PDA

View Full Version : Entering CMOS Setup

B.M.
10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I've got a IBM NetVista machine here that I can't access the cmos setup on.

I've tried F1 F2 F10 & DEL but no luck.

Any suggestions? :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Could be F11, F12, Ctrl F2.

It should say what key/s to press on the post screen.

While its booting press the pause key. So, it doesnt load too fast.

B.M.
10-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Noooooooop, those didn't work either and can't pause.

Just a glimpse of an IBM splash screen and away it goes??????? :help:

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Did you hold down the keys u mentioned?? As soon as u rebooted?

Not just press the key/s, and take your finger off it?

somebody
10-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Another one to try is Esc.

The IBM website seems to say that F1 is the key to use.

B.M.
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Righty Ho, Tried every function key holding down and tapping.

Tried Esc & Del & Ctrl+F2

No Joy!

All I want to do is turn off the "Modem Wake on Ring"

There must be a way to access the Cmos setup but how?????

Myth
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Some things to try:

Enter IBM BIOS setup (http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11196-0.html?forumID=53&threadID=155399)

Terry Porritt
10-06-2006, 01:46 PM
It is F1 to get into a NetVista, and cunningly designed to be difficult.

When the IBM logo flashes up, quickly hit the F1 key multiple times, then sit back and wait. If you dont get in quickly, the machine will continue to boot normally, if you only hit the key once it will also continue to boot normally.

B.M.
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Sorry guys, but I've tried all of the above and still can't get in.

Must be a major???????????

Terry Porritt
10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Following Speedy's suggestion, I've just found out on my old Netvista that holding F1 key down after switching on, and keeping it held down until the setup screen appears, also works. Presumably that's the same as multiple hits.

If that doesn't work, try a new keyboard just in case F1 key is not working properly

B.M.
10-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your efforts guys. :thumbs:

In the end I got it. Only 11 hours of struggle! :groan:

So here’s the go.

F1 is the key.

But no way could I get in by holding, tapping, or appending with shift, ctrl, or Alt.

In desperation I ripped the cover off and removed the CMOS battery, did the usual associated jumper swap, (capacitor discharge) and fired it up again.

Then, and only then, would F1 access the bios. Whilst there I turned off the IBM splash screen, turned off the wake on ring and everything is sweet again.

Just what the devil had got into it I haven’t a clue, but be warned, if you have one of these beasts they have made even simple things difficult.

Thanks again guys, and if I never see another on of these computers It’ll be too soon! :D

Terry Porritt
11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Phew, that was an odd one !

Another thing to watch out for with PIII Desktop Netvistas is that huge numbers have been "offloaded" during the last year or so via Turners etc, and many, many batches of these suffer from the "bulging capacitor" syndrome.

It would be very much buyer beware if anyone is buying unseen from TradeMe or the like. At the very least ask the seller to say if there is sign of leaking/bulging capacitors.

B.M.
11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Ahhhhhh, Ohhhhhh, I wonder.

This sod was a “Company Upgrade” and was sold to a mate as a P4, but I never checked to see if it was actually a P4, nor did I check the capacitors. I was that frustrated at it taking so long to just turn off the “wake on ring” all I wanted was rid of the sod. It’s now back in Hamilton but if I get any further calls I shall be mindful of what you say Terry.

Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated. :thumbs: