PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Broadband Plans

harryl
25-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Guys,

I have recently set up a new site which lets you compare the top broadband providers. I've set it up as a free service to everyone so check it out and let me know what you think.

www.internetchoice.co.nz

Cheers.

Harry

KiwiMR2
25-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Looks good :)

Would be nice to have the option so SORT the results differently.....the top line where you have:

ISP Plan Type Speed Monthly Cost DownloadLimit Bundled

So we can click on each one & sort from highest to lowest etc.

I can't see WorldxChange (Xnet) on there :(
....who worked out what is considered to be the "TOP" providers??
But yeah....good idea, site looks nice :thumbs:

Cheers
KiwiMR2

dconline
25-05-2006, 07:54 PM
looks great mate

harryl
25-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Since I have lauched it Xnet has been the most asked for providers! I am updating the list on the weekend and will have a much more comprehensive list then. I also plan to add different features such as contract periods, caps, etc over the coming weeks.

But thanks for your honest feedback! It's appreciated.

Cheers.

jermsie
25-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I like it a lot. Great, simple layout. Uncluttered is good

Cool Beveridge
25-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Nice work! I got a nasty suprise today when I found out that my Telecom 10 Gigabyte data allowance includes uploads!!! Now I feel doubly ripped-off as they do not clearly state this in any of their advertising. [edit].
So I am shopping around for a provider which can offer me better conditions but I don't think anyone can beat T.C [edit] on price.

[Edit]: Please refer to the forum rules (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243) over the use of offensive words. Putting a white space between the letters to prevent the forum auto-censor removing them is not acceptable behaviour - Jen (Moderator)]

Erayd
25-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Not bad. Why are some of the monthly prices listed as $0.00?

Ninjabear
25-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I wonder if he is using Orcon as his ISP as the website seem to promote orcon.

60Gb for Orcon for 3.5mbps/512kbps with $150 as stated on his website

while

If you are with Ihug you get 60GB and you you pay $150 for 3.5mbps/512kbps.This was not stated on the website.

This was chosen with at least 256k and over 50Gb per month

If you choose any speed with any limit you will find that the result.The top best plan is says Orcon with

Surfer Medium ADSL 3500/128 $49.95 10000 Mb
Pro Surfer ADSL 3500/512 $69.95 4000 Mb

While the rest of the plans are $29.95

It doesn't make sense to put Orcon at the top at the price of $49.95 and the $69.95.Ihug would've been at the top not orcon at 3.5mbps/128kbps at $50 for 15GB

if you choose 3.5 mbps and over 50Gb you get orcon again $150 for 40G

Not supporting Ihug or anything but site tends to support orcon more.

Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure Telstra clear would fit somewhere in the middle.

Im sure you'll update your website with new plans overtime :D

gibler
26-05-2006, 12:02 AM
To be fair to Ihug:

You don't seem to include the off-peak allowance
Ihug don't count uploads..

harryl
26-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have added another 3 ISP's (Slingshot, XNet and Iconz). I am currently working on a few updates that will allow more indepth analysis in each plan (caps, setup costs, modem, etc).

I am trying a few techniques with the banners and featured plans. The orcon plans are showing up first as I am currently testing a few things. You will find over the coming weeks, a few more ISP's will have this function enabled too!

Thnaks again for the feedback guys and look out for changes over the next few days.

Cheers.

Ninjabear
26-05-2006, 04:39 AM
What does the column "bundled" mean?

JJJJJ
26-05-2006, 06:25 AM
To be fair to Ihug:

You don't seem to include the off-peak allowance
Ihug don't count uploads..

Yes they do! As from today

jermsie
26-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Argh!!!!!! This totally sucks!

Strommer
26-05-2006, 09:35 AM
That is a great site, Harryl. Thanks. Consumers also has an ISP comparison but it is for dialup only - the broadband comparisons are for paying subscribers.

"Bundled" needs to be put on the FAQ page.

gibler
26-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes they do! As from today

Oh dear :angry

Doesn't happen until July 1 though...

harryl
26-05-2006, 11:21 AM
That is a great site, Harryl. Thanks. Consumers also has an ISP comparison but it is for dialup only - the broadband comparisons are for paying subscribers.

"Bundled" needs to be put on the FAQ page.

Thanks Steve_L. I'll add it to the list for the weekend.

Harryl

jboy
26-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Orcon is OK if all is well, any trouble yuck. I dumped them, I could not stand the 10-20 minute waits on their help line.
J

stu161204
26-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Another site just like http://www.internetchoice.co.nz/ is: http://www.ispfind.co.nz/

jermsie
26-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Ihug: What is counted towards my monthly data allowance?
On all ihug plans both upload and download data counts towards your data allowance (you download data every time you surf the internet or receive emails and you upload data when you send emails or use the internet to make voice calls).

I think it already started. As for the peak/offpeak times changing, i think that's from july 1.

JJJJJ
26-05-2006, 01:55 PM
I think when it's all boiled down there is absolutely no difference between ISP's with the quality and priceing of their product.
The only difference I can see is how they respond when you report a fault.
They are all liars when they advertise their product.

Come to think of it all "sellers" are liars when describing their product.

Strommer
26-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Another site ... is: http://www.ispfind.co.nz/

Thanks Stu! :thumbs:

harryl
28-05-2006, 01:58 AM
I have just added another 4 ISP's www.internetchoice.co.nz/providers.php. If anyone has any other ISP suggestions, pease let me know.

Harry

technicianxp
28-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Just a comment on Xnet, these guys are really good.

They're my first broadband provider and I joined them last year when they weren't too well known. Since then I've had trouble-free broadband and I haven't had to switch toll providers either (the main reason behind choosing them).

I always get good download speeds (even compared to a 512kbps Wired Country connection at work since Compass did something to it) and I'm pretty sure their help desk is good too (I've only ever had to contact them once so I can't say much about it).

Thanks for including them on your site cause they defenitely deserve to be there. :thumbs: