PDA

View Full Version : How set up a Com port from USB Adaptor?!

stuffed
08-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Am going through the anguish of setting up a new PC grrrrrr!!
Have an old Data Logger program that uses either Com 1,2,3 or 4.
The new PC only has USB ports so purchased a USB to Serial Adaptor.
How can I get the PC to find the data logger?
Many thanks

godfather
08-06-2006, 10:56 AM
My experience with USB to RS232 adapters has been mixed.

The "serial port" created by the adapter is a "software serial port", not a "hardware serial port".

Only if the drivers for the legacy data logger program can accommodate the virtual port will it work. Some do, some don't in my experience.

But the fact that the datlogger will accept ports 1-4 is encouraging, as ports 3 and 4 are usually software created by modems etc.

What port number does the adapter show as?

stuffed
08-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks had a feeling this was not going to be easy! In Device Manager there is a question mark beside the USB to Serial Cable. As said this data logger is old (about 10 years) but it has been working well on my current PC.
Will also require the Serial port for another application weather station.

paulw
08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I use USB to serial adaptors here at work. The only one I found that semed to work on 100% of our gear was a Bafo BF-810. The ones at DSE did not work on all products..

stuffed
08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Would you believe just kept on trying and it is working fine on all devises! That Data Logger must be 12-15 years old two floppies for the software.
Thanks for your help.

guptamanil
29-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi there,
i recently purchased BF 810 serial to usb converter for serial comm. wid my laptop.
as per the manual on their main site, i first installed the drivers (OS :WINXP) and then plugged in the converter, but it;s still not showing in either the ports section or under the USB section of my laptop's device manager :(

can anyone please help me wid this

beeswax34
29-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Please don't post your problem in very old posts and multiple times.