PDA

View Full Version : About these news ideas from the CC

jesse_jax
08-06-2006, 12:23 AM
well, they are saying ''FASTER INTERNET, FASTER INTERNET!!'' and thats great, although, i need more bandwidth, i go to at least 30gb each month...i still got a few weeks to go right now and im at 30gbs so yeah, im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet once its ''unbundled'' as this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx

stu161204
08-06-2006, 12:36 AM
I think you will find even ** when ** NZ unbundled There may be a time when ISP's offer unlimited downloads, but as we all know unlimited downloads don’t last for long, Take a look at orcon or slingshot & what happened with them,

so I think the same will happen after NZ unbundleds, but the ISPs will go back to caps, maybe bigger then what we have now i.e. 10 GB etc… but NZ will all ways have caps.

I have to ask how do you move 30 GB/month???!!

pctek
08-06-2006, 08:49 AM
, i go to at least 30gb each month...
im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx
You hog - stop pirating.

godfather
08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I am sure "unlimited" will be available, but you will have to pay for it.

As bandwidth in to the country is expensive, and faster connections will use more of it at peak times, I expect the cost of unlimited to be very high.

I get by easily on 1 - 1.5 GB per month of my 5 GB allowance, so it will not be an issue for me and many other similar people, but I would object if I had to subsidise the "bandwidth hogs", as would all the other moderate users.

maccrazy
08-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I get by easily on 1 - 1.5 GB per month of my 5 GB allowance, so it will not be an issue for me and many other similar people, but I would object if I had to subsidise the "bandwidth hogs", as would all the other moderate users.That's the exact reason why "unlimited" access isn't a good idea, though more reasonable data caps would be good provided the infrastructure can handle it (at this stage, I think any increase in datacaps would have a negative effect on speed based on most people's experience with JetStream over the last few months). :)

rogerp
08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
well, they are saying ''FASTER INTERNET, FASTER INTERNET!!'' and thats great, although, i need more bandwidth, i go to at least 30gb each month...i still got a few weeks to go right now and im at 30gbs so yeah, im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet once its ''unbundled'' as this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx

What the hell do you do to get through 30GB per month? I am quite a heavy user and only get through 8GB per month. That is viewing lots of streaming programs, downloading lots of trial software etc, video skype calls etc. I am just wondering why I should be expected to subsidise high bandwidth users such as yourself. If you use the data then you should be expected to pay for it. I am sick of these people who think they should be getting as much as they can eat for next to nothing. Bandwidth is expensive ands someone has to pay for it. User pays, and your average user probably uses less than 2GB per month.

mode3
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
This is what I was on before I came to new zealand,

http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=3246

And before any one goes on about sharing cables with everyone else and speed dips, yes we did but only telewest cables as they have there own network and all underground, and my connection was always full speed and that was in the heart of edinburgh.

Now I am on 2mb (when I'm lucky at 4am) and with a 10gb cap :(
I could cry sometimes........oh well.

Mode3

G-Boy
08-06-2006, 04:59 PM
. your average user probably uses less than 2GB per month.

I know lot of people are into online gaming, a few game demo downloads, and the bandwith needed for online play and two gig a month is nothing. :2cents:

KiwiTT_NZ
08-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I like caps and then slowdowns. But maybe graduated slowdowns.

up to 10%. No slowdown - Sorry I just needed that extra file. :D
10% over. 25% slowdown
25% over. 50% slowdown
50% over. 75% slowdown
100%+ over. dialup speed ... You data hog

Hitech
08-06-2006, 05:58 PM
How is it that telstraclear can have a 10mbps a second download and yet we are told by all media that their is no faster internet in the country as 3.5mbps is the fastest we are told. So how does telstraclear come up with a plan like this at this speed.

LightSpeed 40G
40G of monthly traffic
10 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream
Choose your ISP - paradise.net or clear.net
Free helpdesk support
2G additional usage packs charged at $2.95 per month per pack

SolMiester
08-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I know lot of people are into online gaming, a few game demo downloads, and the bandwith needed for online play and two gig a month is nothing. :2cents:

Online gaming uses squat relatively speaking.

Streaming and video downloading is what uses data caps.
30Gb a month is outrageous, get a life jesse jax. you must be downloading media 24/7, no wonder others get crap bandwidth.

YOU are the very reason why, we dont have uncapped services

jesse_jax
08-06-2006, 10:57 PM
ha! funny what the replys were.
trying to blame ME for your slow internet wont work, because ONE, i already GET slow internet, theres probably 10 more users around my house etc that download all the time, i only got 60kbps download speed..what i do with my internet is my business, wether its legal or not. telling me to not pirate is a very stupid statment, as 1: you dont know whether i do or not, and 2: im pretty sure 99% of people have at least SOMETHING pirated on there pc, whether it be a song or windows xp, i have the right to be able to use as much internet as i want, if i pay for it, but the rates at what telecom charge are ridiculous...if i wanted to create a file hosting site, imagine how many 10's of thousands of dollars id have to pay a week?...whether or not you agree, there should be unlimited, maybe at a cost, but there definitly should be.

godfather
09-06-2006, 01:15 AM
whether or not you agree, there should be unlimited, maybe at a cost, but there definitly should be.

Which is exactly what I said.

I am sure there will be, but you will have to pay for it, because the majority of users will not wish to subsidise it in any way.

Therefore it will be expensive.

mode3
09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Which is exactly what I said.

I am sure there will be, but you will have to pay for it, because the majority of users will not wish to subsidise it in any way.

Therefore it will be expensive.

It doesn't have to be expensive, its just that NZ telecon and the other isp's are all tight fisted w*ankers.

Simple really.

Mode3

sam m
09-06-2006, 12:43 PM
It doesn't have to be expensive, its just that NZ telecon and the other isp's are all tight fisted w*ankers.

Simple really.

Mode3
:groan: (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.php)

pctek
09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
How is it that telstraclear can have a 10mbps a second download and yet we are told by all media that their is no faster internet in the country as 3.5mbps is the fastest we are told. So how does telstraclear come up with a plan like this at this speed.

Its their cable plans not their normal ADSL (over the copper phone lines)./

Master_Frost
09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
What the hell do you do to get through 30GB per month? I am quite a heavy user and only get through 8GB per month. That is viewing lots of streaming programs, downloading lots of trial software etc, video skype calls etc. I am just wondering why I should be expected to subsidise high bandwidth users such as yourself. If you use the data then you should be expected to pay for it. I am sick of these people who think they should be getting as much as they can eat for next to nothing. Bandwidth is expensive ands someone has to pay for it. User pays, and your average user probably uses less than 2GB per month.

This attitude is old school Telecom talking. The fact is you have been getting ripped of and should be getting a larger data cap for what you pay for broadband in NZ. You are NOT subsidising anyone.

If you have a larger cap you DO NOT have to use it BUT at least you would have the option.

Get with the times the "10 gig is heaps" attitude is dieing fast, not even the NZ government are buying into this propaganda anymore, I am surprised that there are still ignorant people posting crap like this with all that has happened in the last few months.

You clearly have NO CLUE as to what the internet is going to be used for in the not so distant future.

rogerp
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
10GB is currently heaps, I mean what do you use all that data on (at least as a sngle internet user)? Sure it you were sharing the connection with your flatmates friends and neighbours with Wifi, you could easily get through 50GB, but I am sure that would be breaching the ISPs T&Cs anyway

I have a few questions:

Why isn't Telstras cable internet also being unbundled. It seems to be a superior system and can offer faster speeds now.

With WiMAX emerging and becoming more popular in europe, isn't unbundling just a waste of time and old technology, as by the time it comes in, won't it be overtaken by better wireless technology that will be faster than ADSL2+.

PS. poster above, you failed to mention what you would use all this data on now... not in the future...as noone can predict what is going to happen in the future...so that is irrelevant. Saying that 50GB isn't much data must be backed up with an example of, what it isn't enough for. I suppose it is only 10 DVDs, or 2 HDDVD worth of data.

mode3
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=rogerp]

PS. poster above, you failed to mention what you would use all this data on now... not in the future...QUOTE]

Ummmmmm, online gaming, using skype to make cheaper or free phone calls to the uk, , dowloading BOUGHT music from the internet etc etc to name but a few.

Hows that for now.

Mode3

rogerp
09-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Still you would have to do a lot of that to get through 10s of GBs of data. I do those things too, apart from online gaming. I suppose it comes down to reasonable usge, and user pays, eg. if you use it a lot then you expect to pay for the additional bandwidth.
What most people don't realise that in the UK according to BBCs Click, ISPs that state unlimited bandwidth, do actually have datacaps that they are starting to implement, and this is due to bittorrent using up heaps of bandwidth which is gettng very costly for ISPs.
I actually wouldn't have though ADSL in NZ would have been very good for online gaming due to the slow upload speeds.

maccrazy
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
10GB is currently heaps, I mean what do you use all that data on (at least as a sngle internet user)? Sure it you were sharing the connection with your flatmates friends and neighbours with Wifi, you could easily get through 50GB, but I am sure that would be breaching the ISPs T&Cs anywayA family with one heavy user, two moderate users and one very light user can easily get through 10GB of data (I'll add that I am talking about legal usage here, because I know someone will ultimately come to the uninformed conclusion that piracy is the only reason for high usage). What we use our connection for: General internet usage (web browsing, email etc), online radio (about 50 hours per month), movie trailers (about five per month, but HD files are pretty big), internet site backups (not a huge amount in comparison with other uses), the odd demo/trial download, monthly software updates, a very small amount of online gaming (probably only two hours per month). This usage basically amounts to just over 10GB on average per month, we are typically between 8.5GB and 12.5GB. :)

ISPs that state unlimited bandwidth, do actually have datacaps that they are starting to implement, and this is due to bittorrent using up heaps of bandwidth which is gettng very costly for ISPs. Datacaps are beneficial to 99% of users, otherwise they end up paying for the excessive usage of the minority. However, I believe it is around 100GB with most ISPs offering "unlimited" access in the UK and the US. Personally I don't know why ISPs tolerate illegal P2P usage on their networks anyway.

Graham L
09-06-2006, 05:14 PM
One day a clued up ISP will offer a plan for "reasonable" users, which doesn't make them subsidize the heavy/greedy users. They'd be able to calculate pretty exactly the bandwidth required with no "unlimited/capped" nonsense, so they could work on fine margins and still make it a very profitable thing.

rogerp
09-06-2006, 07:58 PM
ha! funny what the replys were.
trying to blame ME for your slow internet wont work, because ONE, i already GET slow internet, theres probably 10 more users around my house etc that download all the time, i only got 60kbps download speed..what i do with my internet is my business, wether its legal or not. telling me to not pirate is a very stupid statment, as 1: you dont know whether i do or not, and 2: im pretty sure 99% of people have at least SOMETHING pirated on there pc, whether it be a song or windows xp, i have the right to be able to use as much internet as i want, if i pay for it, but the rates at what telecom charge are ridiculous...if i wanted to create a file hosting site, imagine how many 10's of thousands of dollars id have to pay a week?...whether or not you agree, there should be unlimited, maybe at a cost, but there definitly should be.

Firstly there is no such thing as 'Unlimited', unbundling will definately not solve this, as there will always be an acceptable usage policy that will dictate usage rates. Your slower download speeds would also be due to traffic shaping, which ISPs all around the world do.

Hey maybe you should start an ISP when it gets unbundled, and offer unlimited traffic.