PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Shutdown Problem

Erayd
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 5.10 with the kubuntu-desktop packages installed. I use kdm as the display manager, and KDE (usually) as the desktop environment.

Whenever I try to shut down the PC, kdm hangs. This prevents the PC shutting down. If I wait for a while, eventually some of the other stuff seems to close, and I am left with a black background with the mouse pointer. At this point, the PC will not do anything further without user intervention.

To make it shut down, I switch to another (text) login and use '/etc/init.d/kdm stop'. The PC will then shut down normally. I have checked the init scripts and that's not the problem - runlevels 0 and 6 are both set to stop kdm. I don't think kdm is crashing because it still seems to respond to the service stop command.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Bletch

mejobloggs
02-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not trying to discourage the use of this forum or anything, but the Ubuntu irc channel is reeally useful. Try getting help there if you want it fast.

heni72847
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
um..i don't have the answer but i do have the same problem

i usually log off user
the ctrl+alt+backspace
that bring me back into login screen
then shutdown from there

or you can just keep your computer on like i do then you won't find this problem so..problematic :p

Erayd
02-06-2006, 04:44 PM
...just keep your computer on...Well, I would leave it on except that this one is in my bedroom - try sleeping with a 747 taking off next to the pillow and you'll see the problem. Cheers for the suggestion mejoblogs - will do.

mejobloggs
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh, and post the answer here for reference for others.

Try upgrading to 6.06 also. 6.06 is very good.

Erayd
02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I will post the answer back here once I get it. I will be trying 6.06 as soon as my shipit disks arrive.

dolby digital
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 5.10 with the kubuntu-desktop packages installed. I use kdm as the display manager, and KDE (usually) as the desktop environment.

Whenever I try to shut down the PC, kdm hangs. This prevents the PC shutting down. If I wait for a while, eventually some of the other stuff seems to close, and I am left with a black background with the mouse pointer. At this point, the PC will not do anything further without user intervention.

To make it shut down, I switch to another (text) login and use '/etc/init.d/kdm stop'. The PC will then shut down normally. I have checked the init scripts and that's not the problem - runlevels 0 and 6 are both set to stop kdm. I don't think kdm is crashing because it still seems to respond to the service stop command.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Bletch

It could be a number of things. Check /var/log/messages for anything strange from X11. Have you tried reinstalling KDE?

Erayd
03-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Not yet, I hadn't thought of that. Cheers, I'll let you know what the result is.

Erayd
03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
OK, I also checked the processes with top while shutting down - there seem to be two instances of kdm running, even though I am only using one X session. Should this be happening? Nothing weird in the messages file about X11.

Erayd
04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I haven't forgotten to post back - I'm still working (slowly) around this issue. I'll post back here once I've solved it.

heni72847
04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
um..after i upgraded to the dapper my problem for this was gone
you might want to consider that when you get the change/have the time

Erayd
04-06-2006, 11:31 PM
um..after i upgraded to the dapper my problem for this was gone
you might want to consider that when you get the change/have the time
Cheers for that, I might try the upgrade before going any further with attempting to solve the problem, as I really can't be bothered solving an unnecessary problem. Just have to wait for the end of the month (9th) :D

heni72847
05-06-2006, 12:36 AM
hehe..yea..
um..just be ready for a complete system destruction like i nearly had to deal with after upgrading..

if you read lots before upgrading then it hopefully should be fine

Erayd
05-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks, although I plan for complete system destruction anyway - I usually do a complete wipe of the system when I put a new distro on, so I can see what it's like out of the box. I don't save any data locally - all my files are on a server, and so is my email - I use imap. I won't attempt an upgrade with apt-get upgrade, I noticed that warning in the other thread. Cheers.

heni72847
05-06-2006, 11:00 AM
wow lucky you
i was thinking of doing a complete reinstall too
but that would take a while to prepair and move files..
..didn't have enough patience so just tried my luck anyway :rolleyes: