PDA

View Full Version : warning, warning, warning

Thomas01
05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I have just been done over. Got off the internet (PCWorld) to have the following notice appear on my screen.

Your computer is infected
Windows has detected spyware infection!
It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss.
Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.
Click here to protect your computer from spyware!

I then found I had a program called Pest Trap running which found 88 faults.
A bit suspicious. Espcially when Pest Trap informed me that the free version only found faults and I would need to pay for the prof copy to remove the problem files.

The so called Windows warning kept on popping up every few minutes - strange as I had turned off my Windows warnings.
Obviously a virus claiming to be anti virus. I got rid of Pest Trap but the warnings continued until I replaced my AVG with the latest version.
You have been warned!!
Tom

zqwerty
05-06-2006, 03:25 PM
What browser were you using when this happened?

godfather
05-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Remove Pest Trap by following these directions:
http://www.spywareremove.com/removePestTrap.html

It's spyware, not a virus, so it's not necessarily targeted by AntiVirus software, there is a difference.

SurferJoe46
05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
SpyBot will protect you from all 4 versions of Pest Patrol...or kill them and remove them should you get them in by acts of dumbness.

(I gotta get paid for all this Spybot info I am passing out...Do you here me Mr. Kolla?) :blush:

Battleneter
05-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Yawn, I thought from the title it was something serious lol

Thomas01
05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
(1) I use Internet Explorer - (Slingshot)
(2) I have downloaded the software to remove PestTrap but haven't used it yet as I seem to have got rid of it using AVG
Thanks Chaps
Tom

Overdrive_5000
05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Dont use internet explorer use firefox instead :thumbs:

Thomas01
05-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Naw I spent a lifetime dealing with serious matters. Now I only deal with lightweight stuff that everybody can understand.
I hope I didn't get you too confused.
Tom

zqwerty
05-06-2006, 06:38 PM
For my information can you say whether or not you clicked on something which installed this or was it installed on-the-fly?

Thomas01
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
For my information can you say whether or not you clicked on something which installed this or was it installed on-the-fly?
It was installed on the fly - then I actually clicked on the button to run it - making sure I was not connected to the internet. Daft thing to do but I couldn't resist trying it.
Tom

manu
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Sounds just like the Errorsafe pop-ups flying around everywhere. There's no software in the world which stops people from clicking on a tempting advert with the word 'free' in it... :))

Pancake
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Sounds like you may have malware..

Download HijackThis (http://www.cyberanswers.org/forum/uploads/HijackThis1991.exe). It will create a directory folder for you in C\Program files. Run a scan and save the log file. Post the whole log file here. Do not fix anything since most of them listed there are harmless (some are system required). This program will help determine what,if any, spyware/malware is on your computer.

zqwerty
06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Thomas01, I can recommend this program if you are continuing to use IE:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

It should warn you and prevent you being able to open these types of files.

Make sure you update regularly.

CaptinMoor
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM

HAHAHAH my centerments exactly

Thomas01
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
HAHAHAH my centerments exactly
What's a centerment?