PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Beta 2 out

Hitech
08-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Just tried to download windows vista beta version and the microsoft site says can not download due to high demand try again later.Anybody got this version yet and what is it like.

snoopy
09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
3 - 4 Gb download would blow my monthly cap, already downloaded SUSE this month so it will have to wait till after the 25th, I see you can have a DVD sent to ya for $13.........

maccrazy
09-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I hope there aren't too many people in my area wanting to download it or I can see JetStream getting very slow over the weekend. :p

stu161204
09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I hope there aren't too many people in my area wanting to download it or I can see JetStream getting very slow over the weekend. :p

:D

heni72847
09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
i'm wondering if it's legal to get it from a torrent?
you can get email from ms and get the register code and stuff
but if their server is all full and slow
then would getting it from a torrent be illegal?
also if it's a public release..can it actually be illegal?

just a thought..big big image file kinda = find torrent for me..

Sweep
09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
3 - 4 Gb download would blow my monthly cap, already downloaded SUSE this month so it will have to wait till after the 25th, I see you can have a DVD sent to ya for $13.........

You could have a DVD sent but you need a credit card.
Unfortunately I don't have or want a credit card. I phoned Microsoft today and offered to send $13 via direct credit or even drive from where I am to Auckland and pay for a DVD.

Best advice I had was to download for free. "We can't sell you a DVD without a credit card."

Big John
09-06-2006, 06:46 PM
You need to get a product key and activate it as normal windows.

From NZ you get the message that all keys already given. However if you use a hotmail address in which you lie and say you are from the US you will get one.

Just installing it now on a free partition I have especially for such things.

technicianxp
09-06-2006, 07:30 PM
So what exactly are the system requirements for Vista Beta 2?

Big John
10-06-2006, 08:08 AM

Must be huge because I installed it on my 3.6Ghz P4 with 1MB DDR2 Ram in dual channel mode, NVidia 6800 graphics card with 512MB ram and it runs like a dog. Opening windows and doing stuff is painfull.
It did detect everything on the MB except the sound chip but did pick up the HD audio.

I may be a matter of tuning bt straight out of the install really puts me off.

pctek
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Must be huge because I installed it on my 3.6Ghz P4 with 1MB DDR2 Ram in dual channel mode, NVidia 6800 graphics card with 512MB ram and it runs like a dog. Opening windows and doing stuff is painfull.
It did detect everything on the MB except the sound chip but did pick up the HD audio.

According to their website it wants a lot less than what you have. But this is normal, the thing wanted 15Gb to install right? All that bloatware, DRM and seeing as XP spends a huge amount of time monitoring everything,trying to phone home, and making copies of everything you launch I bet Vista is far, far worse.
This is why I don't want anything to do with it until the likes of Black Viper are out.

jcr1
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
This is why I don't want anything to do with it until the likes of Black Viper are out.

What is Black Viper? I looked on Google and it looked like it could be some sort of a WinXP tweaking methodology.
If so, (just to change the subject slightly) is it good?

pctek
10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
heres part of a post from another forum thread on Vista:
"The glassy transparency of Aero is just a mess when you have multiple windows open. Apple abandoned transparency years ago, but even back then, they still did it better. They have also attempted (and failed) to do a slide out tab like on the Mac OS, but it looks like a hack-job. Background photos of exotic locations does not a beautiful OS make. :mad:

There has been lots of changes, but 'change for change sake' in many situations, its like they have taken a messy room and just moved the mess around a bit. The right click menu feels castrated for no good reason."
Seems a few people had hassles installing it too.

Black Viper is one of the "tweak/rip" XP sites. Its no longer there but there are plenty of mirrors. Basically How To Get Rid of the Rubbish and have a lean and clean XP.

FoxyMX
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
What is Black Viper? I looked on Google and it looked like it could be some sort of a WinXP tweaking methodology.
If so, (just to change the subject slightly) is it good?
Black Viper is good for tweaking XP's services. A good mirror is available here (http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12). Make sure you read the instructions first.

paulw
10-06-2006, 02:18 PM
There has been lots of changes, but 'change for change sake' in many situations, its like they have taken a messy room and just moved the mess around a bit. The right click menu feels castrated for no good reason."
Seems a few people had hassles installing it too.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Changes for changes sake so that M$ can extract more money from the gulliable..

dolby digital
10-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Well as I have upgraded my Jetstream plan, I thought I might download it but none of my machines have a GB of RAM. Maybe I should just stick to Linux downloads and application software downloads. :illogical

Big John
10-06-2006, 05:27 PM
According to their website it wants a lot less than what you have. But this is normal, the thing wanted 15Gb to install right? All that bloatware, DRM and seeing as XP spends a huge amount of time monitoring

Actually it did the complete install in 7GB. Windows XP is now continually phoning home as well with it new validation scheme. Check any firewall logs and you may see it do it. I have noticed it and blocked it. Don't want it using any of my bandwidth.

Actually just see on another site that MS have just admited that it's WGA phones home once per day. Story here http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Admits_WGA_Phones_Home/1149798507

pctek
10-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Well as I have upgraded my Jetstream plan, I thought I might download it
What? What a waste of bandwidth. Go and download something enjoyable instead. :D

bonkiebonks
10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I finished downloading it 2 days ago and it installed perfectly.

If you have a Product Key (which you can obtain from the website), I am willing to help burn you a copy to save you from downloading - provided you send me a blank DVD, and a self-addressed reply-paid envelope. I'm not charging, just thought I'd help.

Oh, by the way, I've only got the x86 (32-bit) English edition.

chiefnz
12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I have the DVD iso file downloaded, burnt it to DVD and tried to install it. In

NERO it said "the entered block size does not correspnd to the image length. the block size may be incorrect. Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem?"

I chose ignore and ran the install but after I enter the product key it says

"unable to access the Windows image file" The install hangs here and I have to restart.

What block size do I select?

Options are:

DATA MODE: 1, 2, Audio or HFS

BLOCK SIZE: 2352 or 2048

IMAGE HEADER SIZE: ???

IMAGE TRAILER SIZE: ???

Once I figure it out I'm happy to give any F1'ers a copy with the product key.

Cheers
chiefnz

zqwerty
13-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Useful links:

Windows Vista Torrent
http://www.vistatorrent.com/

Windows Vista Beta: How to dual-boot Windows XP and Windows Vista
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/top/windows-vista-beta-how-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php

zqwerty
13-06-2006, 12:39 AM
pctek talking about crap running in the background on XP reminded me of some very useful links I know of:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=480183

You don't have to do them all, work through them slowly, you will notice a big improvement in speed and also a more "solid feel" like Win2K has.

***There is also a utility from MS called "exctrlst", it allows you to turn off the performance counters running in XP pro, this particular change made a huge improvement on my system.

zqwerty
13-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Details on exctrlst here:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/48edd368-2bde-4647-9fea-1b5f28a23ca91033.mspx

nmercer
13-06-2006, 11:03 AM
You could have a DVD sent but you need a credit card.
Unfortunately I don't have or want a credit card. I phoned Microsoft today and offered to send $13 via direct credit or even drive from where I am to Auckland and pay for a DVD.

Best advice I had was to download for free. "We can't sell you a DVD without a credit card."

Sweep, send me an email or private message here

I'm with MSNZ and can help you getting the DVD of Windows Vista beta2

Cheers
Nathan

nmercer
13-06-2006, 11:08 AM
You need to get a product key and activate it as normal windows.

From NZ you get the message that all keys already given. However if you use a hotmail address in which you lie and say you are from the US you will get one.

Just installing it now on a free partition I have especially for such things.

If you go back to the site now http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx and try from NZ it will work - and issue you product keys

When you tried we hadn't quite launched the site in NZ, it was working by Thursday afternoon last week

Cheers
Nathan

nmercer
13-06-2006, 11:12 AM

System Requirements are at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

But recommend you run the Upgrade Advisor on your XP machine to see how it stacks up

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

nmercer
13-06-2006, 11:14 AM

I recommend you log a bug - the specs of this system, as you've described them should not be running Vista "like a dog"

Presumeably you downloadeded from the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program - you can log a bug at http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/vista

nmercer
13-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I have the DVD iso file downloaded, burnt it to DVD and tried to install it. In

NERO it said "the entered block size does not correspnd to the image length. the block size may be incorrect. Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem?"

I chose ignore and ran the install but after I enter the product key it says

"unable to access the Windows image file" The install hangs here and I have to restart.

What block size do I select?

Options are:

DATA MODE: 1, 2, Audio or HFS

BLOCK SIZE: 2352 or 2048

IMAGE HEADER SIZE: ???

IMAGE TRAILER SIZE: ???

Once I figure it out I'm happy to give any F1'ers a copy with the product key.

Cheers
chiefnz

Sounds like you may have a corrupted download of the ISO

Hitech
13-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Vista works fine its stable and its faster and it doesnt hog memory like some people say it does ive had no problems with it at all.

aidanmaz
13-06-2006, 12:29 PM
i got my dad to download it at his work jetstream
installed it and it works perfect not slow or sluggish

Hitech
13-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Have to say it has way better security than xp it even protects you while you try to find a anti virus program while youre unprotected, xp is **** compared to vista im sold no matter what anyone else says i'll be buying it when it comes out next year.

FoxyMX
13-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Have to say it has way better security than xp it even protects you while you try to find a anti virus program while youre unprotected, xp is **** compared to vista im sold no matter what anyone else says i'll be buying it when it comes out next year.
Do you work for Microsoft?

Hitech
13-06-2006, 02:11 PM
no

FoxyMX
13-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Are you sure?? :p

Hitech
13-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Im 100% sure im at home so i hardly say i work for microsoft if i did i wouldnt be sitting here doing nothing now would i. Just cause i say i like the new windows vista doesnt mean i work for them, have you got the beta version of windows vista yourself try it you might like it.

paulw
14-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Im 100% sure im at home so i hardly say i work for microsoft if i did i wouldnt be sitting here doing nothing now would i. Just cause i say i like the new windows vista doesnt mean i work for them, have you got the beta version of windows vista yourself try it you might like it.

I always thought that you worked fro Sky TV judging by the PR work you post on here supporting them..

Hitech
14-06-2006, 10:18 AM
:D :D :D And i thought you woked for press F1 since you alre always posting on here and supporting them