PDA

View Full Version : Domestic AC power supply andd PC problem?

Wallygator
29-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Purchased an Athlon 64 3000+ and Asus N-force 4 MB, assembled, loaded the BIOS, attempted to load opensusE 10 - kernel 64 not found. Re-booted and it had lost the BIOS - re-loaded and tried Xandros 2.0. Failed to load, and on next reboot had lost the BIOS again. Took back to shop - they diagnosed faulty MB and replaced. On trying again same symptoms. Suddenly they look at me sideways - either operator problem or AC supply problem. They satisfied themselves that the system was OK, but after a third attempt and having an electrician check my house (under full load the AC dropped from 239 to 231, and the Earth was OK) they changed the MB to an Albatron N-force 4, ran it with benchmarks for 90 hours and still say it`s the user or my environment. And yes, it won`t boot into XP on 2 completely different rooms hence circuits here. As a former registered EST can`t imagine what on the AC supply could be causing this problem, and it still allows me to run this ancient 455MHz machine (although have run into problems with my PIII as well, although was blaming that on a possible virus).
So 2 queries really - what might screw up a modern computer booting, and will opensusE 10 or Ubuntu 5.1 run on this system?

tweak'e
29-05-2006, 09:48 PM
if your power is dropping that much on suck a light load then there is proberly a poor connection on the mains.

however any decent powersupply will handle the small difference in voltage. if it is volts related then its most likt the PSU at fault.

PaulD
29-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Seems odd that you can't get a computer running on mains circuits that presumably can power heaters. I've had a problem where, if the stove element was powering on and the there was a reasonable amount of other load, the lights would dim. Problem traced to faulty fuse mount on street pole. Computer never troubled by that.

pctek
30-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Purchased an Athlon 64 3000+ and Asus N-force 4 MB,

they changed the MB to an Albatron N-force 4,

what might screw up a modern computer booting,
First get them to put the ASUS back in - its a far better board than the Albatron.

Second change the PSU.

Wallygator
30-05-2006, 08:48 PM
In reply, not a light! load, this was every appliance that could be turned on - oven, elements, microwave heater etc - an abnormal load. I agree the Asus was probably the better MB, but also got some real "spin" from the computer tech, like shouldn`t have anything but the computer and monitor on the same outlet. Besides a lecture on how to clean a CD when I`ve probably fixed as many as he has computers - and recommending isopropyl as the best, when I know it still leaves an oily residue, which is why I recommend CO contact cleaner (just be careful, there was one version that didn`t like plastics) -but I digress.
So do I go back under the sale of goods, or do I have a more thorough check of my household supply? I admit that one circuit did have the occasional "brown out" the kitchen, but haven`t had any problems elsewhere in the house. And obviously, heaps of computer controlled devices, even some still on linear rather than switch mode supplies that should be more sensitive to voltage variations or noise and spikes.
Throw it back into the ring and hope for more suggestions.

Kelem
30-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Unless you have a faulty neutral and a dodgey earth, supply is not the problem, possibly a neighbour with a suss neutral but unlikey. esp if you have had other volt sensitive devices on the circuit. I'd look to maybe packing it up in a box and taking it to the nearest friends for a crack to see if problem replicates, going from there.
Interested to hear how you get on. good luck :thumbs:

Kelem

zqwerty
30-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Surely the shop must have a loan computer for times when things go wrong like this, when people have bought a computer and for whatever reason there are problems.

Take the known good computer supplied by the store back to your house and plug it in.

Keep it for a couple of days and if it blows up you know it is your house wiring or something, if it doesn't then the original computer has a problem and it is up to them to fix the problem to your satisfaction or give you your money back.

What is wrong with service technicians these days, when I was with Sedley Wells we always had backup loan equipment for this kind of thing.

They have your money and all you have is BS. Tell them you want your money back if they don't get on the ball and solve the problem one way or another.

SolMiester
30-05-2006, 10:11 PM
If you can afford it, a UPS would be the bomb here to give clean power to the pc.
Bit of a hack, you may very well have household issues with power, but the UPS will resolve the issue.

tweak'e
30-05-2006, 10:51 PM
a decent sized UPS not connect to the mains (ie power the pc via batteries) would at least indicated if it was pc realated or mains related.

useing a UPS full time may mask the problem not actually fix it.