PDA

View Full Version : Confused about my connection

Erger
27-05-2006, 10:14 AM
When we first got broadband we were supplied the D-link modem from Xtra, ran the setup CD and away we went.

Then we added a few month later a Linksys Wireless router - so now we had a cable from the phone socket to the modem, an ethernet cable to the router and an ethernet cable from the router to the PC - ran the setup CD and away we went. When we first connected with a laptop to the wireless router we were prompted for a password that was randomly generated at setup..... all good.

When the PC was away getting fixed we were still able to connect to the internet wirelessly thru the router, again all good.

Now I have the PC back, a completely fresh installation, have plugged the ethernet cable into the back and bingo we are up and running and connected. No running of a CD for the modem or the router so I am confused as to how that works and whether there is any reason I should run the 2 cd's.

Tks George

PaulD
27-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Your modem and router have retained their setup as expected. You don't need to do it again. Your PC is getting its info via DHCP from the router.

pctek
27-05-2006, 12:16 PM
When we first got broadband we were supplied the D-link modem from Xtra, ran the setup CD and away we went.

And just for your info: all the setup CD does is access the router and prompt you to add your username and password. Which you could do yourself by via your browser.