PDA

View Full Version : portable harddisk drive trouble

gusdey
15-05-2006, 08:07 PM
on saterday i received a seagate barracuda 80 gb drive and a portablehard drive encloser,as i need a portible hardrive for 3d work. i set the jumper to master and formatted it.each time i connect the harddrive to my computer and other ones it changes the drive letter Eg.E,F,G,H etc going through the alphabet.And sometimes i get a error message saying it is not a reconised usb device .Is this normal ? and is it normal for it to come under hard disk drives or should it come under removable storage
i am lost ,some help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

FoxyMX
15-05-2006, 08:30 PM
What version of Windows are you using? If you have WinXP or W2K change the drive letter to your choice:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

Highlight it, right click mouse > Change drive letter and paths.

gusdey
15-05-2006, 08:52 PM
cheer for you replie

i have changed the drive letter through the computer management before
but when i discconect the usb port and connect it again it has a new drive letter to it.And when i use my 3d applications and go to save my work i have like ten extra disk drives with different drive letters and none of these drives exist lol somewhat annoying

FoxyMX
16-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't have an external hard drive (yet) but it sounds like it is normal for the drive to be assigned different drive letters depending on what other devices are attached at the time. I would think it would be listed as a removeable drive but am not 100% sure on that one.

Sorry I can't be of more help but hopefully someone else who knows more will be able to provide answers soon.

kingdragonfly
16-05-2006, 03:25 PM
I've come across at least one defective USB laptop drive enclosure, which was randomly resetting.

Drive letters shouldn't crawl through the alphabet sequentially if nothing is changing on your PC (like mapped network drives, new devices.)

You shouldn't be getting "not a reconised usb device" messages either.

I'd suspect a bad enclosure.

Graham L
16-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Are you using the "remove USB device" thingy in the toolbar, or just unplugging the USB cable?

heni72847
16-05-2006, 05:13 PM
i set mine to X and Y so it doesn't collide with other stuf i plugin

my first enclousure is dodgy as well
kinda disconnects itself randomly when copying little files
got another one and worked fine
so lend my old one to a friend
and that case works fine on his computer
so.. yea.. try diff case/comp might help