PDA

View Full Version : OCR from a existing bitmap/jpeg

John W
02-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Im not sure this is possible, But is it possible to OCR from an existing bmp or jpeg type file.

I know my Brother MFC scans an image in bmp format and OCR the text when it placed on its flatbed scanner. So I was wondering if this was possible and what program will pull it off?

Thanks.........John in Mosgiel.

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Omnipage is a program that does OCR. Text and graphics.

BUT this isnt free. If this is what you want to do. There are a lot of other programs around, but I think most of them are shareware. And you'll have to pay for these as well.

Or if u just want to scan graphics, just use a program like Irfanview, which is free.

Scouse
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi John. I use an HP scanner which came with OCR function. It is the third scanner I have had, all different makes, and each came with its own brand of OCR. They vary greatly in accuracy but this Hp seems to do quite a good job if the original is clean and not too creased. The HP does not actually invite a scan for OCR, it gives the choice of scanning for picture or text and the latter is the OCR.

John W
02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I probably havent made myself clear, I want to scan from an existing bmp file, sitting in my PC, not one that needs printing out, then scanning for OCR.

Thanks..............John.

Scouse
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi John. I tend to take the simple approach to such things. I would probably print it out and then scan it OCR.

Shortstop
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree - that's what I would do too. However, if you ever find a way to convert to text from an image file please let us know. Would be very useful.

Billy T
03-06-2006, 11:32 PM
You might be waiting a very long time. TTBOMK it is simply not possible. Print and scan is the only option.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg
03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
TTBOMK What's that?

roddy_boy
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
To the best of my knowledge. People are just getting ridiculous with their abbreviations on the internet these days.

Billy T
04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
IGBTTDWMTTWAYOAA

C

B 8-{)

Greg
04-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Ah. Nevermind.

Sometimes GYBB, but occasionaly not so.

Anyway NTJ.