View Full Version : Dongle!

21-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi fellow computer enthusiasts, do any of you guys what a dongle is If you didn't know what a dongle is it is a a small hardware device that attaches to your PC and acts as an authentication key for a particular Piece of softare. Without the dongle that particular software will not run or start properly.

Hope you guys learnt something maybe from a newb like me :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Yup. I've got one here somewhere actually.

21-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I was under the impression that it was a device that plugged in to an USB Port. It consists of two parts, a transmitter and a receiver. The part that gets plugged into your computer looks like a flash drive. This is the receiver. The transmitter is about the diameter of a twenty cent piece and sits in your pocket. Walk away from your computer and it closes down and locks up.
Come back and the computer is unlocked and ready to Rock 'n' Roll. You can put in a password just in case you lose the transmitter.

Now here's the clever part. Pull out the transmitter and the computer remains locked!! Ideal for a laptop.

Jaycars Australia sell them for about $80.00 but don't think they are sold in New Zealand. If they are, please tell me where.


Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Close but this dongle is to run certain programs. Without it, the program wont work.

It plugs into a com port / serial port.

I think this dongle was for an Amiga database program.

22-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I had a dongle...but it fell off from lack of use. :lol:

Actually I had one that plugged into the USB port and was used to authenticate the Fugawi mapping software I used. Without the dongle the program wouldn't run. The software has since been upgraded to online authentication and doesn't need the dongle anymore.

22-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Burnzee i know what your'e talking about but I don't think it's called a Dongle. The thing your talking about is just like a user password ( activated when the user in in around 2 metres range of the computer ) that you need to unlock your computer, as you said. ;)

Graham L
22-05-2006, 04:54 PM
It's just a name for a small plug-in device. The possible uses are many and varied. They used to be mostly db25 connectors, sometimes "pass-through" wired so the port (serial or parallel) could still be used as a port. One I've seen the wiring of allows the passwords on a particular manufacturer's laptops to be reset. ;) A lot of expensive software came with one, to enforce use on only one computer.

Terry Porritt
22-05-2006, 05:04 PM
AutoCad used to come with a dongle to plug into the parallel port, or at least the ancient system we had on NEC 386's at DSIR did :)

22-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Just found out from my Aussie mate at work they call flash drives DONGLES. Is there a Australian in the house who is prepared to confirm or deny this?