PDA

View Full Version : Am I connected to the Internet?

CaptinMoor
16-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi there guys and girls. I have a friend that is connect to the net via a dial up connection. But seems to be having a bit of trouble with it lately. I will allow him to Dial up but will not allow IE or Firefox to show any webpages. Zonealarm shows that there is traffic back and forward, or in and out, but cant get it to do what you want.

Has anyone had this problem before. Can you let me know how you fixed the problem.

Thanks

Captin Moor

kingdragonfly
16-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Are you connected to the Internet, my son?

We are all connected to the Internet. We are just an endless stream of bits, always trying to find the correct route.

Seriously, if you double-click the ZoneAlarm icon, in the system tray, go to Program control, you should allow both browser to connect.

Speedy Gonzales
16-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Norton Internet Security and ZA have a habit of turning its main service off.

(The service, that lets u browse). If it shuts down / disables itself u can connect, but nothing else.

Nortons with its proxy server and ZA, Truevector Internet Monitor.

If your mate has XP, get him to go to control panel / admin tools / services.

Check the ZA entry and make sure its automatic and started.

If it keeps doing it go to the same place except go to the recovery tab and change all 3 top options, to restart the service.

CaptinMoor
17-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I have tryed booting on the bear minium and it still happens. I have had so that there is no Firewal running at all an it still happenes. Any other advice would be great thanks guys

Safari
17-05-2006, 08:36 AM
I have tryed booting on the bear minium and it still happens. I have had so that there is no Firewal running at all an it still happenes. Any other advice would be great thanks guys

If it is XP download this Winsock XP fix from this link and run it on the affected computer.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2006, 10:25 AM
If a firewall has been installed, but isnt running.

It doesnt mean it cant still screw things up.

Esp Nortons and ZA. If either of their services have stopped, as in my previous post. You still wont be able to browse.

With previous versions of ZA, when u uninstalled ZA (if this is what you've done).

It used to leave "fragments" of it files etc and entries in the registry.

And it would still block you from browsing the net.

Even, when its uninstalled lol. It used to be a PITA to get rid of completely.

CaptinMoor
18-05-2006, 10:49 AM
The machine i am working on s a brand spanking new HP Media centre so this is quite embarrising. Besides a new install of the OS can you think of any other way around this problem.

Thanks

Safari
18-05-2006, 10:57 AM
You don't say if you have tried any of the things already suggested.

Post a hijackthis log from Speedy Gonzales signature so we can see what you have running on the computer.

tweak'e
18-05-2006, 11:52 AM
if ZA is showing traffic in and out then mostlikly its working. either your infected with something and your browser wo't work cause the infection is hogging the net access.

what have you allowed and blocked in ZA's program control ?