PDA

View Full Version : HP printer does not print labels ! - official !

Digby
14-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi guys

I just bought a HP inkjet model 3940.

It produces good print quality and is nice and fast for such a cheap low end printer.

But it has 3 short comings I want to warn you about.

ONE - it will not print on to Avery Laser labels. It just eats them up and jams up the printer. Their web site says it will print onto HP labels which I do not think are available here in NZ. Avery labels are the world leaders and for a printer to not print on to them is not very good.

TWO - the printer driver software is very clunky and it takes quite a few mouse clicks to select a print mode eg draft. It also defaults all the the time to Letter size not A4 and I do not seem able to change this.

THREE - all of my spreadsheets print out smaller (about 95%) than my previous HP printer a HP 3600 sereis. This is very annoying as the print outs look much different. Surely a Windows printer should print WYSIWYG.

Does anyone one know of a web site where I can report such problems as these so as to warn other people before they buy one of these printers.I believe some such consumer product sites do exist.

Regards

Digby
Tauranga

pctek
14-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Have you tried a different driver?

If its that bad take it back and get your money back - Unsuitable for the Purpose.

andrew93
14-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Digby

Before posting a warning on this product you could try
chatting to an online technician here. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=445449&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en) (there is a link on the right hand side of the webpage) HP also have a user forum where you can post your problem and other users will post the solution(s). I can't find the official HP forum at the moment, but this page may be of some assistance. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=445449&lang=en&docname=bud09189)

Regarding the default paper size, you haven't told us your OS but assuming you are using Windows XP, this issue is very common with new installations of HP printers on XP. To resolve it open the printer directory (Start > Printers or Start > Control Panel > Printers), right click the 3940 > Properties > Device Settings > set the page size to A4 > Apply > Advanced Tab > Printing Defaults > Advanced > check the page size is A4 > General tab > Printing Preferences > Advanced > check the page size is A4 > Apply > the box that displays the 'paper size available' should no longer show 'Letter'. By setting the device to A4 (instead of letter) this may resolve the 95% issue. If not it may be a auto-reduction issue to fit the page inside pre-set print margins. Personally I would have thought a deskjet could print pretty close the edge of the paper.

As for the labels, I cannot see any HP branded labels available through an HP whoelsaler and it is a shame the printer won't work with Avery labels. What happens? Does a corner get turned and then the whole page gets stick? Or does a label peel off inside the printer? We have seen a number of issues with labels recently where the manufacturers have slightly reduced the overall size of the page causing feed problems. In other cases the plastic backing can no longer tolerate the temperatures inside the printer and curl. The manufacturers have recently changed something with their labels because we saw a sudden and immediate increase in call-outs due to labels getting stuck in printers. Lastly being winter, a high moisture content will impact how paper is handled within a printer, so that is also food for thought.

HTH, Andrew

Digby
14-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Regarding the default paper size, you haven't told us your OS but assuming you are using Windows XP, this issue is very common with new installations of HP printers on XP. To resolve it open the printer directory (Start > Printers or Start > Control Panel > Printers), right click the 3940 > Properties > Device Settings > set the page size to A4 > Apply > Advanced Tab > Printing Defaults > Advanced > check the page size is A4 > General tab > Printing Preferences > Advanced > check the page size is A4 > Apply > the box that displays the 'paper size available' should no longer show 'Letter'. By setting the device to A4 (instead of letter) this may resolve the 95% issue. If not it may be a auto-reduction issue to fit the page inside pre-set print margins. Personally I would have thought a deskjet could print pretty close the edge of the paper.
HTH, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that, you are obviously a great fan of HP printers or an employee of theirs ! Anyway. The first few steps you suggest do not work as there is no page size option under the Advanced tab on my machine. - XP.

But the second part did seem to work. I will test it on a few spreadsheet print outs.

PS since I installed my 3940 a few of my Access Databases have been printing out strangley. If I have a report with a long list of data it does not fill the full A4 page as it used but but only prints 3/4 of the data before starting a new page. This is very annoying. I will see if changing to A4 default has made any difference. The strange thing is that it is only some reports and I have lots of reports.

Regards

Digby

Regards

Digby

Digby
14-05-2006, 03:50 PM
As for the labels, I cannot see any HP branded labels available through an HP whoelsaler and it is a shame the printer won't work with Avery labels. What happens? Does a corner get turned and then the whole page gets stick? Or does a label peel off inside the printer? We have seen a number of issues with labels recently where the manufacturers have slightly reduced the overall size of the page causing feed problems. In other cases the plastic backing can no longer tolerate the temperatures inside the printer and curl. The manufacturers have recently changed something with their labels because we saw a sudden and immediate increase in call-outs due to labels getting stuck in printers. Lastly being winter, a high moisture content will impact how paper is handled within a printer, so that is also food for thought.
HTH, Andrew

Hi Andrew

Once again thanks for the suggestions, but my problem is that the labels won't even feed in. The printer just drags a bit of the label in and then it skews to one side and jams up. I did email HP support and got a reply that this model does not support Avery labels !

It also tends to do a similar thing with my photo paper - Kodak Glossy 165 gsm but it recovers and prints it OK. But I get the feeling that this printer cannot handle paper stock much over 120 gsm. Which is a negative aspect to it as most low end purchases/users will want to print on various media types.

I will certainly read up on a manufacturers web site before purchasing my next printer. These things are not mentioned on the point of sale material in the stores or on the printer box !

Kind Regards

Digby

andrew93
14-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Digby

So long as you get the device settings part to A4 that may be enough to sort out the A4 / letter issue. As for the Access database only printing on the first part of the page, have you checked the print margins on the Access report? And the default print margins in Access? You will need to restart the database (or the PC) for the changes to take effect.

Regarding the weight of the paper, that model is only rated for paper weights of 60-90gsm (see here for the printer / paper spec's (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=445449&lang=en&docname=c00369530#N829)). What you have described is the pick up mechanism slipping on the page. Either there is insufficient pressure on the page or there is insufficient grip on the paper. You can't change the grip on the paper but you can alter the pressure by loading more (or less) pages into the paper tray. If that doesn't work then you are out of options, other than trying a lesser weight generic label or manually pushing in 1 page at a time.

Unfortunately you are correct - you should research these things first but it is near to impossible to do this in a retail situation. Another thing to consider is the cost of consumables versus the cost of the printer - very often there is an inverse relationship between the two - the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the consumables. It is always worth looking into that before buying a printer.

No I don't work for HP (or any agent) and I detest deskjet and inkjet printers (including HP, because they are a consumer trap) but I work with a lot of HP laser printers. They are hard to fault and yes I am a fan of them (especially the older models, the new models are yet to stand the test of time).

Good luck
Andrew

Digby
16-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that Andrew

Regards

Digby