areas and icons are confusing yet. Do I just click on Kaffein (sp?) and let it try to find it, or add the url or load up the web page and then try to use it's player.

I tried the url technique...not working for me...but it might just be me again.About the dual boot virus question...
The only way you could transfer a virus, is to say downloadload something, store it, and then open it up using XP, although XPs own virus scanner *should* pick it up when you boot up in XP. If you have no shared areas, then you will be fine.

Hmmmmmmm.... OK... The internet radio thing.......It works for me, i'm running Mepis 3.3-4, and i put the URL you specified directly into konquerors location bar.
Just this time i simply clicked on it, and it opened in a new tab (i think new window is the default option, but i prefer tabs) Using firefox works just as well, except there are no pretty visualizations. I'm just wondering, do you have any sound at all? Sometimes sound is installed with a very clever "muted by default" setting..... :(

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Hmmmmmmm.... OK... The internet radio thing.......It works for me, i'm running Mepis 3.3-4, and i put the URL you specified directly into konquerors location bar.
Just this time i simply clicked on it, and it opened in a new tab (i think new window is the default option, but i prefer tabs) Using firefox works just as well, except there are no pretty visualizations. I'm just wondering, do you have any sound at all? Sometimes sound is installed with a very clever "muted by default" setting..... :(

I will give that a try...but I don't mind if I don't see the pretty pixs. I think they are just going to slow down the presentation anyway.

I did get Kulak's Woodshed (http://www.kulakswoodshed.com/) to play with video too. I had to play with the settings in the mixer to make it work right, so the mute is not a problem, I think!

I am very glad that changes and settings happen dynamically, and one does not have to close the mixer to get to hear any changes you make.

I have two open questions to anyone who has an answer about Mepis, or even Linux in general:

1) Am I actually running a "Linux emulator" while I have this dual boot setup going? I notice that my parser is a lot less responsive to commands ......and the mouse click has to be very deliberate and held for a little while longer.

I noticed many years ago when I ran "Big Blue Emulator" on my C>64, it slowed it down to a snail's pace. Even though the C>64 had a 133mhz processor, it had to line-by-line transmorph the emulation and it got unreasonably slow. I notice some slow-down on the dual boot (Mepis/XP) and was just wondering.

2) Is there any way I can create a folder in Mepis and send it to Windows? Windows no longer see the hdb and I think that's ok and all, but I would like to send files back and forth if that's possible. Kinda like the movie "Frequency"?

Later on today I am undertaking a complete burn-down of the puter with Mepis/XP dual boot; changing the drives around and re-installing everything again. I will have more questions! :groan:

Jen
15-06-2006, 07:35 AM
1) Am I actually running a "Linux emulator" while I have this dual boot setup going? I notice that my parser is a lot less responsive to commands ......and the mouse click has to be very deliberate and held for a little while longer.You are running a full operating system. There is no emulator involved. I am not sure what you mean by "parser". This the keyboard?

Wkipedia definition: Parser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parser):
In computer science, parsing is the process of analyzing an input sequence (read from a file or a keyboard, for example) in order to determine its grammatical structure with respect to a given formal grammar. It is formally named syntax analysis. A parser is a computer program that carries out this task. The name is analogous with the usage in grammar and linguistics. The term parseable is generally applied to text or data which can be parsed.

What sort of mouse do you have? Do you have to do the "deliberate" click on webpages too, or just the desktop and menus?

2) Is there any way I can create a folder in Mepis and send it to Windows? Windows no longer see the hdb and I think that's ok and all, but I would like to send files back and forth if that's possible. Kinda like the movie "Frequency"? If you wish to share data between both OSs, then use a FAT32 partition. Both OSs can see and read/write to that. Linux can read NTFS perfectly fine, but writing to a NTFS partition is a bit more risky. Once you have a shared FAT32 partition, then it just a matter to pointing it out to Mepis (so to speak) and setting it up that it gets mounted automatically.

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Bumpity bump!

personthingy
15-06-2006, 11:15 AM
The "deliberate click" thing.....
I've notice that default settings in Mepis are that a passing accidental click seems to do nothing, one must actually have stopped, and then click. Now that i'm used to this i like it, and i'm not sure if its the same with all KDE/Linux distros.

File sharing between windows and Linux
As for the sharing stuff between windows and Linux, yes, as Jen says, it can be done, but beware of this:

Because linux doesn't give a flying perverbial about viri, Mepis won't have removed any parts of any files that may be viri, so anything you download using linux should be scanned before use in windows.

You will also find that some charactors in file names don't like fat32, or Vfat as Qtparted will call it. This is a minor bug, but i'm sure you can work around it as we all do.

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 12:01 PM
OK..this post is on the new install of Mepis on the Dell...and it runs a lot better having GRUB on the hda and Mepis root on hdb.

Got most of what I want here already...Firefox and so on...

1) can I change that silly hand of a pointer for an arrow? I don't like that hand, and besides the finger oints the wrong way.

2) it seems that the screen is a lot cluttered when I have a browser open. Is there any way to "hide" the taskbar ala XP?

3) the color rendering is intense! I had to tone it 'way down to make it softer.

4) still trying to figger out the player..but that will come in time and I will be smarter then than I am now when I do get it working.

personthingy
15-06-2006, 12:38 PM
OK..this post is on the new install of Mepis on the Dell...and it runs a lot better having GRUB on the hda and Mepis root on hdb.

Got most of what I want here already...Firefox and so on...
[QUOTE=SurferJoe46]
1) can I change that silly hand of a pointer for an arrow? I don't like that hand, and besides the finger oints the wrong way..

easy: go to the KDE cog, control center,
when that opens: peripherals, mouse, curser theme.

2) it seems that the screen is a lot cluttered when I have a browser open. Is there any way to "hide" the taskbar ala XP?.

Right click on the task bar
select "cofigure panel"
select the "hiding" tab

3) the color rendering is intense! I had to tone it 'way down to make it softer..

Asuming you are using nvidia graphics,
cogthing in tray
system
settings
nvidia settings

4) still trying to figger out the player..but that will come in time and I will be smarter then than I am now when I do get it working.So do you not have sound, or is it still the radio station issue, and just that?

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I finally got KPlayer to accept reflector:44512 and it's playing right now...how do I save it to the desktop to click it later? :confused:

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=SurferJoe46]
So do you not have sound, or is it still the radio station issue, and just that?

No...I have sound ok...and I got KFI640.com to play in KPlayer allright, just want to save the player with that default as a desktop icon somehow.

And that taskbar hiding is great! You can even set the delay for it to happen! Wow!

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Well...this is getting easier and easier all the time. I have been cruising the desktop and found all sorts of things!

Got that "add icon" thing straight now too.

personthingy
15-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I finally got KPlayer to accept reflector:44512 and it's playing right now...how do I save it to the desktop to click it later? :confused:There probably is a way, but personally i would just open it in a browser, and bookmark it.....

You may as well do exactly what you want first time, so that may mean creating a shortcut, and editing the properties.

Anyone cleverer than me want to answer this one?

personthingy
15-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Well...this is getting easier and easier all the time. I have been cruising the desktop and found all sorts of things!

Got that "add icon" thing straight now too.Good, you can tell me how you did it, that way i'll know too :p

SurferJoe46
15-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Good, you can tell me how you did it, that way i'll know too :p

Actually, it's just like doing it in XP or Windows too!

Right click on the desktop, and generate a new icon there...it's easy.

If you want more specific details, I will help..but I am having a lot of fun with this system so far.

Right now I am very pleased with the install...it's a "distro" or distribution of a Linux-based (actually UNIX) opsys and it looks so much like M$ it's kinda scarey!

One can even make it start a "Richmond" start-up screen to make you feel homesick or relieved if you will. I am the latter so far.

Jen
15-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Right now I am very pleased with the install...it's a "distro" or distribution of a Linux-based (actually UNIX) opsys and it looks so much like M$ it's kinda scarey!Glad you are having fun exploring Mepis. You can have a great play around with themes, window styles, colour, icons etc and get it looking just how you want to. :)

But I have to correct you here, Mepis is not a "Linux-based (actually UNIX) opsys". Mepis is a Linux operating system (or to be technically correct, a GNU/Linux OS) and isn't considered Unix. GNU/Linux is sometimes called the cheap cousin of Unix and they do have a lot in common.

SurferJoe46
16-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Glad you are having fun exploring Mepis. You can have a great play around with themes, window styles, colour, icons etc and get it looking just how you want to. :)

But I have to correct you here, Mepis is not a "Linux-based (actually UNIX) opsys". Mepis is a Linux operating system (or to be technically correct, a GNU/Linux OS) and isn't considered Unix. GNU/Linux is sometimes called the cheap cousin of Unix and they do have a lot in common.

Yeah..you're right! I got this info from the official site:

Linux was invented by Linus Torvalds.

Linux software packages are developed and combined to work together by teams of open software programmers worldwide.

Like several other flavors of Linux, the MEPIS core is built on the excellent work of the Debian team.

The GUI desktop is developed by the KDE team using the tools and foundation classes provided by Trolltech.

The unique components in MEPIS Linux were developed by Warren Woodford and tested by Team MEPIS.

Opinion-wise, I think this is serious contention for XPs place for an OPSYS by even the newest noob.

The ease with which it installs (there are some new words and phrases to learn!), makes it a serious thought as to why anyone would even use XP except for gamers who need the NT base.

If there was ever something I SHOULDDA TRIED a lot sooner, then this is it.

With the latest security flaws and inherent design weaknesses in NT-based systems, I find it amazing that there aren't a lot more people moving away from Mr. Bill to things like Mepis.

I got the Mepis 3.4-3 version and it is a pretty clean install. The sound mixer is not very intuitive and requires a little tweaking to get it right, but it works very well after that. Graphics are exceptional and anything you are used to in XP can probably be done almost the same way in Mepis.

The only hang-up I have is the new syntax I have to recognize. After years of Windows-talk, this is pushing my old brain a little to learn the new verbage.
For instance, I just learned that the letter "K" which preceedes most of the applications, like "KPlayer" and "KWrite" are just there probably to stop name/patent infringements. Ignoring the "K" makes it easier to understand.

Some of the names make no sense to me at all...but I will learn them.

Names like:

The GIMP (wasn't that Dustin Hoffman in "Midnight Cowboy"?)
Kooka (dropping the "K" here makes NO sense!) :groan:
Kino ( " )
SAMBA (this is obviously a childrens' character from a book)
Xbiff (this is the sound Batman makes when he hits a bad-guy)

See? That stuff could be NZ-speak for all I know.

Jen
16-06-2006, 07:38 AM
For instance, I just learned that the letter "K" which preceedes most of the applications, like "KPlayer" and "KWrite" are just there probably to stop name/patent infringements. Ignoring the "K" makes it easier to understand.

Some of the names make no sense to me at all...but I will learn them.

Names like:

The GIMP (wasn't that Dustin Hoffman in "Midnight Cowboy"?)
Kooka (dropping the "K" here makes NO sense!) :groan:
Kino ( " )
SAMBA (this is obviously a childrens' character from a book)
Xbiff (this is the sound Batman makes when he hits a bad-guy)

See? That stuff could be NZ-speak for all I know.Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed when I used Linux - what was it with all those applications starting with K? It has historical reasons why they started doing that, and it seems to just continued. K = KDE - Wikipedia entry on KDE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE)

I can tell you GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. Not sure if Samba is an acroynm, Kooka, hmm think they were getting desperate for semi-sensible words starting with K, and kino I suspect the same reason. But xbiff is derived its name from this: qoute The strangely named xbiff client notifies you when new mail arrives. It produces a picture of an American-style mailbox, and whenever new mail arrives, the flag on the side of the box will be raised. A useless piece of trivia: xbiff is so called because the original Unix utility to notify the user of new mail was called biff. Biff was a dog, owned by a student at University of California, Berkeley in the days when BSD Unix was being developed. Biff had a habit of barking when the postman came. - there you have it. :p