PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive can play movies, but not read files

the_bogan
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I bought a new PC a few months ago (don't laugh too hard, it's an Acer from DSE).

I've been quite happily watching DVD movies since then using PowerDVD, but today I tried to load the DVD from PC World. No Joy.

I tried a blank DVD, but Windows couldn't read a DVD in the drive when trying to copy to it.

Other than knowing that my DVD drive is called HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B in the Device Manager, and Windows cannot find any updates for it, I have no idea what to do.

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
XP doesnt burn to DVD by default. How exactly were u copying to the DVD?

If it wasnt with XP??

Windows wont update firmware, if this is what youre after, you have to go to the manufacturer's site and download it then install it.

the_bogan
10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the response.

In my case, the drive info just says the manufacturer is (standard CD-Rom drives).

Where should I go from here to get the needed drivers?

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Delete the entry for the dvd rom in device manager. And reboot.

XP does this sometimes. It can get rather annoying.

What programs are installed, for burning to the DVD burner?

the_bogan
10-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I didn't have any software for burning to DVD drives. That was just a trial effort to see if the drive could register a blank DVD in there.

I tried the deletion and reboot, but still no joy.

The wierd thing though? I can view the DEC/JAN dvd of PC World, but not Feb or June..... :mad:

gibler
10-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Look for firmware upgrades like a recent dell one (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R123561&SystemID=XPS_PNT_P4_DXG&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10373&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&libid=32&fileid=164264)

Have a look on Acer's website first..

I've seen at least two Acers with DVD writers that mysteriously couldn't do stuff like read CD-Rs but others from the same shipment were fine.

Ideally try the drive in another PC (and then with any firmware updates), otherwise I'd invoke the warranty..

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 02:21 PM
XP wont burn to DVD only CD.

You need something like a Ulead program, Nerovision, or something like CDburnerXP SE, which is free.

Graham L
10-06-2006, 02:23 PM
And try that particular PC Magazine DVD in another computer, too. ;)