PDA

View Full Version : Could my DVD Discs be Faulty

ephesus
19-05-2006, 05:23 PM
My unused DVD+R discs have ZERO free space and ZERO used space. File system is RAW. They are new from months ago but were at the bottom of a pack. The problem is that I can't copy files to the discs. Do they need formatting or are they faulty. I haven't had this problem from the same pack of disc before. Any comments will be welcome.

Antmannz
19-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I think they'll need formatting first

ephesus
19-05-2006, 05:53 PM
How do you actually format a DVD Disc?

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2006, 05:53 PM
If you're using XP, using XP's built in burning doesnt / wont work, if you're trying to format or copy to DVD. Only CD's.

If you're using something like Nero, Or some Ulead program, then no they dont need formatting. Whatever program u use will burn straight to the DVD.

DON'T format blank DVD's if you going to burn video to them. It'll make them unusable / coasters.

bob_doe_nz
19-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Hang on, you mean DVD+RW not DVD+R right?

ephesus
19-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes. I was trying to burnt video to them but can't. It's blank - no free space, no used space. I have always been able to burnt video direct to these particular brand of discs. My DVD is not faulty as I can play discs on them. Any suggestions?

ephesus
19-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Hang on, you mean DVD+RW not DVD+R right?

DVD+R

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes. I was trying to burnt video to them but can't. It's blank - no free space, no used space. I have always been able to burnt video direct to these particular brand of discs. My DVD is not faulty as I can play discs on them. Any suggestions?

And what program, are you using?

ephesus
19-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Tried XP, then Ulead DVD Movie Factory. Both came back with error!

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Ok. well XP definitely wont work.

XP doesn't usually work with burning to DVD. Only CD's.

Ulead should burn to DVD ok. Just don't format the DVD's before you burn them.

Just chuck the blank DVD in.

Add whatever files (I take it the Ulead program knows what the video format file/s, you added to it are)?

What kind of files are you adding to it? AVI/MPEG?

Then add titles / whatever, then burn.

I dont know what options Ulead programs have. I use Nero/Nerovision.

ephesus
19-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Just tried Ulead again. While attempting to burn to DVD, message said "Disc is not empty or there is no disc in the device". I have tried several discs of the same pack and I know that they are NEW discs.

Oh..my dvd wouldn't eject now..it happened a few times when I tried to write to these dvds..wonder if there is any connection.

I have even tried copying files to DVD from XP but to no avail.

Shall I dump those DVDs and get new ones? They are the last 8 of a pack of 30. :help:

Jen
19-05-2006, 08:22 PM
If the other DVDs in the same bundle burnt OK previously, then these could just be faulty DVDs. Were they a cheap brand? I noticed you said they were at the bottom of a 30 spindle pack. Try a different brand, this should also help rule out a faulty DVD burner.

ephesus
19-05-2006, 08:29 PM
If the other DVDs in the same bundle burnt OK previously, then these could just be faulty DVDs. Were they a cheap brand? I noticed you said they were at the bottom of a 30 spindle pack. Try a different brand, this should also help rule out a faulty DVD burner.

That's what I think as they are cheap and freebies from a retailer. I suppose one would expect all the discs in the spindle pack to be in the same good condition. I have tried burning files to CDs and it worked perfectly well. Will get some other DVDs to try. Thanks.