PDA

View Full Version : yet another BSOD

gum digger
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi
When iam shutting down/restarting there is a bsod all of sudden saying fltmgr.sys

any ideas?

SurferJoe46
06-06-2006, 02:12 AM
fltmgr.sys is a Windows core system file.

The file fltmgr.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers and is 124800 bytes in size and belongs to Microsoft Windows Operating System.

As a driver it can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs.

The program is not visible. The technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

Some malware camouflage themselves as fltmgr.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

Try a start up in safe mode, if you can get it to work, and report back.

gum digger
06-06-2006, 10:34 AM
fltmgr.sys is a Windows core system file.

The file fltmgr.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers and is 124800 bytes in size and belongs to Microsoft Windows Operating System.

As a driver it can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs.

The program is not visible. The technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

Some malware camouflage themselves as fltmgr.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

Try a start up in safe mode, if you can get it to work, and report back.

What do you want me to do once i get into safemode?. Altough i started in safe mode and then restarted it does not show me bsod then.

SurferJoe46
06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Well, if safe mode runs, then I'd be interest in seeing if there's a good copy of that file in the opsys...do a search for it with "hidden" files exposed.

Going out on a limb here, but I feel that you've got some malware running to cause the BSOD in standard boot-upmode that is now not running in Safe Mode....

Run your anti-stuff in Safe Mode to see what they produce that way. Then reboot in normal and see if the BSOD returns.

gum digger
06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
one thing i noticed. I only get bsod when my computer is on for a couple of hours. another thing is that its not just fltmgr.sys i also get irql_not_less_or_equal.
I did a memtest for 3-4 hours, didnt find any errors. I have a quality ram sticks just to avoid this (dual channel GIEL).

gum digger
10-06-2006, 10:50 AM
This is still happening. when i restart i either get irq_not_qual_or_less [0X0000000A]
or the fltmgr.sys.

How can i get rid of this?.
reinstall using my slipstreamed winxp+sp2

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Are you using some Nortons program/s??

Did it update before the system kept crashing?

Looks like Nortons can cause this file to crash.

gum digger
10-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeh my norton updates every night. but i dont know if norton is causing this.