PDA

View Full Version : computer wont stop restarting itself

joee
16-05-2006, 04:28 AM
i havea compaq presario 2.53 ghz 512 ram and almost everything hasbeen replacedbut the harddrive and mothr boardso itsdown to those two things .. idk y but forsome reason ill be doing whatever im doing and itll be running fineand out of nowhere it will reboot then while it its rebooting itll restartagain usally i just turn it off and leave it off fo a hour and turn it on and its good again but just wanted to see what u thought .. the computer runs fine fast as hell had it maybe 2 3 years still runs tip top shape except this restarting prblem now ..

TiJay
16-05-2006, 04:43 AM
First off, Welcome to PCWorld Forums...

You said you replaced most of the parts - have you replaced the PSU? Check the Power Supply Unit of the case, if it is 350W there is your problem - if it's less - I don't even know how it got past POST! :P

But this is more than likely a PSU problem, easy fix. One warning, though - if you spend more than 50 bucks on a new PSU - you are being overcharged...I may have gotten lucky with my resent purchase of 480W for $24.95, but Best Buy next door was charging $149.99 for the same thing - make sure you don't get screwed over with it - it's cheaper than an MMX processor :P

Good Luck

FoxyMX
16-05-2006, 10:31 AM
<cough>
TiJay, we aren't exactly sure of joee's country of residence but as this is a NZ forum we assume most members are NZers therefore your prices for PSUs won't exactly apply to us here. ;) :p

joee go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings and remove the tick from "Automatically restart". Hopefully you will then get an error message that you can post here for interpretation.

joee
17-05-2006, 04:49 AM
ill def cehck that out.. but i also read that something with the fan .. when they get to clogged might cause ur comp to restart or shutoff cause it gets to hot ... so i took off the fan and pull out giant clumps or dust and dog hair .. very thick dog hair .. since i did that two days ago the computer hasnt restarted once could that have just been the problem all along
..?

Greg
17-05-2006, 05:12 AM
ill def cehck that out.. but i also read that something with the fan .. when they get to clogged might cause ur comp to restart or shutoff cause it gets to hot ... so i took off the fan and pull out giant clumps or dust and dog hair .. very thick dog hair .. since i did that two days ago the computer hasnt restarted once could that have just been the problem all along
..?I think you found the problem Einstein. :rolleyes:

FoxyMX
17-05-2006, 09:58 AM
so i took off the fan and pull out giant clumps or dust and dog hair .. very thick dog hair .. since i did that two days ago the computer hasnt restarted once could that have just been the problem all along
..?
Yes, most definitely. :stare: :waughh:

kingdragonfly
17-05-2006, 11:00 AM
To joee's benefit, he/she did at least post a follow up post with the solution. More than a lot of new forum members do.

Cicero
17-05-2006, 11:24 AM
To joee's benefit, he/she did at least post a follow up post with the solution. More than a lot of new forum members do.
Indeed. :thumbs:

Myth
17-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I would query however the PSU wattage thing....
TiJay.. in my own experiences, a reasonably crappy (PC Company) 250W PSU will boot a P4 2.66 Northwood, with 2 optical drives and 2 Seagate harddrives (total 120GB) with no problems whatsoever. The ONLY reason it was replaced was the noise factor (I wanted a quieter computer).
The issue may have come down to the PSU (which in this case it didnt) but I dont believe that anything under 350W should be labeled as no good just coz its under 350W

What do other members think?

muzzle
17-05-2006, 01:14 PM
well, i have had issues with 350W PSU's and 400W PSU's also, some hardware just plays funny tricks and take more power than they should. The hardware in question was a new (not high spec) AGP board for my sister's pc, it just happened to drag a whole lot of watt's :P

FoxyMX
17-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I think you mean to joee's credit rather than benefit. ;)

But yes, I agree absolutely. :thumbs:

SolMiester
17-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Nothing wrong with 350W PSU, mine is powering the pc in my signature. There are better brands than otheres thou!

muzzle
17-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Yes, that is corrent, the number of AMP's supplied to the 12V Rail will affect how well the Watt's used. As a general rule, more amps on 12V rail is better, and cheap psu's usuallt distribute the watt's in a way that your not getting the full power your deserve :P

pctek
17-05-2006, 04:10 PM
a reasonably crappy (PC Company) 250W PSU will boot a P4 2.66 Northwood, with 2 optical drives and 2 Seagate harddrives (total 120GB) with no problems whatsoever.
What do other members think?
It may indeed. As others have mentioned the amps matter more.

But also, the crappy PC Company may boot the above hardware - until it one day when it doesn't. In my experience good quality PSUs that fail, die quietly, cheap, nasty ones tend to take out all or most of the other hardware with it.

I know which I'd prefer....

joee
18-05-2006, 02:04 AM
so i guess it was the fan all along ... thank god it was that easy but the watts on it im not sure but the last tme my friend lookedat it i believe it was 400 watts if not 350 but im prettysure its 400 i would ook but i gotta run out right now but illdef look to see what it is later but if it isa 350 .. i dont get y that wouldbe bad thought i mean od never hada prblemwith it in the past i mean the computer was a lil noisy when it more programswere runnin u would hear the compuiter working .. very loud .. but since i took the stuff out itsbeen quiet very very quiet u dont hear a thing ..