PDA

View Full Version : networking question

phylip
18-05-2006, 05:45 PM
if i have 10 computers 5 in each room how can i make it so that each room cant see the others on the network?
help please this has been bugging me for weeks

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Well depends what version of windows you're using (If you're using Windows), on all of them.

XP Home u cant have more than 5 and Pro not more than 10.

Whats the point of networking them, if u dont want them to see each other?

Just dont enable file/printer sharing. Or dont share a folder on any of them.

Altho if u do this, I dont see the point in networking them in the first place.

Graham L
18-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Speedy, there are plenty of reasons to want to do this. Most real computer networks are organised like this, because big organisations don't want everyone to be able to see the accounts department computers ;) I doubt if this is intended to be peer-peer connecting, so the limits in XP don't apply.

There are a number of ways ... the easiest would be to have separate switches for each room, not connected to each other.;) I suspect that you might want both rooms to share access to the Internet through a single ADSL connection.

If you allocate IP addresses manually, you could give one room addresses in the 192.168.1.x range and the other room addresses in 192.168.2.x, and the two LANs thus created will be invisible to each other. I don't know if the router in an ADSL modem/router would cope with this: it will "probably" handle providing Internet connection to both networks; and "should" allow for rules which stop it from routing between them.

I'm not sure how secure this would be against ingenious "little darlings". :( (They might discover how to change the IP address themselves). You might be able to lock down the router so it uses the MAC address of the Ethernet cards to specify where client machines are, and which roomnet they are on.

phylip
18-05-2006, 06:27 PM
the reason i want this is so the buisness computers and the gaming computers can both access the internet and printer but cant access each others files

thanks
and if anyone could verify how i would do this i would appreciate it

Speedy, there are plenty of reasons to want to do this. Most real computer networks are organised like this, because big organisations don't want everyone to be able to see the accounts department computers ;) I doubt if this is intended to be peer-peer connecting, so the limits in XP don't apply.

There are a number of ways ... the easiest would be to have separate switches for each room, not connected to each other.;) I suspect that you might want both rooms to share access to the Internet through a single ADSL connection.

If you allocate IP addresses manually, you could give one room addresses in the 192.168.1.x range and the other room addresses in 192.168.2.x, and the two LANs thus created will be invisible to each other. I don't know if the router in an ADSL modem/router would cope with this: it will "probably" handle providing Internet connection to both networks; and "should" allow for rules which stop it from routing between them.

I'm not sure how secure this would be against ingenious "little darlings". :( (They might discover how to change the IP address themselves). You might be able to lock down the router so it uses the MAC address of the Ethernet cards to specify where client machines are, and which roomnet they are on.

tweak'e
18-05-2006, 06:45 PM
simply untick "share files" on all the pc's and leave "share printers" ticked. where thosr optoins are might vary depending on OS.

however seeing its buisnesses pc's shouldn't you be asking the IT tech before you go changing anything?

Rob99
18-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Simple soultion: Two different workgroups
Hard soultion: Set up a domain server

ughnz
18-05-2006, 11:02 PM

The simplest way is to use 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.128 for one group of computers and 192.168.1.128/255.255.255.128 for the other group of computers.
Then you set the ADSL modem/router with a 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 address.

Providing the ADSL modem/router is used as the gateway with auto route discovery disabled then traffic from the 2 subnets should remain isolated from each other.
This will depend on the ADSL modem/router being a true switch.

You should be able to pinhole the NAT as well to any PC.

I use a setup like this for my wireless / wired network connections.

Deimos
19-05-2006, 01:28 AM
I've done a whole study course on subnetting and I am currently going through my Networking exam to become an MCSE.

If you use subnets of 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.128 the computers on each subnet should not be able to communicate with each other at all (including internet).

The only REAL solution is to have a separate network, with its own switch plus a router to connect to the second network and the internet, the router can block any unsolicited traffic from the "lower" network.

the router needs 2 network cards to connect to both subnets, the one connected to the work network would have an IP of 192.168.100.1, the network card connected to the "gaming" network would have an IP of 192.168.200.2, and your internet router would be 192.168.200.1
Your work computers would have an IP range of 192.168.100.0/255.255.255.0 with a default gateway of 192.168.100.1 (your routers I.P.) the gaming machines would have an IP range of 192.168.200.0/255.255.255.0 and the default gateway on the gaming machines and on the network card of your work router (connected to the 192.168.200.0 network) would be set to 192.168.200.1

Have fun! ;)

Deimos
19-05-2006, 01:30 AM
oh, and don't forget:

how much work would a network work if a network could network?