PDA

View Full Version : Word password

mel j h
09-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi. I've been sent a Word 2003 document that I can't access because it's password blocked. My friend who sent it to me can't remember setting a password for it and can't help.

It's a really important essay which I originally sent her to edit for me, now that she's done with it she somehow locked it!! Can anyone tell me if there's a way I can disable the password? I've looked on the web to get help but all I see is programs that people want to charge me for. If I can't it's gonna mean mega hours re-doing the edits :(

Thank you!

pctek
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Microsoft Word Password Recovery

It is possible simply to edit the Password to modify with a hex editor. It is also possible to edit the hash of the Protect document password.

The Password to open can be attacked with a dictionary attack or a brute force attack.

Several programs, with widely varying capabilities, are available to help you recover a lost Microsoft Word password:

* Elcomsoft Advanced Office XP Password Recovery
* AccessData Password Recovery Toolkit
* AccentSoft Word Password Recovery

Or, have you tried opening it with another program? Like WordPad or OpenOffice?

Renmoo
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Not sure if the following method works, but it might be worth giving a try:

Right-click the locked Word file and point to "Open with...". Next, select Notepad or Wordpad from the available program list and try opening - as I said, I have never tried that out before; it could well be that the file is encrypted and therefore not as easily opened via other applications. You may be able to retrieve some of your data from Notepad or Wordpad - again, this is something I am not too sure.

Otherwise, e-mail the word document to some crackers out there and ask them nicely to help you to de-lock the file. This should be your last resort if you still can't open the file.

Cheers :)

Graham L
09-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Can your friend still open the file in Word on her computer? How did she send it to you? If it's on a CD or other removable medium, written from the Administrator/Owner account, might it be a Windows security thing, rather than a Word thing?

Sweep
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
You sent your friend the word doc via email I guess and she was able to open and edit the document. Have you or she got the original?

Hopefully she will still have the original you sent and/or you will have the original. She may also have the partially edited doc on her computer without password lock.