PDA

View Full Version : System won't start, at all.

nfoote
08-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok, first of all System Specs. P4 2.4 CPU on a P4S8X-X Mobo with 1Gig RAM (1x512, 2x256), 80Gig HDD, Geforce MX-440 Video Card, Pioneer DVD-RW and various other boring cards. Mobo using Award Medallion BIOS v6.0, System was running Windows XP Pro.

Now the problem. The other week I went to start my computer as per normal and for no apparent reason, it will not start. When I push the power button I can get one of several reactions...
1) System will power on but screen will not come out of stand by mode.
2) System will power on, screen comes out of standby mode but screen remains blank.
3) Same as 2) but a small white cursor blinks in the top cornor.
4) BIOS will appear telling me the system hung for improper CPU settings. Please check settings. Settings are ok.
5) Normal Mobo checking stuff (ram, hdds, all the white text stuff) runs fine, then blank screen.
6) Same as 5) except Windows will present start-up options (ie safe mode or normal or last know good settings).
6a) If I choose normal or last known good, system will reset.
6b) If I choose any safe mode options, various files will load and system will either restart or it will tell me config.sys is corrupt, then it restarts.
7) Once System and Windows started as normal but 3 seconds after I got the desktop, system restarted.

Now I took the HDD out of my machine and put it into another one. All of the above problems go away except for number 6. Infact 6a) gets a little better, Windows beings to start, briefly flashes a Blue Screen Of Death, then system restarts. This leads me to believe two things ...
1) My windows install in corrupt and I may have to reinstall or reformat, not pretty options.
2) There is some other problem with my machine, other than the HDD, because as I said, my machine 99% of the time, wont even try to start windows, while this other machine always got to at least the windows loading logo.

I could have re-installed windows as this time but I did not have to time and now that other machine in unavailable to me. So I'm stuck with mine.

More observations. Having realised I probably have to reinstall windows I managed to get lucky enough to have the BIOS settings appear when booting up one time. I changed the boot order to CD first and inserted my Windows XP Pro CD and Restarted. Everything went as expected until the Windows Setup beginning, the one after you press any key to boot from the CD and it comes up with a blue screen and various things load down the bottom. Here, (and I tried this several times) I continually got one of the following errors ...
1) vga.sys is corrupt
2) ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded, Error code 14
3) ohci1394.sys is corrupt
4) System hangs at loading Windows Executive.

So there, that is everything that I know. I suspect the motherboard. Someone at work it might just be the PSU dying and not suppling enough power to the components, particularly the Motherboard.

Any help at all would be helpful (duh). Please Please Please, I can't afford to buy a new comp just yet.

Thanks
Nick Foote

Myth
08-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Ok.. you seem to have a couple of problems

On the harddrive where your OS is the config.sys file error can be fixed
But first things first...
tried checking all connections?
tried swapping the psu with one known to work?
have you been playing round with the CPU/cooler lately?
Is the fan above the CPU running?

Are you using integrated graphics.. or a graphics card?
If using a graphics card, tried disconnecting it and using the onboard graphics?

pctek
08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
One thing, if you try and boot XP off a HDD from one PC on another different PC, its likely to blue screen even if the original install is fine. XP does not like suddenly finding foreign hardware. Like a completely different motherboard.

nfoote
08-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi guys, cheers for the replies.

Roger on the HDD in a new setup won't start anyways, makes sense.

Other questions ...
Have checked all connections etc, removed many and redone them.
Haven't touched CPU or CPU Fan in ages, Fan is still going, when I can get into BIOS it says she's running at a reasonable 40C. Infact all other fans still going too.

Haven't tried another PSU yet, it had occured to me, but it's a little hard to get hold of a free one. I know where two are though, can you just swap them over ok? ie any PSU goes with any Mobo? or Are they P4 v AMD specific?

Using a vid card, no onboard graphics so that not an option.

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I used to have the same mobo on the other PC.

I would replace the P4S8x-x. It's the worse, IMO, out of all the ASUS P4 mobos.

There's a few screwups with this mobo.

1. It's sis-based.

2. On the ASUS site, it says it supports booting from USB devices. It doesn't.

I tried the release BIOS, and the latest beta version of the BIOS. It didnt matter which one I flashed to. It didn't boot from my USB flash drive.

3. The other PC also used to have 1GB onboard (With the P4S8x-x). And because its a SIS-based mobo, it lagged, while booting, lagged while on the net, and lagged while opening programs. (It took like 10 -15 secs to do anything, once I clicked on a program, to run).

4. I also noticed sometimes, when I used to boot, it used to go into standby, while XP was loading. I could tell, coz the green LED on the front of the case, used to flash.

I had to keep pressing a key to get it to load XP. I think this was an option in the BIOS. That made it do this.

In the end, I replaced it with an Intel based mobo. Which made a lot of diff.

An ASUS P4P8x. A lot better, since its Intel based, and it also supports dual channel, whereas the P4S8x-x doesn't.

nfoote
08-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Lastest Error message, before it gets to even try to boot off the HDD or CD is "NTLDR is corrupt, system cannot boot".

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I would update the BIOS to 1004 if this isnt the revision of the BIOS on your system now.

I would reset the BIOS to its default settings, and reconfigure it.

I would check IDE / power cables, to see if theyre in properly.

If you were in Mt Eden, I could give u a loan of the P4S8x-x, I replaced.

To see if your hdd works on this mobo.

nfoote
08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi, cheers for the offer but I'm in Chch, all good ideas too, I'm only on revision 2 at the moment.

nfoote
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Bump, any more Ideas?

Any answer on the PSU able to be used on any MOBO question?