PDA

View Full Version : change file type

effie c
30-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi,
Old, I know I am, but even so, I cannot remember how to change a file type.
In photoshop I want to change the PDF file to JPEG
I have saved a business card made, using Publisher, to my documents.
When I come to change the file type so I can open it - I keep getting "cannot open C:\documentsand settings\name\my documents \business card.pub"--- but I can open it from "my docs"

In an even more exasperating situation,although the sample is in "my Docs"
When I, sic., use photoshop>browse, etc there is no record of it in the drop down list to be able to select from, although it does show by clicking on "my documents " on the desktop.

I have searched in F1 files and the nearest thing is a reply by Godfather, where he says go to windows explorer>tool>folder optionfile>select change" fine , but where is windows explorer?
I have used this method before- using W 98 SE, but surely it has not changed that much, since using XP?
:help:
effie c

FoxyMX
30-05-2006, 05:02 PM
You can't change file types that way Eddie. If your business card was created in Publisher it would have a PUB extension by default, not PDF and you won't be able to open that file in Photoshop.

If you want the business card to be a JPG file and it has a PUB extension then open it again in Publisher and go to File > Save As and in the drop down box scroll until you get the JPEG, JPG, etc options and choose that. It will then be saved as a JPG file. You will then be able to open it in Photoshop but you won't be able to edit it. Only Publisher will allow you to edit it.

Access Windows Explorer by using the Windows key + E or by going to My Computer. My Documents is pretty much Windows Explorer as well.

effie c
30-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi Susan,
Marvellous- after all these years - I had never gone about using that technique.
Sweep, who knows me from of the past, also rang just as your reply came in, and clarified things in a similar vein- end result betwwen the pair of you- one happy chappie.
Ouch ! Though I am able to operate the original query,now,-

but still am not able to sight the business card in the "browse"> "my documents"either from photoshop,or Adobe, and it looks like Paintshop- - I get a reply "no such file"- yet when opening "my documents " from the desk top- there is my business card-
but open it as above - there is nothing there- are you able to explain why, please
In other words the desktop version shows it but th einternall approach does not

Ed

FoxyMX
30-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Eddie, glad to hear you got it sorted out. That was kind of Sweep to give you a call and explain things.

The reason why you can't sight the business card from Photoshop, Adobe or Paintshop is because they do not support the kind of file that the business card is, ie a PUB file. They will only show files that they can open. All programs are like this.

Publisher shows it because the file was created with that program.

Windows Explorer shows it because it shows all files except those that are set to be hidden, including system files.

Clear as mud? :p

effie c
30-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Thank you Susan,
clear as mud ?--- funnily enough your reply was clearer than I expected, and enhanced my knowledge if nothing else, so between you and Sweeper I think -hope- whatever, I can resume my keeping myself occupied in my dotage,as well as enjoying computing.
To think I was taught on a Amiga so many years ago (10 years) and how the following on by W95, W 98SE, and finally XP- gee ! there alone, are major changes- and for an old B***** like me - my panic at what I was going to do, when retired- has been cancelled out - :thumbs:
I have never been so sure that now a days there are not so many minutes or hours in a day as there was :)
Eddie

SolMiester
30-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Ed, wish my mother was as adventurous as you with a PC, as a technican, I all too often forget what level she is at and it is a nightmare trying to support her over the phone.

Good on ya mate!