PDA

View Full Version : XP Home & Win2k Mapped drives do not reconnect

The Dancer
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi there

I have an issue where I am sharing a printer off my Win 2k PC with an XP Home PC in a peer to peer network via a Zyxel ADSL Router. Win 2k PC has AVG 7.1 with Firewall, and XP Home PC has Kerio Firewall. The printer drops off when I reboot XP PC and I have to reconnect to the Win 2k PC to get access.

Is there a way to have this happen automatically and perhaps confirm the reconnection at startup?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Did you enter the ip addresses in manually on both??

If theyre both on obtain an ip automatically, everytime u reboot, they'll change.

And will drop from the network.

Right mouse on the XP LAN connection /TCP/IP, change it to use the following ip and put in an ip address.

Do the same for the 2k LAN.

The Dancer
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks Speedy

I should have said I have configured manual IP addresses and have switched both firewalls off to attempt to see what is wrong. Nothing makes an difference. Everytime I reboot I need to logon again to the mapped drive..

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Umm it maybe the router or either firewall.

You could try another firewall on both which is pretty good and free.

Comodo Personal Firewall (http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/) This is if both PC's have 2K / XP or higher on them.

See if its easier for both. You do have to supply a name / email to download it. And they'll send you an activation code to activate it.

Once this is done, updates etc are free for life.

If you do decide to dl it, once its installed, click on its icon in the taskbar / Personal Firewall / open. Then tasks / add a trusted zone...

Select the network entry and it'll add whatever in the trusted zone.. On both.

Then see if the printer / both PC's stay put.

Dont forget to uninstall the firewalls u have now,if you decide to install this.

CYaBro
10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I think the problem is that the XP Home machine doesn't remember the username & password that you use to connect to the w2k machine.
What you need to do is setup a user on the w2k machine that is the same as the user you use on the XP machine. You shouldn't need a password as this requirement is only part of XP Pro I think.

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 01:46 PM
XP shouldnt need a username or password, if simple file sharing is ticked.

Altho I dont think Home has this? Only Pro? I maybe wrong.

I've networked previously with XP Home/Pro/2k, and its fine. No username or password needed.