PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, reliable ISP and a web hosting provider

straka01
01-06-2006, 08:30 AM
THREE QUESTIONS REALLY:
1/ I'm tied of problems with my current web host provider so I'm looking to change. Can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable web host provider - preferably one that uploads fast - I use winsock.ftp.

2/ How hard is it to set up my own server? Would a celeron 2.66ghz with 512meg DDR2 533 ram and a Giga-byte 8I915duo motherboard and a 160gig sata hdd do the job? If so, what do I need to set it up? Is there a good website to teach me how? Do I need to have broadband or would dialup be OK?

3/ A new ISP is in the wind for me too. I'm currently with XTRA using dialup (as I can't get broadband where I live - just 30mins north of AKLD!). Can anyone recommend a cheaper, reliable ISP - one that doesn't require a toll charge whenever I dial up? Prefer to pay as I use it rather than months ahead.

Thanks in advance.

superuser
01-06-2006, 09:02 AM
1/ Try www.webbase.co.nz or www.webdrive.co.nz, both are excellent NZ based hosting companies. All web hosts will support FTP, choose a host with NZ based servers if you want fast FTP uploads.

2/ If the 3=true you cannot get broadband? Dialup would not be good enough to run a server and to be honest you would save your self a lot of hassle by simply paying for hosting. Setting up a server is relativly easy e.g. most linux distros allow you to do a "server" installation...but if you don't have any experience it will be a time consuming endevour.

3/ Havn't used dialup since 2002 so pass... :p

stu161204
01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
1/ I'm tied of problems with my current web host provider so I'm looking to change. Can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable web host provider - preferably one that uploads fast - I use winsock.ftp.

Have a Look at these websites, which should be of some help :)

http://www.hostinghub.co.nz/

http://www.weblist.co.nz/

& you may want to post on these forums:

http://www.hostingforum.co.nz/ & http://www.webhostingtalk.co.nz/

2/ How hard is it to set up my own server? Would a celeron 2.66ghz with 512meg DDR2 533 ram and a Giga-byte 8I915duo motherboard and a 160gig sata hdd do the job? If so, what do I need to set it up? Is there a good website to teach me how?

If you donít know what your doing with a server, I wonít recommended doing it for your self & putting the server live i.e. on the internet as there is a lot of security things you need to do so your server does not get hacked & other thing as wellÖ

But a VPS Ė Google VPS if you donít know what it means or a Dedicated Server / managed Dedicated Server maybe your better bet if you what to have your own server.

But if you are just doing this to lean more about servers & you just want to run this server over your local network then by all means go ahead, & if you do a search of PressF1 for something likeĒset-up server or something like that you will find a very old post by nz_liam (NOTE: Please Donít bump up that post, Please!)

Do I need to have broadband or would dialup be OK?

Not many NZ ISPís will let you run a server of there connections, but there is one or two ISPs that do, ihug is one that I think still lets you run a server of your connection.

I Hope this helps :)

PeterA
01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Try paradise.net.nz

Cost $9.95 per month but you only get 20 hours. Ok for email and the occasional surf. This is dial-up price.

Peter A

maccrazy
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Do I need to have broadband or would dialup be OK?Broadband wouldn't even be ok. If you are running a server you need good upstream speeds and these aren't available on residential ADSL connections.

FoxyMX
01-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Try paradise.net.nz

Cost $9.95 per month but you only get 20 hours. Ok for email and the occasional surf. This is dial-up price.
Would recommend Actrix before Paradise myself. They are also cheaper - 30 hours for $9.95 or 60 hours with Actrix tolls.

However, I think the original poster is looking for something a bit more than that.

Sweep
01-06-2006, 06:04 PM
In my opinion you can cheap OR reliable not both.

superuser
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Broadband wouldn't even be ok. If you are running a server you need good upstream speeds and these aren't available on residential ADSL connections.

I disagree, I have a friend that runs a server (he is a uber nerd) from his garage (his parents garage...making him not just a nerd,but uber) he hosted his own website, mail, remote access etc..

Obviously they are low traffic, non commercial sites but it still works, and works well.

Edit: this is all beside the point, dont setup your own server. :p

maccrazy
01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Oh, yeah, it's definitely possible but it isn't really practical unless your site is text only with few visitors, or your visitors are very, very patient. :p

Dannz
02-06-2006, 07:54 AM
What about raider? - 9.95 for unlimited -- and as far as i know its an offshoot of Actrix

Joe90Davies
02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
I've got a site hosted with ezikiwi (www.ezikiwi.com). They're based in the US, but it's run by a NZer. Costs $5 a month, you get 100Mb of disk space for that, and I think 500Mb traffic per month.

We have quite a big hit rate and some major downloads (Vic Uni class was recommending one of our bigger pages), but we still come in under the limit each month.

They're very responsive and good to deal with via email.

I'd recommend them.

Joe Davies

straka01
08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I found out about 'Kiwis On Line' or www.kol.co.nz.
They seem to be good as an ISP and cheap at $9.95 per month 'unlimited'. Certainly a big saving on Xtra's dialup plan for unlimited use at $27.95 month!
I tested KOL for a month now and they seem to be quite reliable.

I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good dialup access provider.

Thanks for all your advice - I've given away the idea of setting up my own server....