PDA

View Full Version : Beep Sounds

G-Boy
24-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Peoples,I have a Award bios, My comp won't boot, just a black screen, and a high low alarm, all most like a Ambulance siren or something. Is it true that this means it is allways a cpu problem? :badpc:

Jen
24-05-2006, 09:31 PM
That normally does indicate a CPU problem. Have you checked to make sure the CPU fan is turning and that the heatsink is firmly seated?

G-Boy
24-05-2006, 10:19 PM
That normally does indicate a CPU problem. Have you checked to make sure the CPU fan is turning and that the heatsink is firmly seated?

Yup, fan spinning, heatsink firm. The day it started beeping I managed to get it started after half a dozen attempts. It had a checksum error i think, Which may have been due to some, Active X Control "missing file" entries that were in the registry. which I deleted just before it rebooted to beeps. :waughh: but I reloaded bios defaults and booted to windows, i used the computer for a few hours trouble free, then turned it off. Well she wont go now, :(

tweak'e
24-05-2006, 10:50 PM
sounds like cpu problem........or your bios has reset (the checksum error) and the defaults don't work with your hardware.

pctek
25-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Peoples,I have a Award bios, My comp won't boot, just a black screen, and a high low alarm, all most like a Ambulance siren or something. Is it true that this means it is allways a cpu problem? :badpc:
Yes. In fact it is the CPU overheat warning.
Re-check it thoroughly, if necessary take the HSF off and apply new paste and reseat it again.

G-Boy
25-05-2006, 08:43 AM
sounds like cpu problem........or your bios has reset (the checksum error) and the defaults don't work with your hardware.

Problem is now i cant even push delete to get into the settings, cause it wont get that far, its just a black screen.

pctek
25-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Problem is now i cant even push delete to get into the settings, cause it wont get that far, its just a black screen.
Cooked......

tweak'e
25-05-2006, 10:58 AM
what motherboard? and what cpu?

some mobo's won't fire up unless the fan is spinning at a certain about of RPM. if the fan is slow at starting the bios thinks the fan has failed and gives error beeps. if te bios reset that optoin may be turned on by default.

might be time to take it to a shop.

Pancake
25-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Try the beep codes.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:2NEc7xBdI0UJ:www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm+Award+bios+beep+codes&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=1

G-Boy
25-05-2006, 01:47 PM
what motherboard? and what cpu?

some mobo's won't fire up unless the fan is spinning at a certain about of RPM. if the fan is slow at starting the bios thinks the fan has failed and gives error beeps. if te bios reset that optoin may be turned on by default.

might be time to take it to a shop.

Asus A7N266-VM Motherboard AMD Athlon 1800xp+. The fan seems to be spinning up fast, its a loud fan it dosnt seem to sound any different.

tweak'e
25-05-2006, 02:38 PM
did you reset the bios ?

G-Boy
25-05-2006, 05:29 PM
did you reset the bios ?

The first time it started making the beeps i managed to get it started after a few tries. At which point it said something about a checksum error and did i want to reset bios defaults. I clicked yes, it restet defaults and booted fine. But since i turned it off after that it will not go any further than a black screen and the beeps.

G-Boy
26-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Ok update, I took the comp to the shop and they say the Motherboard is toast :badpc: