PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek TV tuner

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 01:58 PM
As some of you know I've got a leadtek tv tuner now, and i've had it all sorted out for some time via aerial etc, but now I want to be able to watch and record sky television, but i'm not sure how to do this..

I have a scart to av cable (one with scart on one end and the other end has red yellow white plugs) but thers no where on the tuner to plug these...is there a adaptor of some sort that can enable me to do this?

Or is there a complete different but legal way to get sky on my computer?

Cheers

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 02:10 PM
You'll need a scart to 5 pin / 6 pin plug / adapter.

Or whatever the pin din plug is on the tuner.

Then run the PVR program and switch it to CVBS or one of the other settings.

This is if you've got a sky decoder. I take it, you have 1.

If you havent then u cant get Sky with the TV tuner by itself. (legally that is).

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 02:45 PM
hey
thanks for your fast reply :)
the only plugs i see on the tuner is the aerial plug and some pin plug next to it that you scan screw some aerial (i think) into it...and one for a half circle with flat bottom plug whatever uc all them....i know nothing about their names lol.

i assume these are purchaseable at dicks smith?

Thanks

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 02:53 PM
You've got the Deluxe tuner right??

If so, this has a FM aerial input, the TV aerial and a 6 pin plug I think it is, its got CVBS etched by it.

It'll be similar to this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/446e764b0591d988273fc0a87f99074c/Product/View/C1021)

BUT, the one you want is a 6 pin not 5 pin....

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 03:02 PM
hello,
just swam behind my computer and had a look...yep cvbs next to a 6 pin plug...

so how exactly does it connect to the sky decoder though... as I thought the scart plug plugs into decoder and you need a adaptor that plugs the red/yellow/white plugs into the tuner? but the cable you're showing me on the dicks smith website says theres a different way to connect it?

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, thats a good question. Doesnt the decoder have RCA connections??

Otherwise, depending on what the RCA connection end looks like (at the end of that scart cable, if it's got the - or the o at the end of it), you'll need the opposite adapter with the 6 pin plug on the end of it.

So, it plugs into the back of the tuner.

Only thing is, it maybe a bit tricky trying to find a 6 pin plug and RCA connections on the other end.

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey :)

the coloured plug sockets on the back of the decoder are...

red for audio right
white for audio left
orange for mono...
and yellow for video...

so I plug the 6 pin cable coloured plug into the yellow, and the pinned end into the tuner, then fiddle with the software and switch to cvbs etc etc.....am I correct?

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 03:31 PM
hey...i found this....dont know if its actually the correct one as its got some power thing included in the cabling...

http://www.gamma.co.nz/view_product.php?product=CVA6922R&PHPSESSID=c7d5430a26bd5a9ca4af99e4770fc7a4

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey :)

the coloured plug sockets on the back of the decoder are...

red for audio right
white for audio left
orange for mono...
and yellow for video...

so I plug the 6 pin cable coloured plug into the yellow, and the pinned end into the tuner, then fiddle with the software and switch to cvbs etc etc.....am I correct?

Red and white for the audio HAVE to be plugged into line in on the soundcard as well. So, you get sound. You'll be able to record, but if you dont plug anything into line in, on the soundcard, you wont get any sound.

So, you would also need a cable with 2 (or 3) RCA plugs on one end, and a 3.5 mm stereo adapter on the other end.

One end of this cable (the RCA plugs), will plug into the red and white audio left/right sockets on the decoder.

And the other end into line in on the soundcard.

Something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/446e7b7a06f113f6273fc0a87f990741/Product/View/C1240)

The CVBS 6 pin plug, I think doesnt give u audio. Only video.

Or you could get a cable, with 3 RCA plugs on it, (one for audio left/right and the video for the decoder), and 1 3.5mm stereo plug, and 1 6 pin din plug (which may not be easy to find), on the other end (as the 3.5 mm stereo plug).

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 03:41 PM
hey...i found this....dont know if its actually the correct one as its got some power thing included in the cabling...

http://www.gamma.co.nz/view_product.php?product=CVA6922R&PHPSESSID=c7d5430a26bd5a9ca4af99e4770fc7a4

That looks like the right adapter. A bit short tho...

Just as long as the other end (not the RCA plug end), has pins not the holes, like the back of your tuner.

It should work. Only one of the RCA plugs on this cable maybe needed if both are video. One of the RCA plugs, would plug into video out on the decoder. (the yellow socket)

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Would this set up work....

I've seen on trademe and dicks smith a small box adaptor that you plug scart into and the other side has 3 RCA plugs and a 5 plug... http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/446e82b60804fade273fc0a87f99070b/Product/View/P6675

can I plug the rca ends into the sky decoder, and the scart end into the adaptor and find a cable that has a 5 pin on 1 side and a 6 pin on the other (if its easier than finding a 6 pin with RCA) and use that to connect adaptor to tuner...

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 03:46 PM
or would using http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/446e8382082aa010273fc0a87f990708/Product/View/X8207 enable me to find a 5pin RCA easier?

And i dont need to worry about sound at all :) but will keep the method in mind incase i need to record sound sometime.

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2006, 03:56 PM
You could get the scart adapter, but you'll still need the cable for the 6 pin plug, so u can plug it in, from this adapter to the CVBS socket, on the tuner.

csinclair83
20-05-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks heaps for your help, i'll go and do some searching, will let you know how I get on :)

csinclair83
21-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey,
i was tidying up behind my computer, and found some cables, one was actually a cable that can receive a yellow RCA and had a 6pin on the other end....
so plugged in scart to decoder, yellow rca to the connector, then 6pin into tuner....and voila, it works :D
am now receiving sky etc on my computer, records well, only thing is no sound but i dont need it so all is well now...

must have dropped it when unpacked the tuner or something, gotta admit its a bit messy around my PC!

Thanks so much for your help :)

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Good to hear u got it up and running :)