PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with no idea needs help PLEASE!

Cel
20-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi,
Here is my problem.
I have one of those embedded card reader thingys. (Excuse my poor terminology)
I only use one of the slots in it to take photos of my phone's memory card and put them onto the computer.
I was using it earlier tonight, exactly the same way I have always been.
After about 20 mins of using it, I put the memory card back in the slot to move one more picture over.
When I went to open it, my E, F, G and H drives had all disappeared.
The H drive is the one I use for the photo transfers.

I am hopeless with computers, and have no idea what has happened or how to fix it.
Can anyone please tell me how to get my drives back?

Thanks you, Cel

gcarmich
20-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Shut the computer down, then turn it back on and see if they re-appear.

Cel
20-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried..

They werent there, I have avtally restarted twice.

Deimos
20-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Go to your device manager and see if you have any devices with a "!" next to them, you may need to reload drivers, or delete the device and restart, windows will reload the driver on reboot.

If there are no devices with "!", right click any of the device categories in device manager and click "scan for hardware changes" then go through the process of loading drivers (if anything comes up that is).

Greven
20-05-2006, 11:58 PM
what do you mean by "embedded"? do you mean it slots into a drive bay in your computer rather than being external & connecting via USB?

Have you tried unplugging all teh cables & plugging them back in again?

Cel
21-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all your help guys.

They magically reappeared now.. I have no clue how.
But thanks for your time and advice anyway :)

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2006, 07:05 AM
what do you mean by "embedded"? do you mean it slots into a drive bay in your computer rather than being external & connecting via USB?

Have you tried unplugging all the cables & plugging them back in again?

Embedded means internal card reader. (it gets installed in a spare floppy drive bay). And is connected to USB 2 headers on the mobo.

Even the icons for this reader disappear in my computer sometimes.

Sometimes, on bootup, the BIOS doesnt detect it, coz the power LED on the reader is telling the system, that it's "off". A simple reboot usually fixes this.

And sometimes, if the system "detects" that it is, ("off") it wont load the icons / driver for it (some internal card readers also have a program, so the SD/SM/MS/MMC icons show up for the different slots in My computer).

Instead of the boring MS icons that have no writing on them, to tell u which letter belongs to which slot.

In XP, the icons also refresh themselves every so often (in My computer, with or without the program). With this reader the seticon command usually gets added to startup (this is the command for this reader), that makes the icons for the card reader refresh, every say 10-15 mins. In My computer,

BUT this seticon command (so I've read) is pretty hopeless. And can slow a system down when it runs on bootup/startup.

So, I deleted it from startup and changed the registry, so the icons still come up for it.

Cel
21-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Grr.

They have disappeared again!
They were there when I started up today, then when I stuck in my memory card, they magically disappeared as before.

This is really annoying, is there any way I can permanantly stop it happening?

Thanks, Cel