PDA

View Full Version : Photo clarity with photocopying

Lindy
30-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi
I am trying to include photos in a bulletin. I am using Word 2003 - photos jpeg - printing Greyscale /black cartridge for Master.
Firstly I tried printing with the photos left in colour but no clarity so then converted them into black/white hoping better match alas -

I am printing the finished bulletin firstly in 'Best' quality print where photos included - then to photocopy master - can someone please throw some light on what I may be doing wrong?
cheers Lindy

kingdragonfly
30-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I'll assume you're talking about non-color reproduction.

Usually professionals use a package like Adobe Photoshop to increase the contrast. Failing that, you would remove the subject from the background or adjust the subject and background independently.

If I were to do it quickly, I'd convert the image to grayscale, then use the Tools... levels tool to *manually* increase the contrast. The reference white and black eyedroppers work wonders. Sorry I couldn't find a tutorial on the web.

Paintshop Pro is substantially cheaper than Photoshop, but alas I have no experience with it.

godfather
30-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Right click on the images in the Word document and select "format picture"

On the Picture tab you have adjustments for brightness and contrast.

Try those for a better result.

quarry
31-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Hi
I am trying to include photos in a bulletin. I am using Word 2003 - photos jpeg - printing Greyscale /black cartridge for Master.
Firstly I tried printing with the photos left in colour but no clarity so then converted them into black/white hoping better match alas -

I am printing the finished bulletin firstly in 'Best' quality print where photos included - then to photocopy master - can someone please throw some light on what I may be doing wrong?
cheers Lindy

What printer are you using - you may need one that can print photo quality (e.g. Canon iP3000 or 4200 inkjets) & also you need to print on high resolution paper, not standard A4 paper

Murray P
31-05-2006, 01:52 AM
As per quarry, what model is the printer, or is a photocopier?

How many bulletins do you need to publish and how many pages? Just thinking of what would be the best type of device to use.

I do quite a bit of colour photo printing for reports where high definition is a requirement. With anything over about 5-10 images (usually only three or four copies required), I take the work out to a printer/copy shop who run them off on a commercial colour laser printer, because it's too blimmin slow and expensive on my inject which gives the desired image results. you may want to consider doing the same if you don't have the right gear at work.

Lindy
31-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks - answering queries..
My printer is HP deskjet 5652..the bulletin is for a volunteer organ. can only be on A4 copy paper in black & white photocopy.
.....I'm not expecting miracles (I can do that on good photo paper) but I would love to have the standard to be able to recognise those in the photos
cheers Lindy :)

Murray P
31-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Lindy, that's not a bad printer, it'll be a bit slow for reasonably high res, even in greyscale (BTW, have you ticked the check box "Print In Grayscale" + "High Quality" in the File > Print > HP Print dialogue > Properties > Colour tab? Assuming the layout and wording is similar to the HP5550).

If your print settings are ok, it'll mostly be down to the paper quality. For printing off high res, I use a 4CC branded 90gsm paper from Storaenso (Warehouse Stationery), which has a slight gloss finish (not photographic by any means) and is reasonably priced. The commercial printer/copy shop I use, uses a standard weight 80gsm Canon paper which also has a slight gloss and produces pretty good results, though not quite as good as the 4CC stuff. Either is much better than the standard Canon, Reflex, Xerox, et al, printer/copier paper, for image reproduction.

zqwerty
31-05-2006, 05:19 PM
You should be importing the pictures into MS Word not copy and pasting them into the document as I remember. The pictures need to be at least 150 dpi or you will get pixelated results.

Murray P
31-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Scanning Tips, Scaling To Print (http://www.scantips.com/basics2c.html), read that the next pages.

Slightly OT, Scanning Tips, Say No To 72dpi (http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html), but still relevant to what Zqwerty mentions about dpi and pixels.