PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 to Dynamic NTFS

sarum
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi, after ME I now have XP on my single disk (2 Partitions) home use machine. I'm told that to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS; go to Control Center >: Admin >: Comp: Management, and right click on Disk0 for 3 options - one of which is 'convert to....' but I only get 'Help & Properties' neither of which tells me how to convert. Can anyone tell me please what I'm doing wrong here.
Cheers Sarum.

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
You go to start/run and type in cmd. Then type convert /?

It'll give u an example of how to convert the hdd to NTFS.

It should be basic. Dont change it to Dynamic.

And once u change it to NTFS, you cant change it back to FAT32.

Unless u use something like Partitionmagic, or reformat the partition.

MTLance
04-06-2006, 09:55 PM
When installing XP did you choose format windows to NTFS? I convert my old FAT32 to NTFS from there. Or use Partition Magic once you've Windows Installed, I know it is going to cost money but for the safe side before deleting the whole windows.

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2006, 09:58 PM
When installing XP did you choose format windows to NTFS? I convert my old FAT32 to NTFS from there. Or use Partition Magic once you've Windows Installed, I know it is going to cost money but for the safe side before deleting the whole windows.

You can convert to NTFS while XP is installed. It's safe.

You just cant change it back, without a 3rd party program.

MTLance
04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
You can convert to NTFS while XP is installed. It's safe.

You just cant change it back, without a 3rd party program.
That's right. I done it before using partition magic or reformatting the whole system in the old days but not now. I guess this thing will still work since you're using XP.

sarum
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Hello and thanks for your help. Conversion seems easy and risk free via cdm > convert etc.
Speedy's first answer to my question advised not converting to dynamic. Can anyone point out the pros and cons of 'dynamic NTFS'. It certainly sounds good.
Cheers Sarum.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Info on both here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343/EN-US/)

Dynamic is used mostly for spanning and RAID. And only XP Pro supports it.

Home doesn't.

I don't think Dynamic has anything to do with NTFS.

Its just an option u can format in.

mzee
05-06-2006, 11:46 AM
If you are booting with "Boot Magic" your system primary partitions should be FAT 32 otherwise the Boot will not see them. I have Windows 98 and XPpro in Fat 32. The Data partitions for the XP are NTFS so the kids who use the W98 can not access them.

sarum
06-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks both of you for your replies. Dynamic disks may sound good but are not for me just now.
Sarum