PDA

View Full Version : Win XP key

FoxyMX
05-06-2006, 10:31 AM
A mate of mine needs his computer reformatted but he's lost his CD which is Win XP Home original, ie without SP1/SP2 included. As my own WinXP disc has SP1 his Windows key won't work so I can't use my disc.

The three options I have are:

1. Try and find someone with a Win XP disc without service packs included and get a copy of it.

2. Phone Microsoft and see if they can help by maybe supplying another Windows key.

3. Buy another Win XP.

So far I have had no luck with #1 so will try #2 tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with Microsoft coming to the party in situations like this or do they just shrug and say tough luck, go buy another copy?

And just for the record, I used his CD the last time I fixed up his PC a year ago so I know that this isn't an illegal or dodgy install. It's just a pity I didn't make a copy of his disc for safekeeping like I did with his Windows key.

The_End_Of_Reality
05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I am not sure on this, but I would think that if you can get another Win XP CD (the one you need) and you have a LEGAL CD key (which you have) it should be fine because the OS HAS been brought and the CD was just misplaced, so I would say try find another CD maybe using other means :xmouth:

drcspy
05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
As my own WinXP disc has SP1 his Windows key won't work

have you tried to load it ?.......it [i]should[/b] work I woulda thought.....I've myself loaded xpsp2 (xp with sp2 slipstreamed in with it) onto several puters which had originally only had xp wiht NO sp's on them......for example reinstalling old pc company pc's........works well for me..

bob_doe_nz
05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Hmm, if its not working with the current install of XP, it might be a different version of XP e.g OEM, upgrade, retail...

There are sites on the net with details on how to alter that, but thats for you to find out. :xmouth:

FoxyMX
05-06-2006, 11:57 AM
have you tried to load it ?.......it should work I woulda thought.....I've myself loaded xpsp2 (xp with sp2 slipstreamed in with it) onto several puters which had originally only had xp wiht NO sp's on them......for example reinstalling old pc company pc's........works well for me..
No, I haven't actually tried it yet but I tried swapping my Windows key with his on this computer and it refused to work so I am pretty nervous about formatting then not being able to go any further. I have been in that situation before and it wasn't particularly fun so this time I want to cover all my bases before starting.

beama
05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
if you able to boot up your friends pc download and install Belrac that should reveal the key you are after

edit
opps sorry not the key you are after

FoxyMX
05-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks beama but I have the key. It is the disc that he can't find. In my very limited experience not all keys work with all discs.

Edit: Woops, I'm a bit slow there!

Greven
05-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks beama but I have the key. It is the disc that he can't find. In my very limited experience not all keys work with all discs.

Edit: Woops, I'm a bit slow there!
Does he know if he has an OEM copy or a retail copy?

OEM copies don't usually come with sp1 or 2 slipstreamed, so I'm guessing that your copy is a retail copy?

Any OEM XP home key will work with any OEM XP home CD, and any retail XP home key will work with any retail XP home CD.

If you don't have an OEM CD, you should borrow one & copy it - last time I checked, Microsoft were fine with that as long as you only use it on computers with the XP sticker on them.

tweak'e
05-06-2006, 12:36 PM
the keys will work with any SP disk unless its a pirate key which the SP blocks.

FoxyMX
05-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Does he know if he has an OEM copy or a retail copy?

OEM copies don't usually come with sp1 or 2 slipstreamed, so I'm guessing that your copy is a retail copy?

Any OEM XP home key will work with any OEM XP home CD, and any retail XP home key will work with any retail XP home CD.
He wouldn't know what an OEM version was if he fell over one so it's no good me asking him that. :p

I am 99% certain that it is an OEM version though, as is my own with SP1 included. Unless his Windows key is a jolly good imitation then it's not a pirated one so I have no worries there.

chiefnz
05-06-2006, 01:27 PM
OEM copies don't usually come with sp1 or 2 slipstreamed, so I'm guessing that your copy is a retail copy? Not entirely true, I've bought many copies of XP (post Version 2002) and they have come with SP1 included, I can't say with SP2 though but I have definitely seen OEM discs with SP1 included.

cheers

chiefnz

tweak'e
05-06-2006, 01:30 PM
OEM copies come with sp1 or sp2 installed.

Twelvevolts
05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
if you able to boot up your friends pc download and install Belrac that should reveal the key you are after

edit
opps sorry not the key you are after

That's the Belarc Advisor - just run it and it will give you your key. Will also give you office key etc. You'll also find out everything else that is on the computer - so it is useful to print off the report before you start. I print one of every now and then as a matter of course and file it, it comes in handy if you have a crash.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html