PDA

View Full Version : Using a laptop's IR as a remote

iansmcdonald
08-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Is there any software that enables an IRDA (Infrared) port on a laptop to be used as say a TV or video remote? I've seen software that does this for PDAs, but not for PCs. Even googling finds nothing. Can anyone help?

Graham L
08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Look for IRDA. :D The link to the irda project on sourceforge will be a good start.

It's certainly possible ... the irda site will have the codes sent by many remote controls ... and it's reasonably easy to capture them and make your own files.

There are circuits for receivers and transmitters ... the tranceivers in some laptops (mine for one) aren't known to the IRDA people.

There are, of course, problems.

You might have found that the transmitters in PDAs aren't very powerful, and won't operate a set on the other side of a room. I have no reason to suppose that a laptop's one is any more powerful (for the same reason: power). A laptop is a bit more unwieldy to point at a TV set than a remote. Especially when its window is on the side. ;)

I've only looked at IRDA on Linux ... it's probably available for Windows, but I don't know.

You might have to do a bit of programming.