PDA

View Full Version : ADSL line problem

borax
22-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Ok, i have just got Slingshot ADSL setup. The line passed ok. I set up the connection, password etc all OK, but the modem has an intermittent flashing DSL light, the one that means it cant connect out.
I have tested the modem on a friends phone line and it works OK, the DSL light is solid. Back at home the DSL still flashes. I have tried it on another phone points and the same thing happens. A man has come out and tested the line from Slingshot to the exchange and says everything is OK, so the problem is between my house and the exchange!!
Does anyone have any suggestions, it looks like i might not be able to get broadband!!!!!

TeejayR
22-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Do you have filters on all of your phone outlets with phones/faxes attached?

If so, one of them may be faulty, it may pay to disconnect all your phones/filters and see if you can get a solid ADSL signal - if this works you can add the phones/filters back 1 at a time to see which is faulty.

borax
22-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Cheers, but i have tried that already and the filters are fine. I think i might have to try and convince the neighbours (who have got BB already) to get a wireless setup and let me share it :D

pctek
22-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Between your house and the exchange is a big area. He's lost interest because it is either your problem or Telecoms.
Your next step is to contact Telecom and get them to check the line.

And check your end, is your phone crackly and/or unreliable? Check your jackpoints, are they new or old, manky looking or ok? Telecom rae responsible for the part that goes from outside your gate to the exchange but you are responsible for what is within your property.

PaulD
22-05-2006, 07:43 PM
A man has come out and tested the line from Slingshot to the exchange and says everything is OK, so the problem is between my house and the exchange!!

The line from Slingshot to the exchange is a virtual circuit shared by all of the Slingshot customers. Did he confirm that ADSL had actually been activated on your line. If he tested YOUR line at the exchange and it was OK but not OK at your house that would mean there was some problem with the cable to your place.

borax
22-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes, the man from Slingshot confirmed my line was OK. Slight update, i have managed to get on-line very briefly, but the connection was lost again.
Is there much adjustability on the gain at the exchange? I think i must be right on the edge of tolerance.
What is the deal with local cables from exchange to premises, whose resposibility is it to get it sorted??

Fredtan
23-05-2006, 09:12 AM
My line has intermittent problems as well. I have that little box replaced (where the phone connects to) as it was rather old and loose as well, and things were perfect after that. Not sure that will help in your case.

Graham L
23-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Time for the simple question:
Have you got your ADSL modem connected directly to the telephone line?

It must not be connected through a filter. (If you have a "filter" with two output sockets, the one marked "ADSL" is directly connected to the input; the one marked "Phone" is filtered). While you are having troubles, have it connected to the first socket in your house (nearest to the outside line) and have everything else unplugged. When it works, you can add filters and phones. ;)

Agent_24
23-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Changing the connection mode (T1.413, G.dmt, G.lite etc) might help, some are 'stronger' than others. (note: telecom do not support all of the ones your modem does, so it still may not work)