PDA

View Full Version : Combining internet connections through wireless network

JimboJones
31-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Me and my friend next door both have 56k and are wireless networked together(laptops). Can we both connect to the net and combine the connections? So far if I connect, it only uses my connection and ignors my friends.

Speedy Gonzales
31-05-2006, 09:26 PM
If u mean can you connect, to the net, and your mate use your connection, he should be able to.

Altho it would help if your laptop had some kind of Access point capability, or AP connected to it. And your mate would also have to configure his WLAN properly. Hopefully, both have something better than WEP.

I spose it would also depend on how far apart you two are.

What do u mean by combine the connections?

If you connect at 56k, you and your mate would also download /surf at 56k etc.

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I believe he means have both connected concurrently to *share* the load, so both would effectively be connected at 112kbps (give or take..)

Personally I dont know of any way but would like to, so il keep an eager eye on this thread :)

vinref
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
This can be done with Linux, but requires some funky routing magic.

Basically, you need to set up two routing tables on each machine, and you set the default route to be a multi-path route. When you set the multi-path route, you specify weights - i.e., 60% of all traffic should go through your direct connection and 40% through your mate's.

See man iproute.