PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection.

jazz_99
09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I've just purchased a DLink DSL-G604T wireless modem/router/switch as well as the DLink DWL-G510 PCI wireless card, it was easy enough to set up and get connected but now the card is constantly dropping the connection and when it is connected the signal is very low. The router is about 10 meters away if that (a ceiling) and I have no cordless phone can someone, anyone pllleeeasssee help me.

Myth
09-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Any major obstructions, motors such as a fridge motor or likewise nearby causing interference?

Hitech
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Have you made sure that your router is in clear line of sight of walls and cabinets, are your walls concrete, try putting the router if you can in the attic if you have a power socket up their and you should get clear even coverage through the house as the signal will be sent down into your house instead of up giving you better coverage, i know of people that have done this with great success.

jazz_99
10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
The router is about 5 meters away from another computer, and a wired phone. The walls are wood and not too thick so the signal shouldn't be getting any interference but I'm not sure. I have swapped the PCI card with a new one in case that was the problem but it hasn't helped. There is a bedside radio about 6 meters away, could that be causing some interferece?

Graham L
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM
5 or 10 metres should give a very good signal.

Try using the "Site Scan" of the PCI card WiFi card's monitor programme (leave the router turned off) to find any other wireless networks which might be using the same channel. If there is one, change the channel you use.

jazz_99
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I have tried that, and it's the only wireless network around. I downloaded NetStumbler and used that to scan for any other networks and there weren't any. The only other thing I can think of is it might be a weak signal from the router so I'm gonna try and get a replacement. Apart from that I have no idea.

Graham L
10-06-2006, 04:15 PM
You could try using another channel anyway. It's worth a try.

jazz_99
10-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I have changed channels from 6 to 12 and it's either on low connectivity or is dropping out which is the same as before.

jazz_99
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Well I finally got it sorted and the signal strength is now Very Good, I took your advice Hitech and placed the router in the attic or as close as I could and its sweet. It must've been some interference from something, what it was though is anyone's guess, thanks everyone for your help much appreciated :)

peace out
:thumbs: