PDA

View Full Version : No thumbnails for any video besides WMV, MPEG and OGM

Pedrovsk
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey,

I've just noticed that, differently from my old PC and my friends', I can't see the thumbnail of the first image of any video (AVI, MOV etc) besides MPEG, WMV and OGM. All I get is a white square with the icon of the player for that type of video inside that square.

I have installed ac3 filter, Xvid, ffdshow and OggDS0996 video codecs so far (don't remember which audio and video codecs I had installed in my old PC though). Also installed QuickTime, WMP10, RealPlayer and BSPlayer 1.39 (had them all installed in my old PC too). What do I need to do to get the thumbnails back working? Sometimes they're useful to quickly identify a movie without checking for its name.

Maybe I need some more codecs or is this a Windows-interface related issue? There is no thumbs.db in the folder that has the .avi and .mov videos that don't have thumbnails. Also if I edit the file name and change .avi extension to .wmv or .mpg it shows thumbnails.

Do you know any program/utility to manually add a thumbnail to video files in explorer?

Thanks! :)

Pedrovsk
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Problem solved. I was missing a ShellEx registry entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for .avi.