PDA

View Full Version : linux box keeps unmounting a partition

Greven
15-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I've got a linux box with 3 main partitions -
20 gig for / (61% used)
80 gig for /home (100% used)
200 gig for /home/archive (31% used)

The first 2 partitions are fine, but it keeps dropping the archive partition. It works fine for a while, but then drops it for no apparent reason & I have to re-mount it.

any ideas on why it might be doing that & how to fix it?

Myth
15-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Possible the archive mount is trying to mount before home?

What order are they in in fstab?

If this is the case unsure how you can fix other than manually mounting the archive mount

Greven
15-05-2006, 01:20 PM
/home is before /home/archive in fstab.

dolby digital
15-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Any error messages in /var/log. Maybe the kernel found a problem with it.

Greven
15-05-2006, 03:44 PM
someone told me to run dmesg, so I posted the output at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=444810

it looks like it is all taken from /var/log/messages

Jen
15-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Can you please post your fstab contents (/etc/fstab).

Is the drive sATA or IDE? You have the archive drive mounted in /home and not /home/user_name/? Why not mount the archive drive under /mnt and make a shortcut to it from your /home/user_name/ directory?

I would imagine having your /home at 100% full isn't helping matters ...

dolby digital
15-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Just reviewing your dmesg output, hde is mounted as /home and hdf is mounted as /home/archive. Isn't there a conflict there or can Linux handle a particular subdirectory of /home on a different drive (i.e. /home/archive) to all other subdirectories of /home (how ever many there may be).

Graham L
15-05-2006, 05:47 PM
You can mount anything (almost) anywhere (almost).

You might have a problem with where the archive mount poiint is.

Is it in the root of the partition mounted on /home (PMo/H) or was it created in the /home directory in the main / directory which is used to mount the PMo/H? If it's the latter, it will disappear when the PMo/H is mounted.

I know that's a bit confusing,. thougj that's as clearly as I can explain it. ;)

Mount points are just ordinary directories. They are usually empty except for . and .. when nothing is mounted to them, but there's nothing to stop one having lost of files and sub-directories. They just "disappear" as long as something is mounted.

Greven
16-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Can you please post your fstab contents (/etc/fstab).
I've posted it to my thread on linuxquestions.org - the link is in my earlier post