PDA

View Full Version : Resizing cells in Word tables

John H
22-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi folks

This has got me stumped. On my office computer, Word XP will not let me alter the size of cells within tables. I can do it using my laptop, but on my office computer, nothing happens and it is driving me nuts.

When I click on a cell border, the two vertical parallel lines appear instead of the cursor, but not the grid line that normally shows across the whole table. Dragging has no effect. I have tried holding down shift key, control key and neither makes any difference. I have gone into table properties and turned of 'automatically resize to contents', and restarted Word as well, but still no go.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This has worked fine ever since I bought Office XP years ago, so why has it started doing this now? Grrrrr.

Thanks for any help.
John

bones
22-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Not sure if this may be of some help.
http://www.uwec.edu/Help/Word03/tb-resz.htm#adjust
I've had a quick try but can't reproduce your problem.

John H
22-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks bones. Those instructions are what I normally do, and that is what I have tried to do, but this document seems to have the tables locked in some way, and I can't find out what is causing it. Thanks anyway.

John :badpc:

bones
22-05-2006, 10:20 PM
When your cursor changes to the two vertical lines and you left click, does the ruler appear?

John H
23-05-2006, 07:01 AM
No, nothing happens. It all works fine if I set up a new document, but this document seems to be a rebel.

bones
23-05-2006, 07:31 AM
I wonder if making a new normal.dot template would have any effect?

John H
23-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I might try that bones. Good idea. Only trick is to retain all of the current autotext entries in the new Normal template! All those addresses....

Thanks.

godfather
23-05-2006, 09:25 AM
A new Normal.dot will not cure anything related to an existing document (which may be corrupted in this case I suspect).

Select all and copy - paste to a new document is worth a try, but it may carry over any corruption as well.

John H
23-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks GF. I suspect you are right about this file having some kind of corruption. It is a document that was created some months ago by an original author (not me), but over the past month I have been reviewing it and making heaps of changes, both to content, layout, and formatting. I just think the poor thing has got tired of this abuse and has said 'enough already'.

I tried select all, and copying and pasting as you suggested, and you are right - the 'corruption' if that is what it is, went with it.

I then tried a Save as... and created a new document that way. For some reason the new document allowed me to do the cell resizing, but only when I held down the Alt key! Go figure as they say...

I think it must be something to do with the state of the document after so much editing - there is some form of corruption, but it does not prevent the document being usable in all other ways.

Thanks for your help, and bone's help as well.

John