PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection speed

bk T
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Just check that my Wireless Internet connection speed is only about half of the wired Internet. I'm using a Linksys BEFW11S4 Broadband Router and have just upgraded the Firmware. It is only 2 meters away from my laptop computer (has a built-in wireless) and the signal strength is 'excellent'. Another laptop using a PCMCIA wireless card achieves slower speed, is also only about 3 meters away from the Linksys Router.

When I connect the Laptops using a cable, the speed boosts to more than double.

Is there anything I can do to increase the wireless connection speed?

Cheers

maccrazy
09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I presume when you say they are a few meters apart, there isn't a wall between them? It seems strange that the network's speed is slow enough to slow down your internet connection. I've had a 802.11b and 802.11g network in my house and even at the very outside of the coverage area (I would say 20m or more with a few walls), internet speed has always been fine (and it should be considering how slow internet connections are by comparison). Maybe one of the devices is faulty?

heni72847
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM
where are you reading the speed from?
a speedtest site or from windows showing you connection speed?

from window's connection speed..
for wired you might have 100mbps so do you see that?
and for wireless you might have 802.11g so that would be like 54mbps
or if you hav 802.11b you prob see 11mbps

those are your local network speed and shouldn't affect your internet
because..um..our internet is too slow to be affected
the speed difference would only be felt when you copy files across your local network

bk T
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
where are you reading the speed from?
a speedtest site or from windows showing you connection speed?

from window's connection speed..
for wired you might have 100mbps so do you see that?
and for wireless you might have 802.11g so that would be like 54mbps
or if you hav 802.11b you prob see 11mbps

those are your local network speed and shouldn't affect your internet
because..um..our internet is too slow to be affected
the speed difference would only be felt when you copy files across your local network

Tested from New Zealand Broadband Speed test site.

There's no wall between the laptop and the wireless router, just next to it.

Marmion
09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I get the same thing. I can be right next to the router, and my download speed varies between 30-40KBytes/sec downloading, yet sometimes I'll get 50-90KByets/sec, further away but hardly ever - and the wireless card on my laptop is always set to max performance and power use, and signal strength is Excellent and 54mbps.
On my downstairs computer desktop, also wirelessly connected, will do around 70-90KBytes/sec, and the signal strength is worse down there. Whats worse is that I'm supossed to get 2mbps which is what, 240KBytes/sec?
Wired up it goes full speed though (the laptop) :)

bk T
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I get the same thing. I can be right next to the router, and my download speed varies between 30-40KBytes/sec downloading, yet sometimes I'll get 50-90KByets/sec, further away but hardly ever - and the wireless card on my laptop is always set to max performance and power use, and signal strength is Excellent and 54mbps.
On my downstairs computer desktop, also wirelessly connected, will do around 70-90KBytes/sec, and the signal strength is worse down there. Whats worse is that I'm supossed to get 2mbps which is what, 240KBytes/sec?
Wired up it goes full speed though (the laptop) :)

That's exactly what I am experiencing. Fail to understand.

Any wise advice out there??

Hitech
09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I two have wireless laptop pc and router and i have rung xtra and ihug about this and they both tell me that you will not get 3.5mbps on a wireless connection because of signal interference from fm radio signals microwaves cordless phones cell phone towers etc the list goes on, the most speed i ever get on wireless is 1.5mbps which is still fairly quick.

native
09-06-2006, 10:52 PM
ok... lets make this sweet and simple.. u will not get the same speed or even close with a wireless as u would being wired.. wired is always faster. dosent matter how close u are to the router... u are missing the point a "router" is meant only for u to connect to the internet, and thats it.. the router does nothing more than that... :thumbs:

Rob99
09-06-2006, 11:41 PM
i have rung xtra and ihug about this and they both tell me that you will not get 3.5mbps on a wireless connection because of signal interference from fm radio signals microwaves cordless phones cell phone towers etc the list goes on, the most speed i ever get on wireless is 1.5mbps which is still fairly quick.Next time tell them if they dont know stop feeding me this bu115hit.

You should be able to get around 1/3 to 1/2 the rated speed.

You could try TCP Optimizer from speedguide.net